Turn on thread page Beta

Why do Americans poop on UK universities watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Cambridge has 10 and is 6th. Harvard 18 is top.
    Probably different assumptions involved on calculating between different websites.

Donaldson is tied to Oxford, Imperial and Cambridge haha
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    Probably different assumptions involved on calculating between different websites.

Donaldson is tied to Oxford, Imperial and Cambridge haha
    Yes a lot have more than one affiliation.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Yes a lot have more than one affiliation.
    This type of thing always results in Harvard coming out on top.

If you look at Nobel Prizes, officially Cambridge has the most, but Harvard unofficially has over 100 somehow.

ReputationRep:
    Edit: Apparently MIT students go to Cambridge (and Imperial somehow, even though their is no exchange programme for maths) to take a break for their maths work, even though they're a year behind s: and chill for a year.
    The MIT <-> Cambridge maths exchange has been discontinued. I've talked to a few faculty members about this and the overarching, but unofficial, reason was a combination of distinterest, Cambridge people going to MIT, not learning enough and coming back unprepared for Part II and MIT people coming here and struggling (in general, there are of course exceptional people who come here and find it too easy/just right, but the majority struggle to cope).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    The MIT <-> Cambridge maths exchange has been discontinued. I've talked to a few faculty members about this and the overarching, but unofficial, reason was a combination of distinterest, Cambridge people going to MIT, not learning enough and coming back unprepared for Part II and MIT people coming here and struggling (in general, there are of course exceptional people who come here and find it too easy/just right, but the majority struggle to cope).
    Since they're roughly a year behind, didn't the Cambridge exchange students just repeat a year of maths?

ReputationRep:
    Since they're roughly a year behind, didn't the Cambridge exchange students just repeat a year of maths?
    I’m guessing they did and MIT students probably then found it harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Water)
    I’m guessing they did and MIT students probably then found it harder.
    Jesus christ they must have had hell when they came back

It's sad if any of them dropped out because of it.

ReputationRep:
    Well, the way the system works at MIT isn't really the same as it is in Cambridge. You go there and pick your classes (which can be anything from introductory literature to graduate maths) with some constraints, so unless a Cambridge student purposefully picks classes that overlap with what they already did in Cambridge, there won't be repetition.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus christ they must have had hell when they came back

It's sad if any of them dropped out because of it.
    Lol that would be funny.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Just wanted to put that out there ..
    ...anonymously.

ReputationRep:
    ...anonymously.
    Not to you Doonesbury; isn't that a moderator perk?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Not to you Doonesbury; isn't that a moderator perk?
    :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radioactivedecay)
    Tbh, Georgia tech is a great a school, and I'd personally also go for it instead of all the Uk unis. I guess for me it's just the different experiences they offer, Georgia tech is fantastic for STEM subjects and also offers a great social life, whereas Imperial for instance, although it has very good academics, the social life is terrible and a lot of undergrads are miserable there due the intense workload.(This is form sm1 who researched and applied to both UK and US universities)
    Georgia tech doesnt even hold water to my uni Nottingham.

tbh unless its the top schools overall the sector is definitely weaker, as US general education is an absolute farce.

The SAT is pissssss easy.

When i took economics in High school, im from the us, literally the book talked just about interest rates and stock market and maybe a bit of demand.

Then i got here to the uk to do my foundation and i had no idea wtf was going on lol.

so pre university education is not comparable at all.

UK unis in the top 20 can compete with US instuitions most teach similar concepts. The accredidation bodies are similar and set the criteria, at least for business. Im sure its comparable in other areas.

All those community colleges where people get there associates degrees just to go to the "state school" which there are multiple campuses of multiple quality lol.

Also americans dont even really know whats going on in there state, much less england. They dont understand much, they are not as globalised as europeans, and the average american frankly is quite dumb lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Realitysreflexx)
    1)Georgia tech doesnt even hold water to my uni Nottingham.

tbh unless its the top schools overall the sector is definitely weaker, as US general education is an absolute farce.

The SAT is pissssss easy.

When i took economics in High school, im from the us, literally the book talked just about interest rates and stock market and maybe a bit of demand.

Then i got here to the uk to do my foundation and i had no idea wtf was going on lol.

so pre university education is not comparable at all.

UK unis in the top 20 can compete with US instuitions most teach similar concepts. The accredidation bodies are similar and set the criteria, at least for business. Im sure its comparable in other areas.

All those community colleges where people get there associates degrees just to go to the "state school" which there are multiple campuses of multiple quality lol.

2)Also americans dont even really know whats going on in there state, much less england. They dont understand much, they are not as globalised as europeans, and the average american frankly is quite dumb lol.

1)Here's the thing though, in terms of employability, connections, opportunities,research and teaching quality Georgia tech trumps Notiing.Also, in world rankings,Georgia is 33rd and Nottingham is 147th, so that clearly says something.

2) That's a bit of an arrogant and assumptive statement to make. American universities by far outperform UK ones in terms of their research making a difference and improving current lives. In fact, out of the 20 top research instituitions, 14 are American, only 3 are from the UK. Also Americans regularly outperform us in international olympiads and receiving awards like the field's medal and the Nobel prize, so your statment is clearly incorrect.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Because Americans live in their bubble and anything outside the US is irrelevant to them

ReputationRep:
    1)Here's the thing though, in terms of employability, connections, opportunities,research and teaching quality Georgia tech trumps Notiing.Also, in world rankings,Georgia is 33rd and Nottingham is 147th, so that clearly says something.

2) That's a bit of an arrogant and assumptive statement to make. American universities by far outperform UK ones in terms of their research making a difference and improving current lives. In fact, out of the 20 top research instituitions, 14 are American, only 3 are from the UK. Also Americans regularly outperform us in international olympiads and receiving awards like the field's medal and the Nobel prize, so your statment is clearly incorrect.
    QS ranks georgia tech at 70, Nottingham 84th its similar.

US instuitions are good at the top end im not denying that but look at the sector realistically and on the whole its not much better.

UK research helps the world to... its maybe just not as publicly announced.. and american general education is not great.

If you took 64 million americans....

could they produce the same quality of higher education top to bottom hell no,

lets take four states Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas and Florida, they alone are bigger the england but cant offer nearly the same education lol.

Trust me, i know how utterly slow the average american is i lived there for 20 yrs.

ReputationRep:

Tbf, people from UK and America competing in Olympiads are usually all Asian, so both of ya'll stop stealing from Asia.

And Cambridge officially has more Nobel Prizes than any other university, anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    Because Americans live in their bubble and anything outside the US is irrelevant to them
    Not Britain First's Islamic videos on twitter

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.