Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm doing two source analyses for different subjects, one is for the Roman Republic and one for the Roman Empire; I've chosen to do an inscription of slaves as managers for the Republic module, and one of Pliny the Younger's letters regarding his slaves falling to illness for the Empire one. Would this be allowed, since they are both on slavery? Nothing I say in the Republic assignment pops up in the Empire one, so I don't think it would be self-plagiarism, and they are both on different aspects of slavery during different periods.

This is what it says in my booklet regarding self-plagiarism, so I'm just a bit worried.

"You should avoid close overlap, or verbatim repetition, of coursework submitted for other courses: doing so may constitute self-plagiarism."

I'd email my tutor but with the strike he won't really reply in time for me to do extra work if needed.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Given these are based on entirely different time periods, I'm fairly certain it would be acceptable. You could argue with this logic that as both are regarding the Romans at all there is overlap

If one was about Pliny's letters about slaves, and one on some other Pliny topic which may reference the same letters as the prior one, you would probably need to tread carefully. But it sounds as though there is very little possibility of your self-plagiarising here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Given these are based on entirely different time periods, I'm fairly certain it would be acceptable. You could argue with this logic that as both are regarding the Romans at all there is overlap

If one was about Pliny's letters about slaves, and one on some other Pliny topic which may reference the same letters as the prior one, you would probably need to tread carefully. But it sounds as though there is very little possibility of your self-plagiarising here.
    Thank you! I thought it would be fine, but I just wanted to make sure.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 23, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.