Turn on thread page Beta

my boyfriend didnt get me a present should i get him one? watch

ReputationRep:
    my boyfriends birthday is coming up, i have no idea what to get him. I dont know if to even get him one, as he didnt get me anything for mine (it sounds petty i know) but he said he had no ideas for my presents, and offered to take me for dinner, things always came up for the week or so after my birthday so it never happened.

Do I bother doing anything for him...

ReputationRep:
    NAHHHH SIS!!!! He’s using you or just doesn’t give one. What kind of person let alone boyfriend wouldn’t at least repay a birthday gift especially after spending £600?! I know the thought counts and all but he didn’t even give it thought so no it’s not worth it. Use that money and treat yourself to something you want for the gift you should have got for your birthday
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Dump him. He obviously doesn’t care about you like you care about him. You deserve so much better
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Definitely don't spend £600 again. Just get him something nice and thoughtful, it doesn't even have to be expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Definitely don't spend £600 again. Just get him something nice and thoughtful, it doesn't even have to be expensive.
    i wont spend that much again, i just thought it would have been nice for him to go away for a few days last year. I just dont have a clue what to get him... he keeps asking for a nintendo switch but i am not happy spending £300+ on one gift again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FOL)
    NAHHHH SIS!!!! He’s using you or just doesn’t give one. What kind of person let alone boyfriend wouldn’t at least repay a birthday gift especially after spending £600?! I know the thought counts and all but he didn’t even give it thought so no it’s not worth it. Use that money and treat yourself to something you want for the gift you should have got for your birthday
    (Original post by Meg1458)
    Dump him. He obviously doesn’t care about you like you care about him. You deserve so much better
    So is the sole purpose of giving presents to receive one in return?

It's pretty low to think that a relationship runs on if someone buys a material possession or not.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    OP I suggest you give him a Cleveland Steamer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    OP I suggest you give him a Cleveland Steamer
    sorry to ask but whats that?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by KylieemilyJ)
    sorry to ask but whats that?
    Google it
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    i wont spend that much again, i just thought it would have been nice for him to go away for a few days last year. I just dont have a clue what to get him... he keeps asking for a nintendo switch but i am not happy spending £300+ on one gift again
    A gift doesn't have to be spectacular or expensive, it's always good to give something thoughtful that's based on his interests. You should know what your boyfriend likes to do by now.

Findmeagift is a really good site to search for unique and personalised gifts for any occasion.
    https://www.findmeagift.co.uk/

The purpose of gift giving shouldn’t be to get one in return ... however guyyrrrrrllllllll ... he doesn’t have to get you a new Prada handbag but a homemade birthday card with a love letter and a few pictures isn’t too much to ask (and virtually free) !!! I always believe that it is the thought and time which matters most! Don’t get him something for the sake of it but if you can think of something sweet and thoughtful do it. No point in being petty about it.
    Examples:
    - Not on the High Street (love this website)
    - Bake him something (I one made my bf his fave flavour ice cream from scratch)
    - Look on Pinterest for some exciting ideas like a date Jar? Or collection of love letters for a super low cost gift.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    Google it
    lol are you serious?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The purpose of gift giving shouldn’t be to get one in return ... however guyyrrrrrllllllll ... he doesn’t have to get you a new Prada handbag but a homemade birthday card with a love letter and a few pictures isn’t too much to ask (and virtually free) !!! I always believe that it is the thought and time which matters most! Don’t get him something for the sake of it but if you can think of something sweet and thoughtful do it. No point in being petty about it.
    Examples:
    - Not on the High Street (love this website)
    - Bake him something (I one made my bf his fave flavour ice cream from scratch)
    - Look on Pinterest for some exciting ideas like a date Jar? Or collection of love letters for a super low cost gift.
    I never expect expensive stuff or even cute homemade stuff from him, he is not one for romance or crafty stuff but i wish he tried :/ I made a date jar for my ex a few years back and that was fun but my current would just make jokes and take the p***

I never expect expensive stuff or even cute homemade stuff from him, he is not one for romance or crafty stuff but i wish he tried :/ I made a date jar for my ex a few years back and that was fun but my current would just make jokes and take the p***
    Yeh it does totally depend on the sort of relationship you have and the sort of people you are... why not look at an experience that you can do together? Indoor sky diving? Paint balling? Mini golf? Theme Park?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    my boyfriends birthday is coming up, i have no idea what to get him. I dont know if to even get him one, as he didnt get me anything for mine (it sounds petty i know) but he said he had no ideas for my presents, and offered to take me for dinner, things always came up for the week or so after my birthday so it never happened.

Do I bother doing anything for him, last year I paid £600 for us to go away on holiday together because he had no money, but I don't think I could do this again...
    No. Its about equal consideration and living up to promises. I wouldnt make the effort or you could buy something much reduced i.e for £10.

It would be nice if he had show some thought and consideration. Something came up shows an excuse , lack of effort and imagination. I expect he will continue in the same vein im afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Tell him you've become a Jehovah's Witness and will not be giving anyone any birthday or Christmas presents any more.

Wrap yourself up and give yourself to him as his special present next time you're in the mood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringUnderdog)
    So is the sole purpose of giving presents to receive one in return?

It's pretty low to think that a relationship runs on if someone buys a material possession or not.
    It’s not about the material possession. It’s the fact that this person obviously cares about their boyfriend and is willing to go above and beyond to show that.
    In return he has given nothing. Price doesn’t matter. However when someone has spent that about of money on you, it’s nice to show a bit of appreciation. From the sound of the initial post, the write sounds upset. If your partner is upsetting you frequently, you should leave.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    this has to be a troll?

who spends £600 on a gift for their bf,
    gets nothing in return for their birthday ..and then has to think twice about whether to buy him another present?

ReputationRep:
    It's not petty, if he didn't bother to get you anything you shouldn't bother to get him anything. I do this to my friends all the time, if I get nothing from them they get nothing from me. Would work exactly the same with a bf, they are the ones who SHOULD be getting you something

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.