Turn on thread page Beta

Why do Americans poop on UK universities watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    No you didn't.

My college is cheaper than UK ones as I paid in-state tuition. Go to a private one and yes expect to pay a lot more but I don't think many British people realize the costs of non-private universities. There's also scholarships to consider.
    Is SAT Maths taken by 18 year olds??? To be honest isn't SAT Maths a joke compared to STEP 2/3? SAT is more equal to GCSE 9-1 Maths (grade 9).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekidwhogames)
    Is SAT Maths taken by 18 year olds??? To be honest isn't SAT Maths a joke compared to STEP 2/3? SAT is more equal to GCSE 9-1 Maths (grade 9).
    SAT's are designed to be taken by everyone so unis could see if you have a minimum foundation in maths and english. People compare it to
    A-levels when in reality its a joke compared to GCSE. Im a GCSE student and I tried the non calc section on one of the sample papers, and I got 18/20 which is alright. The English is just filling in gaps. I might take them privately next year and aim for full marks and have American Unis as a plan B for if I don't get into an investment banking target uni (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial or Warwick)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by tedgfbtebfetedfb)
    SAT's are designed to be taken by everyone so unis could see if you have a minimum foundation in maths and english. People compare it to
    A-levels when in reality its a joke compared to GCSE. Im a GCSE student and I tried the non calc section on one of the sample papers, and I got 18/20 which is alright. The English is just filling in gaps. I might take them privately next year and aim for full marks and have American Unis as a plan B for if I don't get into an investment banking target uni (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial or Warwick)
    So why are American pupils going around saying "SAT score 800"? The SAT is actually easier to achieve a higher score than a 9 in Maths. SAT < GCSE < AS < A2 < STEP 1 < STEP 2 < STEP 3.

ReputationRep:
    So why are American pupils going around saying "SAT score 800"? The SAT is actually easier to achieve a higher score than a 9 in Maths. SAT < GCSE < AS < A2 < STEP 1 < STEP 2 < STEP 3.
    I think they are just ignorant and dont know jack about our system. I have a friend that studies at Columbia Uni in new york (basically LSE equivalent in NY.) He had to do two semesters on Calculus in the beginning of the course. He thrived and scored almost 100 percent in both semesters as he took further maths up to A2. I think you are about right in your order
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think they are just ignorant and dont know jack about our system. I have a friend that studies at Columbia Uni in new york (basically LSE equivalent in NY.) He had to do two semesters on Calculus in the beginning of the course. He thrived and scored almost 100 percent in both semesters as he took further maths up to A2. I think you are about right in your order
    Yeah I think you're right. UK Maths is far above American but of course there's exceptions (IMO performance, for one). But that's just the special people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    No you didn't.

My college is cheaper than UK ones as I paid in-state tuition. Go to a private one and yes expect to pay a lot more but I don't think many British people realize the costs of non-private universities. There's also scholarships to consider.
    Why do you find that hard to believe? I mean I did A Level Maths so the maths section was a breeze and the reading aspect is just skim, find the word - boom 1 mark. If you're getting good grades at A Level, the SAT is a cake walk. You get more than a minute per question for questions which aren't even difficult most of the time - AND BREAKS. Try doing the TSA and see the comparison.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...ItYoTpGT6W4TDb

We do, nearly all of our universities are public; they don't consider it for America because most of the prestigious colleges are private - and in their eyes, they're not gonna make the trek to another continent if they're not gonna be rewarded employment wise in the US (or to a worse degree, in the UK).

ReputationRep:
    dude, its harder to get a 9 in maths than an 800 Math SAT score for sure.

Well done for being 800/1600 without even taking the paper yet

ReputationRep:
    Sabretooth

16 year old students who don't even practise the SAT are getting high scores smh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    Sabretooth

16 year old students who don't even practise the SAT are getting high scores smh
    Well to be fair I just did one section because I was bored. Besides the stuff there is like grade 6-9 in GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    I think ECs are important for one's character, but the elite unis here just care about academics. I actually did quite a lot - was only mildly annoyed when I found out they didn't count for much.

I did an SAT paper as practise and got 1580/1600 I bet I could ace it with some more study and I'm probably average for my uni; I don't think test scores are going to be a burden for students at top UK unis, especially when it's the SAT - every entrance exam we have here is harder. Getting a 2500 puts you in the top 1% - I barely made it past top 50% in the Oxford TSA. It implies that most Oxford interviewees would get my score or max.

So really, we prioritise entrance test + grades + interviews. PS has to just not be bad, same with references. US just allows more room for ECs/essay to counter grades.

Its outrageous to think that because we study in the UK that we wouldn't make good American unis.

Did you not struggle with the costs of American colleges?
    I did but theu offered great financial aid and fee waivers if the cost was an obstacle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radioactivedecay)
    I did but theu offered great financial aid and fee waivers if the cost was an obstacle.
    Is that extra competition on top of just getting a place?

ReputationRep:
    Is that extra competition on top of just getting a place?
    It depends on the uni. The unis I applied to were need blind, meaning your need for aid wasnt considered in the admissions decision and if you do get accepted they 100% of demonstrated need. This isnt the case for all unis tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radioactivedecay)
    It depends on the uni. The unis I applied to were need blind, meaning your need for aid wasnt considered in the admissions decision and if you do get accepted they 100% of demonstrated need. This isnt the case for all unis tho.
    I think its like that for most competitive unis i.e. Columbia harvard MIT yale stanford

Honestly, this is just you lot trying to convince yourselves that UK unis are on the same plane as US ones. I'm proud of our unis, but look at the top 30! Outside of Oxbridge and to a lesser extent LSE()/Imperial, you can hardly compare them. US undergraduate degrees are much broader in scope than UK ones - you study a liberal arts curriculum and specialize later, more like in Scotland. Also, the top U.S. schools consider a much wider set of skills in their admissions process - extracurriculars, multiple essays that require a deeper level of thought than a PS, many letters of recommendation, etc... It's rough, trust me, I went through it this fall. Nobody is alleging the SAT is analogous to A levels either! While it is titled as an "admissions test" it is simply used to establish a baseline of a student's understanding of maths and English. I believe the advanced placement tests are much more akin to A levels. Just wanted to put that out there ..
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    all of their Fields medals,
    Simon Donaldson went to Pembroke not Trinity. And Klaus Roth, Peterhouse

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Donaldson

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaus_Roth

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1. Most people take a break when going on an exchange. Your exchange is likely to just be pass/fail, and you're supposed to enjoy life and experience the culture. It's absolutely normal, and that doesn't say anything about the difficulty of studying at MIT or Cambridge.

2. The vast majority of public universities in the United States have very high acceptance rates compared to UK universities. And like you said, the acceptance can't be compared anyway, due to the drastically different systems.

3. Many Americans are very arrogant and ignorant, and they literally think they are the best country in the world. I mean, many would argue that the UK is just as dangerous with the truck attacks, when being criticized for their gun problem. Last year, UK had 13 deaths for ramming+stabbing in total. The US successfully passed that number in 3 minutes counting only one school shooting, with some extra lives left. They can't process facts that don't show their country as the best in the world.

4. It's certainly true that US universities generally have a lot more money. The US is a much bigger economy is there's a lot more industry income for them to get, the US is a much more populated country with a lot more millionaires and billionaires, so there are a lot more potential big donors for them. The US government funds research a lot more than the UK one does, even when it's a US private university versus a UK public university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Honestly, this is just you lot trying to convince yourselves that UK unis are on the same plane as US ones. I'm proud of our unis, but look at the top 30! Outside of Oxbridge and to a lesser extent LSE()/Imperial, you can hardly compare them. US undergraduate degrees are much broader in scope than UK ones - you study a liberal arts curriculum and specialize later, more like in Scotland. Also, the top U.S. schools consider a much wider set of skills in their admissions process - extracurriculars, multiple essays that require a deeper level of thought than a PS, many letters of recommendation, etc... It's rough, trust me, I went through it this fall. Nobody is alleging the SAT is analogous to A levels either! While it is titled as an "admissions test" it is simply used to establish a baseline of a student's understanding of maths and English. I believe the advanced placement tests are much more akin to A levels. Just wanted to put that out there ..
    Tbh, I agree with that sentiment based on the first few lines, but the issue was that even those 4 were getting mugged off

Being broader in scope and its value is so subjective - no serious future academic attends a liberal arts college I've been told - it gets touted as the 'PPE' of the US in that it's great for politicians.

I'd rather have an in depth degree, completed in 3 years rather than a broad based one, completed in 4. I mean, if I want to acquire a broader base, I can just access lectures from own college for another subject for free, instead of having to pay extra for another year.

I think you'd find it more rough doing a subject aptitude test in all honesty - the ceiling for differentiating yourself is much higher on those than a college essay. You spend a month crafting it and it'll often turn out great. You can practise a month for an entrance exam and still mess up.

APs are a mixed bag. According to UCAS, a 5 in an AP translates to a ~ C at A Level. IIRC, someone applying to Yale on this website said their A* grade at A Level came out as an 7.0 or 8.0 on the GPA scale - take that as you will. They don't really have the size of content of A Levels. Calc BC for example is just a part of A Level Maths, along with AP Stats and AP Mechanics. It can be just as hard as A Level calculus, but it will lack the breadth of other topics.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Doonesbury)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Apologise for my shoddy Wikipediaing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How many do they have in total? I thought the highest for any uni was 2?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    How many do they have in total? I thought the highest for any uni was 2?
    Cambridge has 10 and is 6th. Harvard 18 is top.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.