Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Sorry if this is the wrong forum!
    I'm trying to plot the coordinates down for a site that I surveyed for an ecology module.

I used this as a guide to the area:
    https://ibb.co/eW2gLx
    (Let me know if that link doesn't work)

So I followed that trail with a GPS device, recorded the coordinates and then tried to map it out myself on paper.
    The map that I've drawn seems to be a flipped version of the one above.
    e.g on my map, number 3 is where number 8 is on that map and vice versa, and 11/12/13 on my map are where 14 and 15 are on that map.

This sounds really silly but I don't really understand why my map came out flipped and I'm not really sure how to fix it? Rotating it etc obviously doesn't fix it. But if I flip my map somehow won't that change the coordinates?

I would really appreciate some help as this is pretty new to me! Thank you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Petulia)
    Hi,
    Sorry if this is the wrong forum!
    I'm trying to plot the coordinates down for a site that I surveyed for an ecology module.

I used this as a guide to the area:
    https://ibb.co/eW2gLx
    (Let me know if that link doesn't work)

So I followed that trail with a GPS device, recorded the coordinates and then tried to map it out myself on paper.
    The map that I've drawn seems to be a flipped version of the one above.
    e.g on my map, number 3 is where number 8 is on that map and vice versa, and 11/12/13 on my map are where 14 and 15 are on that map.

This sounds really silly but I don't really understand why my map came out flipped and I'm not really sure how to fix it? Rotating it etc obviously doesn't fix it. But if I flip my map somehow won't that change the coordinates?

I would really appreciate some help as this is pretty new to me! Thank you
    This is quite strange, I'm not really sure how this has happened. So are you saying that your readings for the longitude of the sites in the east that you've read off your GPS unit are more negative/westerly than the longitude of the sites in the west? Could you try entering the coordinates you've measured into Google Earth and seeing if that takes you to the right place? Because this will tell us whether there's something wrong with the GPS or whether something has gone with your transcribing it onto paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    This is quite strange, I'm not really sure how this has happened. So are you saying that your readings for the longitude of the sites in the east that you've read off your GPS unit are more negative/westerly than the longitude of the sites in the west? Could you try entering the coordinates you've measured into Google Earth and seeing if that takes you to the right place? Because this will tell us whether there's something wrong with the GPS or whether something has gone with your transcribing it onto paper.
    https://ibb.co/gchLDH
    Here's a photo of mine (sorry it's just a very rough first draft). I haven't drawn a compass, but I've rotated the page so that North is upwards (same as the original map).

I really don't know much about how to input this into Google earth etc as drawing the map is just a small part of this assignment, but for example the coordinates for areas 14/15 are TQ 20067, BNG 78607, and the coordinates for areas 10/11 are TQ 20039, BNG 78603. They're opposite each other in the triangle shape but they should be on opposite sides.

Is it possible that I've plotted the TQ and BNG coordinates on the wrong axes? Currently the TQ values are on the x axis and BNG are on the y axis, and I've just rotated the page so that north is upwards, so now one axis (BNG) is on the right hand side instead of the left. I just assumed the TQ value went on the x axis because it comes up first on the GPS device, so I thought that was the longitude value.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Petulia)
    https://ibb.co/gchLDH
    Here's a photo of mine (sorry it's just a very rough first draft). I haven't drawn a compass, but I've rotated the page so that North is upwards (same as the original map).

I really don't know much about how to input this into Google earth etc as drawing the map is just a small part of this assignment, but for example the coordinates for areas 14/15 are TQ 20067, BNG 78607, and the coordinates for areas 10/11 are TQ 20039, BNG 78603. They're opposite each other in the triangle shape but they should be on opposite sides.

Is it possible that I've plotted the TQ and BNG coordinates on the wrong axes? Currently the TQ values are on the x axis and BNG are on the y axis, and I've just rotated the page so that north is upwards, so now one axis (BNG) is on the right hand side instead of the left. I just assumed the TQ value went on the x axis because it comes up first on the GPS device, so I thought that was the longitude value.
    Ah, I wasn't aware you were using a non-WGS coordinate system. From the original diagram you uploaded, 11/12 is roughly WSW of 14/15 so it makes sense for TQ to be x and BNG to be y and the coordinates you've given look reasonable. So why have you drawn 14/15 as being west of 10/11 when 14/15 have a higher TQ coordinate than 10/11? I don't know the details of the coordinate system you're using but generally by default E is the direction of x increasing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 23, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.