Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.

I have just recently submitted an assignment for my maths module which included me having to create a matlab code to solve an equation on my university course However on this particular report, the originality report is available to the students and i had no concerns when submitting this assignment in turnitin as everything was properly cited and not plagiarized.

However after submitting when i checked the originality report, i realised that a Section of my code was highlighted when using a method to solve the equation and linked to a website of a forum from 4 years ago. There are differences in the code however the general look and format/structure of it does look the same and the big coloured highlight on the text really makes the similarities stand out. I have 100% not copied this and i didn't even come across this post when i was doing the assignment, nevermind copying it.

It has got me really worried as i don't want the maker to get the wrong idea after seeing the highlighted text. After my initial sort of panic and actually started to think about it, i thought maybe a reason why this is, is because some people may have the same code style/structure and because solving the equation is objective there maybe similar answers as to how to solve it because there's only so many ways a line of code can be written. However i could be completely wrong.

I was just wondering, if anyone has had any experience from this or not. Is this a regular occurrence and does this tend to happen often? I am contemplating speaking to the unit leader about my concerns but i don't know if this would be a good idea or not.

If anyone could over some advice to try and calm my nerves, it would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xyzabc12341000)
    Hi there.

I have just recently submitted an assignment for my maths module which included me having to create a matlab code to solve an equation on my university course However on this particular report, the originality report is available to the students and i had no concerns when submitting this assignment in turnitin as everything was properly cited and not plagiarized.

However after submitting when i checked the originality report, i realised that a Section of my code was highlighted when using a method to solve the equation and linked to a website of a forum from 4 years ago. There are differences in the code however the general look and format/structure of it does look the same and the big coloured highlight on the text really makes the similarities stand out. I have 100% not copied this and i didn't even come across this post when i was doing the assignment, nevermind copying it.

It has got me really worried as i don't want the maker to get the wrong idea after seeing the highlighted text. After my initial sort of panic and actually started to think about it, i thought maybe a reason why this is, is because some people may have the same code style/structure and because solving the equation is objective there maybe similar answers as to how to solve it because there's only so many ways a line of code can be written. However i could be completely wrong.

I was just wondering, if anyone has had any experience from this or not. Is this a regular occurrence and does this tend to happen often? I am contemplating speaking to the unit leader about my concerns but i don't know if this would be a good idea or not.

If anyone could over some advice to try and calm my nerves, it would be much appreciated
    Making the code different for solving a specific problem is really difficult to do more than a couple ways. That's why Turnitin highlights it, so a person can go through and check themselves. So honestly I wouldn't worry

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anything about turnitin, but I'd think the best way to cover yourself in future is to make sure you add a comprehensive set of comments to your code - explaining what that code is for, and most importantly, why you've decided to write the code in a particular way. It's inevitable that out of possibly many thousands of people solving the same problem as you, that you won't be the only person who arrives at that same solution with a similar structure and similar variable names. On the other hand, it's much less likely that they will choose your exact same words to include in the comments.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 24, 2018

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.