Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    https://madasmaths.com/archive/iygb_...apers/c4_d.pdf
    On question 2 why do we use binomial expansion?
    On question 1b why are the limits flipped when you take out a quarter?
    the solutions are below
    https://madasmaths.com/archive/iygb_..._solutions.pdf

ReputationRep:
    The limits are flipped because they get rid of the minus. When evaluating an integral you can flip the limits by taking the negative of the integral, essentially multiplying the whole thing by -1. They use binomial cuz thats essentially what the question is asking you to do. "Suffienctly small" means it has a limit, just like in a binomial expansion, eg:modx<2/3. so thats a hint to use binomial esoansion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radioactivedecay)
    The limits are flipped because they get rid of the minus. When evaluating an integral you can flip the limits by taking the negative of the integral, essentially multiplying the whole thing by -1. They use binomial cuz thats essentially what the question is asking you to do. "Suffienctly small" means it has a limit, just like in a binomial expansion, eg:modx<2/3. so thats a hint to use binomial esoansion.
    i see so binomial expansion is not only to expand without having to do a tonne of work its also to find the smallest possible value or a value to a limit! i get it thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BubbleBabby)
    i see so binomial expansion is not only to expand without having to do a tonne of work its also to find the smallest possible value or a value to a limit! i get it thanks.
    It’s to find a suitable estimate when x is small.

I get the feeling you don’t really understand C4 binomial expansion properly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeadHoncho)
    It’s to find a suitable estimate when x is small.

I get the feeling you don’t really understand C4 binomial expansion properly
    i don't think i do i thought binomial expansion was to avoid pascals triangle but when i have to do it for things when the expansion does not the binomial expansion i don't understand that. Why is it when you expand that fraction manually and via binomial expansion you get 2 different answers surly you should get the same answer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BubbleBabby)
    i don't think i do i thought binomial expansion was to avoid pascals triangle but when i have to do it for things when the expansion does not the binomial expansion i don't understand that. Why is it when you expand that fraction manually and via binomial expansion you get 2 different answers surly you should get the same answer?
    Pascal’s triangle coefficients work only for positive integers as the series is finite (there is a fixed number of terms)

But when you use a fraction or negative number as your index (basically all of C4 expansions) you only expand it manually. It also is an infinite sequence because, if you think about it, when you subtract 1 from a fraction or negative, you never get to 0, therefore the numerator of the coefficient never gets to 0 for the series to stop. You’ll therefore stop the series at a reasonable place (usually at x^3 or x^4). You might want to look at exam solutions, a short vid that explains everything better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeadHoncho)
    Pascal’s triangle coefficients work only for positive integers as the series is finite (there is a fixed number of terms)

But when you use a fraction or negative number as your index (basically all of C4 expansions) you only expand it manually. It also is an infinite sequence because, if you think about it, when you subtract 1 from a fraction or negative, you never get to 0, therefore the numerator of the coefficient never gets to 0 for the series to stop. You’ll therefore stop the series at a reasonable place (usually at x^3 or x^4). You might want to look at exam solutions, a short vid that explains everything better
    Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 24, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.