Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I am currently in y10 and I have chosen biology,chemistry,physics,french ,and history( compulsory are:math,english lit english lang and re) and the thing is I dont know if I should do further maths because I feel like it might be too much with my choices( I want to go into medicine) and I dont know if I should drop physics if its not necessary for medicine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madadi11)
    So I am currently in y10 and I have chosen biology,chemistry,physics,french ,and history( compulsory are:math,english lit english lang and re) and the thing is I dont know if I should do further maths because I feel like it might be too much with my choices( I want to go into medicine) and I dont know if I should drop physics if its not necessary for medicine
    You only need a minimum of 9 GCSEs for probably every medical school.

You shouldn’t be dropping physics. There’s some physics in medicine. There is no need to do further maths.

Overall, your GCSE choices don’t matter much. Your current selection is fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.G.)
    You only need a minimum of 9 GCSEs for probably every medical school.

You shouldn’t be dropping physics. There’s some physics in medicine. There is no need to do further maths.

Overall, your GCSE choices don’t matter much. Your current selection is fine.
    Because I might want to do maths a level so I dont know if I should do further maths because apparently it helps

ReputationRep:
    Because I might want to do maths a level so I dont know if I should do further maths because apparently it helps
    It’s really not that necessary. I only did Maths GCSE and I was fine with Maths and Further Maths at A level.

If you want to do it then you can, but it’s not mandatory to do it to succeed in A level maths.

ReputationRep:
    If you do FM, you will probably have to do four A levels. I know that Bart's doesn't accept a combination of both Maths and Further Maths, so candidates offering the two have to offer two more A levels.

If you're happy with doing four A levels, then go ahead, but it's certainly easier to do three and easier to get higher grades as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR1999)
    If you do FM, you will probably have to do four A levels. I know that Bart's doesn't accept a combination of both Maths and Further Maths, so candidates offering the two have to offer two more A levels.

If you're happy with doing four A levels, then go ahead, but it's certainly easier to do three and easier to get higher grades as well.
    Because I am thinking of doing Chemistry Biology and Maths and something else but I feel like if I do further maths then it will be too much work even though I am in the top class and do very well and do extension work now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.G.)
    It’s really not that necessary. I only did Maths GCSE and I was fine with Maths and Further Maths at A level.

If you want to do it then you can, but it’s not mandatory to do it to succeed in A level maths.
    Did you do just maths for gcse and did you find a level maths hard

ReputationRep:
    Did you do just maths for gcse and did you find a level maths hard
    I only did Maths for GCSE and did Maths and FM at A level. Maths was easy. FM was slightly harder but I definitely don’t think I missed out anything by not doing Further Maths GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.G.)
    I only did Maths for GCSE and did Maths and FM at A level. Maths was easy. FM was slightly harder but I definitely don’t think I missed out anything by not doing Further Maths GCSE.
    Apparently if you do further maths then it will help you with your physics

ReputationRep:
    Apparently if you do further maths then it will help you with your physics
    I can’t say as I’ve never done GCSE further maths.

At the end of the day, if I were in your position, I’d taking the following subjects
    English Literature
    English Language
    Mathematics
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Religious Education
    French
    History

You can’t go wrong with that combination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.G.)
    I can’t say as I’ve never done GCSE further maths.

At the end of the day, if I were in your position, I’d taking the following subjects
    English Literature
    English Language
    Mathematics
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Religious Education
    French
    History

You can’t go wrong with that combination.
    I feel like since medicine is so competitive that I am pressurised to do it as it might make me stand out but I dont know ive just been really stressed lately ( I might take further maths and drop it if it is too much)

ReputationRep:
    I feel like since medicine is so competitive that I am pressurised to do it as it might make me stand out but I dont know ive just been really stressed lately ( I might take further maths and drop it if it is too much)
    Having an extra Further Maths GCSE is going to make next to nothing impact on your application.

Seriously, you are getting way too worried about this. It’s not going to make or break your application.

ReputationRep:
    your choices are fine.
    i’m in year 10 wanting to do medicine and ive got basically the same, just a few more gcses but it’s quality not quantity :yep:
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.G.)
    Having an extra Further Maths GCSE is going to make next to nothing impact on your application.

Seriously, you are getting way too worried about this. It’s not going to make or break your application.
    Yes people have said that I worry too much about it but I feel like I might regret it if I dont take it so I might do what I said above but im still not sure

(Original post by S.G.)

ReputationRep:
    Around £45000

ReputationRep:
    Yes people have said that I worry too much about it but I feel like I might regret it if I dont take it so I might do what I said above but im still not sure
    Well I can’t help you much more. I’m in medical school now and from my experiences you aren’t going to need it.

The rest is up to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.G.)
    Well I can’t help you much more. I’m in medical school now and from my experiences you aren’t going to need it.

The rest is up to you.
    What did you do for a levels and gcse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clouddbubbles)
    your choices are fine.
    i’m in year 10 wanting to do medicine and ive got basically the same, just a few more gcses but it’s quality not quantity :yep:
    Our school only allows us 5 choices and 4 compulsory and further maths to those who are capable

ReputationRep:
    What did you do for a levels and gcse
    For GCSE: English language, English literature, maths, biology, chemistry, physics, ICT, RE, Geography, History, Spanish

For A level: Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aceplayyt)
    Around £45000
    Pardon??

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.