Turn on thread page Beta

Hi all,

I have been really applying a lot to roles in Finance this year, before I graduate. I have sent out about 80+ applications in roles such as Investment Banking, Global Markets and Asset Management. Which would have been more, had I been earlier with some of the deadlines. Unfortunately though I keep getting rejected. I have no idea why. In terms of my CV, because I am a young person who is still at university I barely have any experience. A week internship at a Hedge Fund, which was competitive to get, but useless for experience. And an IB training thing, free for students who were deemed "good enough" to join. Otherwise that's it, I have been immersed in studying for the rest of my time. I have good grades to show for this, I am a straight A*/A student and on for a First Class in a hard degree at a top university. (Btw I am not trying to boast, just trying to find reasons to eliminate and help with the diagnosis). I engaged in extra-curricular stuff at school but not really at university, as I didn't have the time. Every time I apply to somewhere only requiring a CV and Cover letter, I usually get rejected very early. The places requiring aptitude tests I do better at, but then get rejected soon after. At interviews I haven't really struggled, apart from one time when a rude interviewer made me a bit nervous. But often find myself getting rejected straight after this stage. I really don't understand why all HR departments just look down at me. Someone I know just said that it's because they hate my name, which seems daft. My friends have got through OK and I have been left behind. Some of them converted Spring Weeks, which I didn't apply for as I had exams. I did apply for Summer Internships and ended up empty handed.

What things do you guys recommend to improve one's chances? Help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

(Sorry for the lack of paragraphs lol)

ReputationRep:
    try a carers job.
    you can literally just walk into it and as long as you can pass basic maths and english then your basically guaranteed a job.
    you also need an enhanced DBS

(Original post by shawtyb)
    try a carers job.
    you can literally just walk into it and as long as you can pass basic maths and english then your basically guaranteed a job.
    you also need an enhanced DBS
    I can find a short-term/part-time fix like that fine, it's a long-term/full-time job that I actually want as mentioned above I can't find

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I can find a short-term/part-time fix like that fine, it's a long-term/full-time job that I actually want as mentioned above I can't find
    yes and a caring job can be a long term role

ReputationRep:
    a job in care should not be seen as an easy step in job. it is hard work, underappreciated and shouldn't be taken lightly.
    this is coming from the point of a carer (I am full time carer to my child) my dad was a care assistant and now is retired due to ill health, as a direct result of his job. my aunt and uncle work in a care home and are mentally and physically shattered, but they love their work.

I don't suggest care work unless you have a passion for it. in most places you do all the things that the nurses don't have time for.
    some places may be different this is just from my experience.

I know some of the graduate schemes have closed now, but you could wait until they open next year and look at that, one that is being talked about is the nhs business one.
    see if you can do voluntary work somewhere alongside a part time job somewhere.
    there may be agency work, I know there is one that has office staff near I used to live. that can be a good way of getting experience.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Someone I know just said that it's because they hate my name, which seems daft.

Is your name an ethnic name by any chance?

I've seen a BBC documentary showing British asians being discriminated against to a significant extent when searching for jobs

and another BBC news article showing that when near identical CV's were sent out with asian names vs white names, asian people got called to interview 50% less....

(Original post by shawtyb)
    yes and a caring job can be a long term role
    Why would someone interested in a finance career go for care work?

(Original post by ANM775)

I've seen a BBC documentary showing British asians being discriminated against to a significant extent when searching for jobs

and another BBC news article showing that when near identical CV's were sent out with asian names vs white names, asian people got called to interview 50% less....
    What I found in my search of jobs that it is more difficult to secure roles as an ethnic minority especially if you have a name like "Mohamed" for example this has been going on for years black british and asians graduates tend to have it harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Cat)
    Why would someone interested in a finance career go for care work?
    well fine, he can remain unemployed and not get anywhere then. doesnt affect me, i have a job

Yes my name is very foreign and in fact Asian

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, the good majority of degrees have outcomes like this waiting for their graduates. The only exception are the medical ones that insure that you will get a job when you graduate. Every other course you have to excel and get good grades to have an OK chance of getting a decent job. I gave this advice to a friend who was struggling finding a job in engineering. Try applying abroad if you don't mind going abroad...try it for a year. If it doesn't work out you can always try that graduate option next year.

There are lots of countries you can go that are fighting over graduates from this part of the world. The Emirates, Dubai...you can try the US..

ReputationRep:
    Yes my name is very foreign and in fact Asian

I'm sorry to say it, but unfortunately your friend may have a point then.......

finding a job will likely take you longer than if you had a white english name and background..
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    I have been really applying a lot to roles in Finance this year, before I graduate. I have sent out about 80+ applications in roles such as Investment Banking, Global Markets and Asset Management.

In terms of my CV, because I am a young person who is still at university I barely have any experience. A week internship at a Hedge Fund, which was competitive to get, but useless for experience. And an IB training thing, free for students who were deemed "good enough" to join.

Otherwise that's it, I have been immersed in studying for the rest of my time. I have good grades to show for this, I am a straight A*/A student and on for a First Class in a hard degree at a top university.

I engaged in extra-curricular stuff at school but not really at university, as I didn't have the time.

Every time I apply to somewhere only requiring a CV and Cover letter, I usually get rejected very early.

Some of them converted Spring Weeks, which I didn't apply for as I had exams. I did apply for Summer Internships and ended up empty handed.
    Probably too many applications and not enough tailoring. It's quality over quantity every time for job applications.

You need to change your perspective over experience and make something of every little thing you've done that can be thought of as relevant. You must start viewing your life in terms of it's relevance to your career aspirations, so you notice the relevant details. Your competitors are as young as you.

Lesson in balance, employers are looking for more than perfect grades. For graduate applications school life is too long ago. You are expected to be able to balance a reasonable number of interests alongside getting a degree, and it's a negative if you can't.

Your CV and covering letter aren't being effective if you aren't getting to interview about 1 in 5-10 applications.

Not applying for Spring weeks because you had exams explains a lot - other people managed both. In competitive industries, that's just not an acceptable reason, because your competitors are managing both.

Have you tried unpaid internships and entry level jobs? Where you based London?

I'm sorry to say it, but unfortunately your friend may have a point then.......

finding a job will likely take you longer than if you had a white english name and background..
    Don't be sorry! Thanks for your support in at least telling me this, to be honest it's the truth

(Original post by CookieButter)
    Sadly, the good majority of degrees have outcomes like this waiting for their graduates. The only exception are the medical ones that insure that you will get a job when you graduate. Every other course you have to excel and get good grades to have an OK chance of getting a decent job. I gave this advice to a friend who was struggling finding a job in engineering. Try applying abroad if you don't mind going abroad...try it for a year. If it doesn't work out you can always try that graduate option next year.

There are lots of countries you can go that are fighting over graduates from this part of the world. The Emirates, Dubai...you can try the US..
    Yeah I wanted to apply to the US and UAE too. This is what I have done for some of them, however a few require permanent visas or at the very least student visas. Which I don't have for their country.

Thanks for your advice

Have you tried unpaid internships and entry level jobs? Where you based London?
    Thanks for your reply
    I haven't come across unpaid internships of relevance, but would consider (although I read somewhere unpaid internships are illegal). Entry level is basically what I have been looking at this whole time and yes I am in London.

ReputationRep:
    Are you trying more general finance grad schemes to get your first step on the ladder?

(Original post by Spongebob'sPants)
    Are you trying more general finance grad schemes to get your first step on the ladder?
    I was considering that outside of my applications for IB, AM, and Global Markets, however didn't make any yet (probably use them as insurance if I don't get any success, especially after I graduate). This might sound ridiculous but I wouldn't want to get stuck in those jobs and be labelled as an "accountant" for example when I eventually look to go into the aforementioned sectors. The other thing is I have done plenty of research into the roles that I have applied to, in the case of an interview or an AC. I haven't read much about the specifics of what these other guys do, other than the basics. So when I finish my studies I will look into it more

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have been really applying a lot to roles in Finance this year, before I graduate. I have sent out about 80+ applications in roles such as Investment Banking, Global Markets and Asset Management. Which would have been more, had I been earlier with some of the deadlines. Unfortunately though I keep getting rejected. I have no idea why. In terms of my CV, because I am a young person who is still at university I barely have any experience. A week internship at a Hedge Fund, which was competitive to get, but useless for experience. And an IB training thing, free for students who were deemed "good enough" to join. Otherwise that's it, I have been immersed in studying for the rest of my time. I have good grades to show for this, I am a straight A*/A student and on for a First Class in a hard degree at a top university. (Btw I am not trying to boast, just trying to find reasons to eliminate and help with the diagnosis). I engaged in extra-curricular stuff at school but not really at university, as I didn't have the time. Every time I apply to somewhere only requiring a CV and Cover letter, I usually get rejected very early. The places requiring aptitude tests I do better at, but then get rejected soon after. At interviews I haven't really struggled, apart from one time when a rude interviewer made me a bit nervous. But often find myself getting rejected straight after this stage. I really don't understand why all HR departments just look down at me. Someone I know just said that it's because they hate my name, which seems daft. My friends have got through OK and I have been left behind. Some of them converted Spring Weeks, which I didn't apply for as I had exams. I did apply for Summer Internships and ended up empty handed.

What things do you guys recommend to improve one's chances? Help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

(Sorry for the lack of paragraphs lol)
    May be the lack of paragraphs is a clue? I'm wondering what your CV and over letter looks like? I'm happy to give you feedback if you send them to me.

Typically, a CV gets looked at for only 20 seconds, so you need to make your stand out.

The other thing to do is ask HR departments for any feedback, every time you land an interview and ask the question at interviews, "do you have any reservations about me?"

\if you want me to take a look ( I was an HR Director), direct message me and I'll share my email.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2018
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.