Coursework Overlap?

Watch
username2244141
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I'm doing two source analyses for different subjects, one is for the Roman Republic and one for the Roman Empire; I've chosen to do an inscription of slaves as managers for the Republic module, and one of Pliny the Younger's letters regarding his slaves falling to illness for the Empire one. Would this be allowed, since they are both on slavery? Nothing I say in the Republic assignment pops up in the Empire one, so I don't think it would be self-plagiarism, and they are both on different aspects of slavery during different periods.

This is what it says in my booklet regarding self-plagiarism, so I'm just a bit worried.

"You should avoid close overlap, or verbatim repetition, of coursework submitted for other courses: doing so may constitute self-plagiarism."

I'd email my tutor but with the strike he won't really reply in time for me to do extra work if needed.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Given these are based on entirely different time periods, I'm fairly certain it would be acceptable. You could argue with this logic that as both are regarding the Romans at all there is overlap

If one was about Pliny's letters about slaves, and one on some other Pliny topic which may reference the same letters as the prior one, you would probably need to tread carefully. But it sounds as though there is very little possibility of your self-plagiarising here.
username2244141
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Given these are based on entirely different time periods, I'm fairly certain it would be acceptable. You could argue with this logic that as both are regarding the Romans at all there is overlap

If one was about Pliny's letters about slaves, and one on some other Pliny topic which may reference the same letters as the prior one, you would probably need to tread carefully. But it sounds as though there is very little possibility of your self-plagiarising here.
Thank you! I thought it would be fine, but I just wanted to make sure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.63%
Note taking apps (7)
1.85%
Flashcards (86)
22.75%
Revision guides (19)
5.03%
Past papers (173)
45.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.97%

Watched Threads