Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'll be starting the IB six months from now and I am planning on applying to Cambridge. I was wandering if Maths HL was enough for a successful Engineering application, or if I should also take A Level Further Maths (self study) or even STEP. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamGrey101)
    Hi,
    I'll be starting the IB six months from now and I am planning on applying to Cambridge. I was wandering if Maths HL was enough for a successful Engineering application, or if I should also take A Level Further Maths (self study) or even STEP. What do you think?
    I think you should read the Cambridge website; all this information is very clearly stated in the maths entry requirements section. If you're doing IB maths HL you really don't need to take A-level further maths and you'll look like an idiot if you do. You'll also have to take physics HL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    I think you should read the Cambridge website; all this information is very clearly stated in the maths entry requirements section. If you're doing IB maths HL you really don't need to take A-level further maths and you'll look like an idiot if you do. You'll also have to take physics HL.
    What about STEP? I'm just looking for ways to stand out among the applicant pool.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    bump
    Seriously Maths HL and Physics HL is fine. Maths HL is just a bit less in content than FM, but its the same difficulty - no point doing FM

STEP is overkill too. Most important thing is to ace the ENGAA
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    What about STEP? I'm just looking for ways to stand out among the applicant pool.
    Only required if you apply to Peterhouse or Christ's, and you would do it as part of your Offer requirements (if you get one) not before.

There's no point sitting STEP a year early "to stand out". For one thing it's risky, because you probably won't have enough maths knowledge to do well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, I'll just work like hell on the IB then.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.