Turn on thread page Beta

Social anxiety or shyness? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so recently I've been wondering if I might have social anxiety or if I'm just really shy - and sometimes I struggle to see the difference between these two! This isn't something I'm overly concerned about, as I've ALWAYS been shy (I'm now seventeen), but I want to know if it's something I should see someone about. I'll list off the things I've noticed and hopefully someone can offer an opinion?

- I get physical symptoms like increased heart + breathing rate, sweating, and stomach ache when faced with certain social situations (especially parties, gatherings, and class discussion), though I don't think I've ever had an actual panic attack
    - When people who I don't know very well talk to me I more or less spend the whole time wishing the conversation would end (though I'm able to keep it up)
    - I absolutely hate walking (or doing anything!) in front of large groups of people and feel very self-conscious when doing so
    - I don't like situations where I have to maintain a conversation for a long time (e.g. at lunch time, before school, at a restaurant, etc.), although I can actually manage doing this quite well
    - when people invite me out, I often (unless they're a close friend) think of an excuse not to go as I'm worried I'll be awkward and ruin the outing

Having said this, my self-esteem is pretty good, I'm able to push myself outside my comfort zone (I've done great work experience, gone on school trips abroad, volunteered at a library, etc. - all things that I've really enjoyed!), and despite hating the things I listed, I can actually DO all of them to a sound standard if I push myself a little. So like I said, I'm not sure if this is just the shy personality I've always had or something which I should seek help with (especially since I'll be going to uni this September) - any responses would be incredibly helpful!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    lol anyone wanna help..?

ReputationRep:
    I have a more extreme case than yours.. I don't know personally, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    I AM THE SAMEEEEE HELLOOO

Ok but I've been shy my whole life and as a result I am kinda bad at forming close friendships as I see the toxic nature and drama that goes on in this generation and sometimes wish I was already an adult and to just skip the years.
    I moved for sixth form from a close group of friends and as a result now have no one I can call myself close to. It was a complicated decision that'll take too long to explain but... I miss them so much

I don't know whether it's social anxiety or not because I too feel sick at the thought of interactions but can also get through it?

Doesn't help that I have a non existent social life :/

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I’m not an expert or anything, but here’s what I think. Everyone has a certain degree of anxiety, meaning we all get nervous/anxious about different things, some of which may seem silly. I myself get stomach aches/ hot flushes etc when faced with certain situations, and I wouldn’t say I have anxiety- I’m just not good with people, and am not confident. Confidence is something that will grow in time when you’re put in different situations, and may not necessarily be anxiety if you’re lacking a little. You probably do have a certain level of social anxiety, but then again, who doesn’t?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

could be social anxiety but putting a label on it won't really change anything. this is just how you are. i think going to uni will probably help though and you will start to feel less self conscious about those things and be less introverted.

ReputationRep:
    I think you’re just a normal person

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    could be social anxiety but putting a label on it won't really change anything. this is just how you are. i think going to uni will probably help though and you will start to feel less self conscious about those things and be less introverted.
    I completely agree that giving myself a label isn't a good thing, and it's not what I'm going for at all - I'm just wondering if this is something which is going to interfere with my life, and if so, whether or not I should seek help

ReputationRep:
    male or female?

regardless, go to your gp and get a blood test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dominoes)
    I think you’re just a normal person
    Exactly!

@ayylmao: The doubts and fears you describe are - to some degree - very normal indeed and a part of puberty and becoming an adult. At least if you spend any time at all thinking about your body/image and what others are seeing in you. Knowing, fighting and "owning" those fears - but without hurting others - is what maturity is all about and according to your own descriptions, i guess you are going to do fine. Everyone else is after all struggling too, we just assume they are always fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickyrossman)
    male or female?

regardless, go to your gp and get a blood test.
    male, just wondering what a blood test would show?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayylmao100)
    male, just wondering what a blood test would show?
    blood sugar levels, vitamin D, testosterone, and many other medical things. if any of those are out of balance you will feel unsocial and fatigued.

take my advice with a pinch of salt since i'm not a qualified physician. given that you're a dude, you want high testosterone. your doctor will likely tell you that you have average testosterone but bare in mind they've been decreasing the average range for the past 30 years. these days a 20 year old can have the same testosterone levels as an 80 year old man had in the 1950s.

my dutch friend had one of his testicles removed when he was young because he had a urine infection. he has TRT (hormone replacement) injections because of hypogonadism. sort of like why a diabetic has insulin injections because their body doesn't produce insulin anymore.

however, you won't need any of that. a good diet (no fast food and limit alcohol), athletic training every week (lifting, boxing, rugby anything u like), sleep (8-9 hrs/day), stress (buddhist meditation) will sort everything out. then bye bye it is to social anxiety and introversion.

there's a whole field of medicine that looks at the relationship between endocrinology and mental health; Psychoneuroendocrinology . its not very well researched yet but I imagine in the future mental health treatment will be taken from a more medical perspective.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.