The Student Room Group

Is my new housemate HIV positive? how do i approach him about it?

Is Tenofovir used for HIV treatment? Is my new housemate HIV positive?
He recently moved in with us, I suspected he wasn't quite right, health wise and after discovering his medication, i am worried that he may have HIV and didn't inform us all, I have not mention anything to the other housemates as of yet, am just worried of sharing things with him, am i overreacting? how do i approach him about it?

Scroll to see replies

not to be horrible but does it matter if he has an STI to you? you are not going to contract it... its a private thing maybe he doesnt want to tell everyone
Original post by Lucas1Wright
He recently moved in with us, I suspected he wasn't quite right, health wise and after discovering his medication, i am worried that he may have HIV and didn't inform us all, I have not mention anything to the other housemates as of yet, am just worried of sharing things with him, am i overreacting? how do i approach him about it?

just don't kiss him
Original post by KylieemilyJ
not to be horrible but does it matter if he has an STI to you? you are not going to contract it... its a private thing maybe he doesnt want to tell everyone

dont be self-righteous. You know you wouldnt feel safe around someone with HIV. You can easily contract it, especially with someone you live with, what are you actually saying?? Especially a female since they menstruate. I mean..they could easily cut their hand, even a paper cut, touch something, and that's it for you if you touch what they touched not knowing they touched it.
Are you going to have sex with him without condom? If not, why is that any of your concern? I'm of course assuming by "sharing things", you don't mean sharing a needle to do drugs together, or you're actually a vampire and will be drinking his blood.

In fact, if he's on treatment, he's likely to be undetectable, which means his HIV would be untransmittable as well. And ever if he's not on that level yet, he'd already have passed the period with the highest viral load, as that'd be the initial months when one could not know one is HIV positive.

Regardless, to answer your first question, yes and no.

Tenofovir could be used for HIV treatment, but it's now also used as a preventive medication called PrEP. With at least four of them every week, one can expect the possibility of an HIV transmission to be lowered by up to 99% (ie better than condoms). And needless to say, one would need to be HIV negative to be on PrEP.

But in any case, he has absolutely no obligation to disclose his health information to you unless he's your sex partner.
Original post by Bang Outta Order

dont be self-righteous. You know you wouldnt feel safe around someone with HIV. You can easily contract it, especially with someone you live with, what are you actually saying?? Especially a female since they menstruate. I mean..they could easily cut their hand, even a paper cut, touch something, and that's it for you if you touch what they touched not knowing they touched it.

Aye, I like to consider myself a sensitive and sensible young professional. I thought being squeamish about HIV was childish. Till I had a HIV+ client and they almost coughed on me ... I knew it wasn't spread through saliva, but nevertheless a brick was ****. The consequence is so grave that it makes reason jump out the window.
Original post by lowtestbeta
just don't kiss him

It's impossible to get infected with HIV with a kiss.

You may catch a cold, however.

It's impossible to get HIV that way.

Not only would a cut not normally be enough, HIV also cannot stay outside of the body for more than a few seconds, and so let's say:

1. he bled to death and all his blood has been soaked in a towel;
2. you've chopped off your arm and you've decided that you'd use that blood-dripping towel to cover your "cut".

You still won't get HIV.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
It's impossible to get infected with HIV with a kiss.

You may catch a cold, however.

Aint nobody got time for a cold lol

Original post by Notoriety
Aye, I like to consider myself a sensitive and sensible young professional. I thought being squeamish about HIV was childish. Till I had a HIV+ client and they almost coughed on me ... I knew it wasn't spread through saliva, but nevertheless a brick was ****. The consequence is so grave that it makes reason jump out the window.

aw come on man, working with someone is far less likely to catch it than living with someone when their bodily fluids are over everything. Thats a place to be and feel safe, no one deserves to be all jumpy. I think OP should ask, its their right to know who they live with.
aw come on man, working with someone is far less likely to catch it than living with someone when their bodily fluids are over everything. Thats a place to be and feel safe, no one deserves to be all jumpy. I think OP should ask, its their right to know who they live with.

HIV doesn't survive long on body fluids exposed to the air.

Presumably, when you "live" with someone, you don't mean to have bareback orgies every day.
It's impossible to get HIV that way.

Not only would a cut not normally be enough, HIV also cannot stay outside of the body for more than a few seconds, and so let's say:

1. he bled to death and all his blood has been soaked in a towel;
2. you've chopped off your arm and you've decided that you'd use that blood-dripping towel to cover your "cut".

You still won't get HIV.

you cant just say it's impossible. Im talking about touching it and not knowing That means since you're unaware you'll most likely touch your eyes, rub your eyes, eat..put your fingers in your mouth...Nah now you're being ridiculous. If their blood is all over the place from a knife cut or "bleeding to death" I'm sure it would infect you. And the point isnt whether it does or doesnt, it's that the OP doesn't KNOW and they nor you should live in fear. The qustion isn't "will I get HIV" the question is "Should I worry, should I ask them" and I say yes.
nice reference.

1. It's simply your ignorance and you're buying into the decades-long propaganda for you to fear for anything HIV-related.

2. The consequences are not grave:
a. HIV carriers have a similar life expectancy as everyone else these days;
b. with treatment, it's now quite possible for someone to be "undetectable", meaning that person's HIV cannot be transmitted no matter what;
c. the NHS would pay for the costs for the treatment.
HIV doesn't survive long on body fluids exposed to the air.

Presumably, when you "live" with someone, you don't mean to have bareback orgies every day.

why are you quoting "live" the OP is askng about his housemate...
Reply 14
Original post by Lucas1Wright
am i overreacting? how do i approach him about it?

Maybe; none of your business; yes; don't.

To be clear, the problem with this client was that he was a drug user who was high at the time. He was coughing, sneezing all over the place, and visibly had terrible teeth. Bleeding gums was a possibility. I have worked with HIV people, being treated as LTG describes. But in this case, it was a bloke who wouldn't take any drugs unless they were derived from opium or ethanol.
Hmmm, are you sure he's aladeen and not aladeen?
you cant just say it's impossible. Im talking about touching it and not knowing That means since you're unaware you'll most likely touch your eyes, rub your eyes, eat..put your fingers in your mouth...Nah now you're being ridiculous. If their blood is all over the place from a knife cut or "bleeding to death" I'm sure it would infect you. And the point isnt whether it does or doesnt, it's that the OP doesn't KNOW and they nor you should live in fear. The qustion isn't "will I get HIV" the question is "Should I worry, should I ask them" and I say yes.

You are wrong.

HIV doesn't survive long when exposed to air, no matter how much body fluid there is.
To be clear, the problem with this client was that he was a drug user who was high at the time. He was coughing, sneezing all over the place, and visibly had terrible teeth. Bleeding gums was a possibility. I have worked with HIV people, being treated as LTG describes. But in this case, it was a bloke who wouldn't take any drugs unless they were derived from opium or ethanol.

ok

You are wrong.

HIV doesn't survive long when exposed to air, no matter how much body fluid there is.

Anyway he should ask OP if he has illness, have a nice night buddy

Unless you're worried that he might take out a used needle and stab you with it, there's absolutely no need to worry about it.

Quick Reply

Latest