Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I'm interested in a mainly computer science/physics career, but I also have a passion for languages, although I am not sure if I want to do a career based solely on them.
    I'm currently learning Japanese,but I'm fairly certain I won't reach fluency before my GCSEs (I'm in year 9 and I think it might take 3-4 years to reach some level of competence). If I am not able to do my GCSE in Japanese, what do I need to do next?
    My dad works in the language section, and he tells me that experience is more important than an actual grade, although surely employers will want to see some form of certificate?By the way, Japanese isn't taught formally, we learn Spanish and French, but I'm learning it anyway.
    Many thanks.
    • Community Assistant

    Community Assistant
    Is there really any need for certification? Unless you're working as a translator or studying a degree in that language, formally demonstrating proficiency isn't likely to be necessary at any point.

    You're also far too young for any of that to be relevant realistically, so...as you seem to be doing it purely for your own edification, just continue as you are.

University open days

  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Study tools


Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.


Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.


Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.


Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.