Self-teaching Computer Science GCSE

Watch
TheGame314
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello from a Year Nine-

Unfortunately, I can't fit Computer Science into my school timetable, but I would still really like to study it for GCSE. My school covers the OCR specification.

I would like advice about how to go about studying it, though. For example, are there any textbooks or websites you would recommend? Any general advice from previous Computer Science students, self-taught or otherwise? How can I make sure I'm covering the entire syllabus?

Thanks
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you're not having lessons then how can you prove you've done the mandatory 20 hours supervised NEA?

You'd be better off just learning Python or some other language and not bothering with the GCSE.
username3755000
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think there might be a CGP OCR Revision Guide, try using that.
getrektm8
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
-The PG Online textbook is pretty decent and makes it easier to understand some concepts
-Craigndave on YouTube have videos going through the whole OCR syllabus
-Don't use the CGP revision guide by itself- it doesn't have all the information you need to get a top grade

If you enjoy the subject, you could probably study it by yourself. I think you'd have to make arrangements with your school to do the 20 hour NEA under supervision though.
Sheperd23
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
TBH, you should ask your teachers - i’m sure its possible!
Baza2002
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheGame314)
Hello from a Year Nine-

Unfortunately, I can't fit Computer Science into my school timetable, but I would still really like to study it for GCSE. My school covers the OCR specification.

I would like advice about how to go about studying it, though. For example, are there any textbooks or websites you would recommend? Any general advice from previous Computer Science students, self-taught or otherwise? How can I make sure I'm covering the entire syllabus?

Thanks
I'm a grade 7/8 student in every subject and do computer science (with a teacher) and get grade 5/6
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (55)
60.44%
No (36)
39.56%

Watched Threads