Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I’m 2 years into my course, I was living with my husband and kids but this year we are living apart, whilst both of the kids stay with me. I’m not sure what to do about student finance and what will change? I’m not sure what proof I can use to show he’s moved out, maybe the new council tax statement?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by StudentBg29tp)
    I’m 2 years into my course, I was living with my husband and kids but this year we are living apart, whilst both of the kids stay with me. I’m not sure what to do about student finance and what will change? I’m not sure what proof I can use to show he’s moved out, maybe the new council tax statement?

Hi StudentBg29tp,

A council Tax bill would be accepted if it shows 25% single person occupancy discount but not if it shows a student discount.

Here is alist of acceptable evidence of separation,

• Decree Nisi
    • Most recently dated Council tax bill showing 25% single person occupancy discount (SFE & SFW only)
    • Solicitors letter confirming separation
    • A Signed Affidavit* - a sworn declaration they make in writing describing facts that they wish to state as true. They typically make an Affidavit under oath and sign it and have it stamped by a Solicitor.
    • Statutory declaration* - normally drafted by a Solicitor who is usually a Notary Public or can be drafted by a Legal Executive authorised to administer Oaths. Alternatively, the declaration can be made before a Magistrate (also known as a Justice of the Peace) or some Magistrates Clerks at a Magistrates Court.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    how much would it cost to get the options you've given from a solicitor? we're separating rather than divorcing as we can't afford that yet.

(Original post by Rona SFE)
    Hi StudentBg29tp,

A council Tax bill would be accepted if it shows 25% single person occupancy discount but not if it shows a student discount.

Here is alist of acceptable evidence of separation,

• Decree Nisi
    • Most recently dated Council tax bill showing 25% single person occupancy discount (SFE & SFW only)
    • Solicitors letter confirming separation
    • A Signed Affidavit* - a sworn declaration they make in writing describing facts that they wish to state as true. They typically make an Affidavit under oath and sign it and have it stamped by a Solicitor.
    • Statutory declaration* - normally drafted by a Solicitor who is usually a Notary Public or can be drafted by a Legal Executive authorised to administer Oaths. Alternatively, the declaration can be made before a Magistrate (also known as a Justice of the Peace) or some Magistrates Clerks at a Magistrates Court.

Thanks Rona
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by StudentBg29tp)
    how much would it cost to get the options you've given from a solicitor? we're separating rather than divorcing as we can't afford that yet.
    Hi StudentBg29tp,

We cannot confirm the cost of the lawyer or solicitor's letter, you would need to speak to them direct to find out the cost.

Thanks

Catherine

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.