Turn on thread page Beta

Is murder always wrong? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Mr Know-Nothing, these are your receipts:

"Every firstborn son in Egypt will die, from the firstborn son of Pharaoh, who sits on the throne, to the firstborn son of the female slave, who is at her hand mill, and all the firstborn of the cattle as well." (Exodus 11:5)
    http://biblehub.com/exodus/11-5.htm

"Seven days from now I will send rain that will last for forty days and nights, and I will destroy all other living creatures I have made." (Gensis 7)
    https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...+7&version=CEV
    this is what people like you do: you arrogantly quote convenient texts out of context, do you even know the story of the Exodus. The plague God sent was a warning. Not even every first born died, that was only if they didn't leave to go to Promised Land away from slavery. The ones who went (hence EXODUS you genius) were saved in more ways than one lmao. Nice try. That's not murder. Murder is senseless violence resulting in death. God warned this land over and over to leave to find freedom. That was his final ultimatum. More people lived than died hence an Israeli Jesus Christ's bloodline being from the blood of Jacob, who had Egyptian children one descendant being Joseph, Jesus's dad :congrats:

And as for he Genesis, that's the FIRST BOOK lol meaning humanity flourished and is still flourishing after that. So...

nice one. Sike.

Call me ignorant again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bang Outta Order)
    this is what people like you do: you arrogantly quote convenient texts out of context, do you even know the story of the Exodus. The plague God sent was a warning. Not even every first born died, that was only if they didn't leave to go to Promised Land away from slavery. The ones who went (hence EXODUS you genius) were saved in more ways than one lmao. Nice try. That's not murder. Murder is senseless violence resulting in death. God warned this land over and over to leave to find freedom. That was his final ultimatum. More people lived than died hence an Israeli Jesus Christ's bloodline being from the blood of Jacob, who had Egyptian children one descendant being Joseph, Jesus's dad :congrats:

And as for he Genesis, that's the FIRST BOOK lol meaning humanity flourished and is still flourishing after that. So...

nice one. Sike.

Call me ignorant again.
    Oh, so after all, murder isn't always wrong then, as long as more people can be saved and humanity can still flourished after that?

And BTW, yes, it's senseless killing. If Mr Ignorant would actually read the whole story, you'd know that.

The pharaoh was already thinking of releasing the Jews, but God "hardened" his heart. And only after God has "hardened" his heart, was the mass murders committed.

So, do you know the story after all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Oh, so after all, murder isn't always wrong then, as long as more people can be saved and humanity can still flourished after that?

And BTW, yes, it's senseless killing. If Mr Ignorant would actually read the whole story, you'd know that.

The pharaoh was already thinking of releasing the Jews, but God "hardened" his heart. And only after God has "hardened" his heart, was the mass murders committed.

So, do you know the story after all?

Oh please I'm not arguing religion with someone like you who quick google searches and copies and pastes :rolleyes:

what time is it in Hong Kong eh..? Go to bed.

ReputationRep:
    It's really an impossible topic to answer. I'm against the death penalty, and firmly believe that if you murder someone (irrespective of what they've done) you should probably go sit in prison for a few decades. However, if somebody say, killed my sister or mother etc. etc. I'm unsure of how much restraint I'd show if I got my hands on them, and I'd absolutely understand if somebody else did the same.

In a weird limbo between understanding the desire for vigilante justice, but also believing it's not the right route and if you choose to follow it, you should be punished as anyone else would be for the same crime. And no, if somebody rapes you, as much as I absolutely understand there'd be a desire for revenge, you are not even slightly entitled to take their life and escape punishment for it, people believing that vigilante justice should go undeterred are odd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bang Outta Order)
    Oh please I'm not arguing religion with someone like you who quick google searches and copies and pastes :rolleyes:

what time is it in Hong Kong eh..? Go to bed.
    I have 2 degrees in religion and am a son of a Sunday School teacher so yeah I'm clearly too overqualified to argue with you, someone who can't even google or read.

Or indeed actually offer a rebuttal. By giving up, I have to assume you realized I was right and you were wrong, and there's nothing you can do to win the debate except someone making it personal.

I haven't lived in Hong Kong for years. It'd be quite odd for me to go to bed in the afternoon.

ReputationRep:
    It’s the ‘lesser of two evils’

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlayWithMarkers)
    It's really an impossible topic to answer. I'm against the death penalty, and firmly believe that if you murder someone (irrespective of what they've done) you should probably go sit in prison for a few decades. However, if somebody say, killed my sister or mother etc. etc. I'm unsure of how much restraint I'd show if I got my hands on them, and I'd absolutely understand if somebody else did the same.

In a weird limbo between understanding the desire for vigilante justice, but also believing it's not the right route and if you choose to follow it, you should be punished as anyone else would be for the same crime. And no, if somebody rapes you, as much as I absolutely understand there'd be a desire for revenge, you are not even slightly entitled to take their life and escape punishment for it, people believing that vigilante justice should go undeterred are odd.
    People that think its wrong to kill a rapist and the person that does it should be sentenced to prison are odd af.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FakeNewsEditor)
    Yes it'd be wrong to kill a rapist because as horrendous as rape is

A) The rapist didn't murder you, you're still alive and they're not

B) Just because a person is evil, doesn't mean that you should also become evil. If someone stole my stuff, it'd not be moral for me to go steal even more of their stuff to get back at them. That'd make me a bad person as well. Don't imitate bad people.

C) Even if you reject point A) and B) and you think rape ought to be punishable by death, ordinary citizens can't decide those things by themselves individually, otherwise we'd be living in a jungle where people get to decide what punishment fits any crime committed against them.

Punishment, in civilised societies, is carried out by the courts and the police. Not by individual citizens, no matter how much I or anyone else might sympathise with your case.
    Complete and utter nonsense.

So if you had the option of killing a terrorist who if you don't will end up killing a lot of people is it still wrong? Or is not killing the terrorist and allow him to continue with his agenda the correct thing to do?

What (A dilemma actually happened in America btw) a cop was about to get shot dead and you are the only one that could stop it by killing the gunman. Is allowing the gunman to kill an innocent officer of the law the right thing to do, even when you stop it?

I don't want to sound like an a*se but there are serious flaws with your statements.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's always wrong unless it's a very last resort when defending yourself. Killing someone for revenge isn't as easy as it sounds. It won't give you any pleasure all it will do is ruin your life you'll die in jail and you will forever live with the knowledge that you killed another human being no matter how bad that person was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown-99)
    Yes it's always wrong unless it's a very last resort when defending yourself. Killing someone for revenge isn't as easy as it sounds. It won't give you any pleasure all it will do is ruin your life you'll die in jail and you will forever live with the knowledge that you killed another human being no matter how bad that person was.
    That wouldn't bother me. I could easily kill some people. I seriously don't see what the big deal is. Not all humans deserve to live.

ReputationRep:
    while i get your argument my thought would be what about the rapists family. they did not commit this crime yet they are faced with another hurendous crime on their loved one which they did nothing to deserve
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gyubhjik)
    People that think its wrong to kill a rapist and the person that does it should be sentenced to prison are odd af.
    Believing we should all go around committing vigilante justice because we're personally wronged is, frankly, an incredibly immature stance. The entire reason we have a justice system is to determine guilt and then punish people - you alone do not have the ability to do so, nor should you. As soon as you start allowing such things you're going to end up with countless cases of people attacking and possibly killing the wrong people because, well, most people do not have access to forensic evidence testing, their history, their medical records (what if the rapist is a schizophrenic who attacked whilst suffering one themself? should they be killed for it or instead sent to an institute?)

You also don't have the right to say who "deserves" to live, because your morality does not necessarily match up with everybody elses. Again, this is why we have the law, so we have a society wide code of ethics essentially.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people say they would kill a rapist but I guarantee 95% of people would not be able to do it if they were given the gun. The act of killing is something a lot of us balk at because we don't want to have that responsibility pinned with us.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.