Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Friend refuses to pay watch

Announcements

So basically me and a group of friends were planning to go the Dublin for a weekend out. But I had to cancel because I need to save money, so I sold my ticket to another friend of mine, changed the name on the ticket and stuff. But then he had to cancel, so he gave it to another friend of ours who on the day before they were meant to leave, had to cancel.
    However I've just found out that there is a cancellation fee, £65.
    To give more context, the account is in my name, my details as I had created to buy the ticket in the first place, but the passenger name is my friends name.
    Now I dont think its fair that Im the one that has to pay the fee as technically its not my problem, its not my ticket anymore. But my friend who last owned the ticket is refusing to pay. What should I do? Because right now Im not in the financial state to be able to just spend £65 for something that in my mind not my problem.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, don't pay for them and hope they'll pay you back. They absolutely won't if they don't see it as their problem now. It's 100% the last owner's business to deal with.

ReputationRep:
    I can see why it would be your responsibility... you agreed to the terms, incl. cancelaltion fee... and then didn't go on the holiday. He wouldn't have had any way to find out there would be a cancellation fee or anything when he took the tickets so it's not that fair to expect him to pay. Perhaps you could ask him to go halves? I don't think there's any way to force him to pay up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    I can see why it would be your responsibility... you agreed to the terms, incl. cancelaltion fee... and then didn't go on the holiday. He wouldn't have had any way to find out there would be a cancellation fee or anything when he took the tickets so it's not that fair to expect him to pay. Perhaps you could ask him to go halves? I don't think there's any way to force him to pay up.
    Unfortunately I agree, you (should have) read and accepted the terms and conditions in case of cancellation fees. Did you say to your friend when you gave the ticket 'cancellation fee is £65?' No of course not because you didn't expect them to cancel but unfortunately that is now your problem as you are one who agreed to it. However any good friend would probably at least split the cost although they possibly would not have took the ticket if they knew the cancellation costs involved (whereas you did take that risk)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.