Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have studied Musical Theatre for the past three years and I'm in the final stages of recalls for two drama schools. However, I keep being told by my teachers that as an actor I should be prepared to have no money and be poor.

I was thinking about this the other day, and I no longer feel I could live with trying to find an acting job and facing constant rejection. The pay isn't even worth it.

I have an interest in computing, would it be wiser to brush up on my math and pursue a degree in computer science or software engineering instead of doing three years in Musical Theatre?

My parents will be disappointed in me because they have supported me all the way, but I feel I have been naive and I'm coming to my senses about how hard this career is going to be.

Would you pursue the Acting or pursue a solid career path and pursue the acting on the side? (Was thinking maybe I could do freelance programming whilst auditioning as it's high in demand).

Thanks <3
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You could take a conversion masters in computer science.

Or you could study a degree in computer science at the Open uni and pay monthly or take a private student loan.

For maths, at my Open uni I studied differentiation, integration, matrices, co ordinate geometry, complex numbers et c.

You could also take a Udacity one year nano degree in web development, android development, iOS development, business analysis which you pay £150 a month and can graduate in 4 months with a solid porfolio of projects.

Also check out treehouse's techdegree.

Good luck

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.