Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Going to university with anxiety watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have really bad anxiety And I am currently in Year 12 looking at universities but it’s just hit me that its going to come quick. I am obviously looking at universities with additional support in place but in general the whole thing is going to be extremely daunting and scary for me at first so I was wondering if anyone has any advice or stories of how they found going to university with anxiety.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by angelbee33)
    I have really bad anxiety And I am currently in Year 12 looking at universities but it’s just hit me that its going to come quick. I am obviously looking at universities with additional support in place but in general the whole thing is going to be extremely daunting and scary for me at first so I was wondering if anyone has any advice or stories of how they found going to university with anxiety.
    Get the grades you need first.

Start getting some therapy CBT to cope with anxiety.
    Care less. realise you worry disproportionately. You cna learn ways to deal with this.
    Go to open days.

I would take a gap year just to chill, earn money and work on your self esteem / self confidence and have a plan for when you go to uni. You need to be ready for it and be able to deal with a few bumps. If you are going to scare yourself, then that wont help. You also need some strategies not just to run away or hide. It is possible to overcome and beat it when you are confident enough to push through, but honestly a gap might give you the time to think and be prepared rather than just rushing into it as you feel you have to.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    I would second 999tigger's excellent reply.

Is there anything in particular you're anxious about that perhaps I could help alleviate concerns about?

I think the most important thing you want to look at is resilience...making sure to establish support systems and little tricks, when you do have a setback, to make sure you get yourself back out there and really get the most from Uni.

ReputationRep:
    Both myself and my sister had anxiety (mine was social, hers was more general) and so we were both really worried about starting uni. It turned out to be the best thing we've both done, my sister especially was always quite reserved but uni has turned her into a confident, bubbly person. I'd say contact the wellbeing services once it's been confirmed where you'll be attending and make an appointment to see someone when you start, they can help you manage your symptoms and direct you to services which will be of help. Before then you could always see your GP and consider CBT.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.