Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A Level options for Law at University. watch

Announcements
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by MiriamButcher)
    They offer French, but I haven’t done it before so that’s not very viable. I guess I could do Welsh 2nd Language since my mother speaks Welsh, but I’m not too keen on that idea.
    *Any* of your 3 subject lists are fine. Indeed it would be better to focus on three subjects, not spreading yourself across four.

A*A*A > A*ABB
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    They offer French, but I haven’t done it before so that’s not very viable. I guess I could do Welsh 2nd Language since my mother speaks Welsh, but I’m not too keen on that idea.
    It would be better to do something that you enjoy and feel you are going to do well in.
    What subjects are you thinking of doing at the moment, now that you cant do german.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    *Any* of your 3 subject lists are fine. Indeed it would be better to focus on three subjects, not spreading yourself across four.

A*A*A > A*ABB
    I agree, though I don’t think that 4 AS is too much (since I’m only in Year 11 and they don’t even offer German AS).

ReputationRep:

A*A*A > A*ABB
    It really is an interesting question. It tends to be that the people who get into the very best law courses have more than 3 A-Levels. But is that the reason for their success, or is the reason for their success (i.e. prodigious intellect) why they choose to do more than 3 A-Levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    It would be better to do something that you enjoy and feel you are going to do well in.
    What subjects are you thinking of doing at the moment, now that you cant do german.
    I’m definitely doing Maths and History, and I’m considering RS, English Lit and Chemistry.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I’m definitely doing Maths and History, and I’m considering RS, English Lit and Chemistry.
    Id do english lit for your 3rd option.
    That way you have 2 essay subjects (which are useful when going onto to law) and maths, which is always a useful subject to pick anyway.
    They are all respected subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Id do english lit for your 3rd option.
    That way you have 2 essay subjects (which are useful when going onto to law) and maths, which is always a useful subject to pick anyway.
    They are all respected subjects.
    I need a fourth option and we’ll because in Wales we do four AS subjects.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I need a fourth option and we’ll because in Wales we do four AS subjects.
    Id do something like rs or sociology as your 4th.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I agree, though I don’t think that 4 AS is too much (since I’m only in Year 11 and they don’t even offer German AS).
    4 ASs are fine. Or you could do an EPQ, they are pretty good preparation for university writing.

ReputationRep:
    4 ASs are fine. Or you could do an EPQ, they are pretty good preparation for university writing.
    I’ll have to see if my school allow us to do EPQs. I’m sure I could do one on top of 4 AS. I’ve done a similar thing at GCSE level with the Welsh Baccalaureate.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    It really is an interesting question. It tends to be that the people who get into the very best law courses have more than 3 A-Levels. But is that the reason for their success, or is the reason for their success (i.e. prodigious intellect) why they choose to do more than 3 A-Levels?
    I don't think it's that common for humanities students, even at "top" universities, to have 4 A-levels unless they are doing Further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's that common for humanities students, even at "top" universities, to have 4 A-levels unless they are doing Further Maths.
    Average number of subjects taken for a Cambridge Law offer holder is 3.7.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    And what proportion have Maths & FM?

ReputationRep:
    Is that full A Levels (AS + A2)?

ReputationRep:
    It's 3.5 for LSE, 3.4 for UCL, 3.7 for Cambridge, and around 3.2-3.6 for Oxford and KCL (depending on the year, there's a lot of fluctuation). Anywhere from 20% to 70% of students studying Law at a top university will have a fourth A-level.

I think that the more nuanced position would be that the number of A-levels taken by applicants is only slightly lower than the number of A-levels taken by offerholders, meaning that there isn't as much of a weight placed on them as one would think.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    I think that the more nuanced position would be that the number of A-levels taken by applicants is only slightly lower than the number of A-levels taken by offerholders, meaning that there isn't as much of a weight placed on them as one would think.
    Yup.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yes. BUT that doesn't mean you need or are advantaged by having 4 A-levels...

ReputationRep:
    Yes. The data Notoriety and I are referring to was calculated when applicants were still doing modular A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    It's 3.5 for LSE, 3.4 for UCL, 3.7 for Cambridge, and around 3.2-3.6 for Oxford and KCL (depending on the year, there's a lot of fluctuation). Anywhere from 20% to 70% of students studying Law at a top university will have a fourth A-level.

Yep, that's the truly significant point: 3.4 average applicant and 3.7 average offer holder. Was posting as I was leaving.

The issue is that it doesn't say what percentage take 4 A-Levels and 5. A few 5 or 6ers would greatly skew the average. Nevertheless, there is a bias towards taking more A-Levels.

And what proportion have Maths & FM?
    Not sure. From Which Uni, 64% take history and 61% take maths and 48% take Eng lit. Tells us very little other than that FM is less than 48% of those enrolling; might be FOI requests which explained or specific HESA data. Can't find any quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if a good number of non-FM students take 4 A-Levels, going off anecdotal stuff.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Not sure. From Which Uni, 64% take history and 61% take maths and 48% take Eng lit. Tells us very little other than that FM is less than 48% of those enrolling; might be FOI requests which explained or specific HESA data. Can't find any quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if a good number of non-FM students take 4 A-Levels, going off anecdotal stuff.
    And with linear A-levels now even fewer schools (especially state ones) will be allowing students to take 4 unless it includes Further Maths.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.