Turn on thread page Beta

Why do Americans poop on UK universities watch

ReputationRep:
    I recently went on College Confidential and checked on their threads regarding world university rankings.

We all know that Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL and LSE from the UK rank well on rankings, even on US news lol.

If Oxbridge was in the top 5, they'd complain

One said he'd rather go to Georgia Tech than any other UK university (excluding Oxbridge). What even is Georgia Tech.

If Imperial/UCL/LSE was in the top 30, they'd complain.

American Perception: "if they aint got as much cash, and they aint got as low acceptance rate, they aint good, even if we apply to like 30 colleges on average, have no min reqs - all y'all need is sat maths and english ta get in. we'll even quota the **** out of every school to stop dese foreigners and lower our acceptance rates.

TL;DR You're a piece of **** if you go to a UK University. SAT Math > STEP

Edit: Apparently MIT students go to Cambridge (and Imperial somehow, even though their is no exchange programme for maths) to take a break for their maths work, even though they're a year behind s: and chill for a year.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, Georgia tech is a great a school, and I'd personally also go for it instead of all the Uk unis. I guess for me it's just the different experiences they offer, Georgia tech is fantastic for STEM subjects and also offers a great social life, whereas Imperial for instance, although it has very good academics, the social life is terrible and a lot of undergrads are miserable there due the intense workload.(This is form sm1 who researched and applied to both UK and US universities)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radioactivedecay)
    Tbh, Georgia tech is a great a school, and I'd personally also go for it instead of all the Uk unis. I guess for me it's just the different experiences they offer, Georgia tech is fantastic for STEM subjects and also offers a great social life, whereas Imperial for instance, although it has very good academics, the social life is terrible and a lot of undergrads are miserable there due the intense workload.(This is form sm1 who researched and applied to both UK and US universities)
    Lol, my friend got into georgia tech with AAB and is majoring in engineering

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, I'm sure it is; its fine stating that you have a preference, but I don't understand why they'd go out their way to rubbish every other UK place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goingup45)
    lol
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well, GATech is actually one of the best US colleges outside the Ivy League, it's imitators (Stanford et al) and MIT/CalTech...

Beyond that though, as we all know my people are imbeciles who have no concept of the world outside of them (i.e. the US) and lack any kind of self-awareness. However, few UK students will know what SAT Math involves (very little) so it's not that surprising few US students will understand the scope of STEP, so some level of ignorance in this matter is to be expected.

Also the commentary on the university financial state and acceptance rates apply very much to the UK as well - this kind of academic elitism is slightly more veiled here, but certainly exists. Just look at everyone foaming at the mouth over Trinity College, Cambridge, despite the fact that the vast majority of the teaching will occur outside of college, and the little which is college based may well be in another college anyway. They'd get just as good an education at one of the much maligned mature colleges (as of course the fabled Tompkins Table and similar is about as useful as the US News rankings in providing any useful information)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    Fair enough, I'm sure it is; its fine stating that you have a preference, but I don't understand why they'd go out their way to rubbish every other UK place
    I think it's just a few insecure individuals who need to tell everyone that their university is better than their's. Other than that no one really cares what university you go to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goingup45)
    That's a great achievement! What type is he doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Well, GATech is actually one of the best US colleges outside the Ivy League, it's imitators (Stanford et al) and MIT/CalTech...

Beyond that though, as we all know my people are imbeciles who have no concept of the world outside of them (i.e. the US) and lack any kind of self-awareness. However, few UK students will know what SAT Math involves (very little) so it's not that surprising few US students will understand the scope of STEP, so some level of ignorance in this matter is to be expected.

Also the commentary on the university financial state and acceptance rates apply very much to the UK as well - this kind of academic elitism is slightly more veiled here, but certainly exists. Just look at everyone foaming at the mouth over Trinity College, Cambridge, despite the fact that the vast majority of the teaching will occur outside of college, and the little which is college based may well be in another college anyway. They'd get just as good an education at one of the much maligned mature colleges (as of course the fabled Tompkins Table and similar is about as useful as the US News rankings in providing any useful information)...
    Meh, I guess it can't be helped.

Isn't Trinity one of the biggest Cambridge colleges, in terms of students? Doesn't that help in getting accolades? Didn't think there'd be that much showboating over what college you're at in a uni :/

Also, while elitism obviously exists here, on a anecdotal basis on what I've seen, they seem far worse.

You get mauled if you ask what your chances are at good uni x and have a slightly below average profile. I mean we on here encourage people to apply to the best unis if they have the predicted grades a lot of the time, but they just bash at anything.

ReputationRep:
    That's a great achievement! What type is he doing?
    I think that poster was mocking Georgia Tech? since you usually need higher to get into the creme de la creme here.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Isn't Trinity one of the biggest Cambridge colleges, in terms of students? Doesn't that help in getting accolades? Didn't think there'd be that much showboating over what college you're at in a uni :/
    They have a third of the entire university's Nobel Prizes, many of their Fields medals, and almost half of its prime ministers, and their endowment is still the highest even when scaled to the number of students, so it is still pretty disproportional. I don't think there's any serious showboating though (well, amongst people worth caring about anyway).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    They have a third of the entire university's Nobel Prizes, all of their Fields medals, and almost half of its prime ministers, and their endowment is still the highest even when scaled to the number of students, so it is still pretty disproportional. I don't think there's any serious showboating though (well, amongst people worth caring about anyway).
    Is there any empirical evidence to show why it's so disproportional? Especially the Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals? It seems strange.

ReputationRep:
    I think that poster was mocking Georgia Tech? since you usually need higher to get into the creme de la creme here.
    That's the thing tho. Here, unis value depth way more, so if you have good predicted grades and a really good ps, you can essentially get into any uni. But in the US they value breadth more and grades are only a part of the process. You also need to have excellent test scores, great essays, unique extra-curriculars, good letters of recommendations and as long as your grades are mainly As, you'll be considered, but it's everything else that'll get you enrolled, not grades on it's own.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Meh, I guess it can't be helped.

Also, while elitism obviously exists here, on a anecdotal basis on what I've seen, they seem far worse.

You get mauled if you ask what your chances are at good uni x and have a slightly below average profile. I mean we on here encourage people to apply to the best unis if they have the predicted grades a lot of the time, but they just bash at anything.
    The size of the college does follow from the amount of money they can spend on developing more accommodation and/or using their extensive landholdings to develop on for this purpose...I don't get the impression anyone really cares once they're at the university, but you certainly see a lot of trauma on TSR about it

Following from that, I've seen enough posts of (often GCSE or A-level) students asserting there is no point in applying to Oxbridge because the OP didn't get 10 A*s, or only took 8 GCSEs, or whatever. Some of us do encourage people to apply widely, but there are plenty of posts criticizing those who do try and positively support people in this manner.

Add into that the obsession with the Russell Group, a grouping which has almost no bearing on undergraduate studies, which is mainly made up of the oldest and correspondingly wealthiest universities in the country...it does exist. It's a bit different, but it's definitely there

It's just the usual thing - high school/secondary school kids are, on the whole, somewhat ignorant about the overall context in which all this information exists, and they latch on to tidbits and defend it to the death ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Is there any empirical evidence to show why it's so disproportional? Especially the Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals? It seems strange.
    Something to ask people on the Cambridge thread maybe, but I'd imagine it's something to do with the fact that success attracts success. They're a major landowner, have huge resources and a long established reputation so despite balancing measures, the outcome probably isn't hugely surprising. I don't think it's quite to the same extent at Oxford but you do still get a distinct group of colleges doing disproportionately well, and there generally are historical reasons for that.

ReputationRep:
    That's the thing tho. Here, unis value depth way more, so if you have good predicted grades and a really good ps, you can essentially get into any uni. But in the US they value breadth more and grades are only a part of the process. You also need to have excellent test scores, great essays, unique extra-curriculars, good letters of recommendations and as long as your grades are mainly As, you'll be considered, but it's everything else that'll get you enrolled, not grades on it's own.
    I think ECs are important for one's character, but the elite unis here just care about academics. I actually did quite a lot - was only mildly annoyed when I found out they didn't count for much.

I did an SAT paper as practise and got 1580/1600 I bet I could ace it with some more study and I'm probably average for my uni; I don't think test scores are going to be a burden for students at top UK unis, especially when it's the SAT - every entrance exam we have here is harder. Getting a 2500 puts you in the top 1% - I barely made it past top 50% in the Oxford TSA. It implies that most Oxford interviewees would get my score or max.

So really, we prioritise entrance test + grades + interviews. PS has to just not be bad, same with references. US just allows more room for ECs/essay to counter grades.

Its outrageous to think that because we study in the UK that we wouldn't make good American unis.

Did you not struggle with the costs of American colleges?

ReputationRep:
    They can poop on our universities cause of the latitude

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    The size of the college does follow from the amount of money they can spend on developing more accommodation and/or using their extensive landholdings to develop on for this purpose...I don't get the impression anyone really cares once they're at the university, but you certainly see a lot of trauma on TSR about it
    It's funny because our teachers were telling us at one point to apply to colleges at the bottom of Norrington/Tompkins since their academic expectations would be lower :s
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's funny because our teachers were telling us at one point to apply to colleges at the bottom of Norrington/Tompkins since their academic expectations would be lower :s
    Yes...you and some thousands of other students no doubt, all oversubscribing these "worse" colleges to some extent, allowing them to cherry pick the best of the application cohort anyway

At the end of the day, if you're "Cambridge material" (or Oxford) and apply to a very "high ranking" and oversubscribed college, you will still realistically get an offer, just from another college. This is (largely) the reason the pool system exists.

Thus the advice oft touted by them applies - choose the college you actually want to go to, or choose an open application. If you don't get an offer from one, you (probably) weren't going to get one from any other...I'm sure there is a more statistically robust way to express this, but the point remains

ReputationRep:
    I did an SAT paper as practise and got 1580/1600
    No you didn't.

Did you not struggle with the costs of American colleges?
    My college is cheaper than UK ones as I paid in-state tuition. Go to a private one and yes expect to pay a lot more but I don't think many British people realize the costs of non-private universities. There's also scholarships to consider.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.