Turn on thread page Beta

Is my new housemate HIV positive? how do i approach him about it? watch

ReputationRep:
    Omg the more I’m looking at this thread the more I’m worried, people are so ignorant. Please watch this TED talk in full https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O13KwsyDqeE
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by KirstyPlumb)
    You could acc kiss him, you still wouldn’t catch it, just don’t have unprotected sex with him, that is literally the only way to catch HIV bar having a blood transfusion with infected blood
    Given he's being treated, unprotected sex won't do it either.

Look up 'undetectable = uninfectious' or 'treatment as prevention'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unprinted)
    Given he's being treated, unprotected sex won't do it either.

Look up 'undetectable = uninfectious' or 'treatment as prevention'.
    Oh yeah, you’re right, I didn’t even think about that, I forgot the whole reason this tread was made was because he found medication. Yeah guys, it’s practically impossible for you to contract it soooooo ....

ReputationRep:
    That’s literally none of your business. Please get educated about how you can actually contract it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    It's impossible to get infected with HIV with a kiss.
    Unless you both have bleeding gums
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Unless you both have bleeding gums
    Find me a single study - as opposed to an odd 'Ooooh, it might have happened' case report - where kissing shows up as greater than nil risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bang Outta Order)

dont be self-righteous. You know you wouldnt feel safe around someone with HIV. You can easily contract it, especially with someone you live with, what are you actually saying?? Especially a female since they menstruate. I mean..they could easily cut their hand, even a paper cut, touch something, and that's it for you if you touch what they touched not knowing they touched it.

Not really, People are entitled to keep their medical status private and not spread it around. Sexual partners should of course be told but house mates have no need to know if it won't affect them. HIV is difficult to contract outside sexual contact so there is no reason to worry.

If you had some disease or illness that wasn't particularly infectious would you be spreading around the fact you have it happily?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Are you going to have sex with him without condom? If not, why is that any of your concern?
    Doctors do not have sex with their patients but they always check for infectious diseases such as HIV and take an immense amount of precautions around such patients. HIV can spread easily to people that you are living with, sharing a bathroom with etc...

Its one of those diseases that require people to tell those living with them about it. It his right to know.

To the OP....What I would do is approach the university and seek advice from them in regards to this matter. It is your right to know whether or not he has HIV so you can take precautions but with this right comes also responsibility to respect his confidentiality. If you use it against him say bye bye to your place at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieButter)
    Doctors do not have sex with their patients but they always check for infectious diseases such as HIV and take an immense amount of precautions around such patients. HIV can spread easily to people that you are living with, sharing a bathroom with etc...

Its one of those diseases that require people to tell those living with them about it. It his right to know.

To the OP....What I would do is approach the university and seek advice from them in regards to this matter. It is your right to know whether or not he has HIV so you can take precautions but with this right comes also responsibility to respect his confidentiality. If you use it against him say bye bye to your place at uni.
    This is incorrect, Its not easy at all (in fact on medication its practically impossible) to spread the HIV virus to others, even if you are living with them. He could spit on all your cutlery, be the sloppiest housemate ever and you still wouldn't be able to contract HIV.

Similarly, if there was even a remote chance you thought you had contracted the HIV virus from something your housemate has done (and I stress again - this is basically IMPOSSIBLE), you can be put on immediate prevention methods and tested within 6months, it has a high success rate of preventing HIV virus. Perhaps this is what happened to your new housemate - maybe something happened that required him to take this medication? This is all speculation!!

It isn't a requirement and it is not your right to know whether someone has HIV, thats completely personal information and the only time that a person has the right to know is if they were entering a sexual relationship with them.

I understand why someone might feel anxious around someone if they aren't sure about the full facts, but I think its really important that people remain educated and don't jump to conclusions. Similarly put yourself in this young persons shoes, if they do have HIV (which you still don't know is true) imagine how they must be feeling? Respect their privacy as well, clearly they don't want to share at the moment, perhaps when you get to know them better and are more comfortable around each other, then he might be more forthright with his answers.

ReputationRep:
    Find me a single study - as opposed to an odd 'Ooooh, it might have happened' case report - where kissing shows up as greater than nil risk.
    For what? All it can take is the blood of an infected person to get into your body in order to be at risk of contracting it from them

ReputationRep:

It is only your right to know if you are a sexual partner, being a house mate doesn't come with the right to know of medical status. If he wished to disclose this information then that is his prerogative.

Given what you said I assume you don't mean he has a right not to share the information but I do hope so. But I will still agree with the point that if he does reveal it then that should be kept confidential.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bang Outta Order)

dont be self-righteous. You know you wouldnt feel safe around someone with HIV. You can easily contract it, especially with someone you live with, what are you actually saying?? Especially a female since they menstruate. I mean..they could easily cut their hand, even a paper cut, touch something, and that's it for you if you touch what they touched not knowing they touched it.
    No it's NOT "easy" to contract HIV. It has to be a blood to blood contact... The scenario of their getting a paper cut and then you touching something they got blood on is not quite accurate. You'd have to touch the blood within a short time WITH AN OPEN CUT of you own... in other words, the blood they left on a knife, for example, would have to be wet, and then it would have to go directly into your own blood stream. There are differing opinions on exactly how long the virus survives after exposure to air, so I'm posting the American CDC's site about infection and how it occurs. Also, Tenofovir or Viread is used for Hep. B, and also for PREVENTION of HIV... even if your roomie is HIV poz., if their status is "undetectable", that means they would not show as positive in a test, but that the virus was previously detected and could return if the person stops taking their medications. Tenofovir, if being used for HIV infection, is always used in combination with other HIV meds.

I don't know how you "discovered" the medication, but, I'd say you should talk to the roommate, since you know this much, but it would not be right to tell others before you talk to him. He may have not told you because, really, just being housemates there's virtually no risk to you. Remember, it has to be BLOOD TO BLOOD, not blood to skin, so the chances are quite low. I am poz- undetectable, and have lived with roommates for 15 years and there's never been the slightest problem. If you talk to him reasonably, I think you two can come up with some kind of understanding that will allow him to remain there, and possibly he should tell the others just out of total disclosure and honestly, as well as the minimal safety concerns.

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/basics/transmission.html
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    For what? All it can take is the blood of an infected person to get into your body in order to be at risk of contracting it from them
    It's possible to go 'Well, if an HIV+ person cuddles a teddy bear while they have a cut on their finger, and then gives it to child who has a cut, then they COULD get HIV' and in the 80s you could get published as a case report if you wrote to an important medical journal wondering if this had happened* but the only way to actually know the risks is to follow a group of people over time, see what they do and what happens as a result.

From doing that, there is solid evidence to say what are some approximate risks of HIV transmission, assuming untreated HIV:

Needlestick injury - you get jabbed by a needle used on someone HIV+: about 3 in 10,000.

Bite injury - someone HIV+ actively bites you, cutting the skin: less than 1 in 10,000

Fellatio with ejaculation - an HIV+ man comes in your mouth: less than 1 in 10,000, possibly as close to nil as makes no difference.

Kissing: Nil. Zero. Zip. If it weren't, they'd be a hell of a lot more people with HIV...

* Daily Heil version: 'Official: teddy bears can give you Aids'.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by BigFatHead)
    Tenofovir or Viread is used for Hep. B, and also for PREVENTION of HIV ... Tenofovir, if being used for HIV infection, is always used in combination with other HIV meds.
    Yep in the UK, it's not used alone to prevent HIV, so it could be a HepB treatment (or Mr Nosey hasn't found the other meds).

OP: If you're now panicking about HepB, just get vaccinated. Go to a sexual health clinic, say you have sex with other men and you should be offered it for free. Alternatively, assorted commercial clinics will charge you if you say you're travelling to somewhere that requires it.

ReputationRep:
    It's possible to go 'Well, if an HIV+ person cuddles a teddy bear while they have a cut on their finger, and then gives it to child who has a cut, then they COULD get HIV' and in the 80s you could get published as a case report if you wrote to an important medical journal wondering if this had happened* but the only way to actually know the risks is to follow a group of people over time, see what they do and what happens as a result.

From doing that, there is solid evidence to say what are some approximate risks of HIV transmission, assuming untreated HIV:

Needlestick injury - you get jabbed by a needle used on someone HIV+: about 3 in 10,000.

Bite injury - someone HIV+ actively bites you, cutting the skin: less than 1 in 10,000

Fellatio with ejaculation - an HIV+ man comes in your mouth: less than 1 in 10,000, possibly as close to nil as makes no difference.

Kissing: Nil. Zero. Zip. If it weren't, they'd be a hell of a lot more people with HIV...

* Daily Heil version: 'Official: teddy bears can give you Aids'.
    Most of this was irrelevant

All I said is that if the blood of an infected person gets in your body then you could contract it from them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigFatHead)
    No it's NOT "easy" to contract HIV. It has to be a blood to blood contact... The scenario of their getting a paper cut and then you touching something they got blood on is not quite accurate. You'd have to touch the blood within a short time WITH AN OPEN CUT of you own... in other words, the blood they left on a knife, for example, would have to be wet, and then it would have to go directly into your own blood stream. There are differing opinions on exactly how long the virus survives after exposure to air, so I'm posting the American CDC's site about infection and how it occurs. Also, Tenofovir or Viread is used for Hep. B, and also for PREVENTION of HIV... even if your roomie is HIV poz., if their status is "undetectable", that means they would not show as positive in a test, but that the virus was previously detected and could return if the person stops taking their medications. Tenofovir, if being used for HIV infection, is always used in combination with other HIV meds.

I don't know how you "discovered" the medication, but, I'd say you should talk to the roommate, since you know this much, but it would not be right to tell others before you talk to him. He may have not told you because, really, just being housemates there's virtually no risk to you. Remember, it has to be BLOOD TO BLOOD, not blood to skin, so the chances are quite low. I am poz- undetectable, and have lived with roommates for 15 years and there's never been the slightest problem. If you talk to him reasonably, I think you two can come up with some kind of understanding that will allow him to remain there, and possibly he should tell the others just out of total disclosure and honestly, as well as the minimal safety concerns.

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/basics/transmission.html
    I'll read this when you lower your bloody caps.

ReputationRep:
    Once again, that's wrong.

Doctors ask because they most likely need to handle body fluids, and surgeons are exposed to the risks for very, very obvious reasons. Not even GPs necessarily ask or are entitled to knowing one's HIV status, unless there is an accident/incident such as a used needle being used on the medic.

You don't handle your flatmates' body fluids, unless you're sleeping with them.

And because of that, it isn't his right to know someone's HIV status.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucas1Wright)
    Nah am straight. I guess my concern comes from the fact that i don't know much about HIV or the medication itself and maybe i am just overreacting a bit however i feel if we're going to be living together while studying, there need to be a bit of trust going on here, all 4 of us housemate have made him feel welcomed and part of the group, having nights out, studying together..etc..

I mean we share 2 bathrooms and a large kitchen with Utensils, let say for example he uses the same spoon, forks or even accidentally spits on any of us while chatting or stops taking the medication, what happens to him then?

By letting us all housemates know, it may help us understand him and the illness itself better to help or make things easier for him, if need be.
    well when he moved in the other 2 girls informed him that they were vegetarian so...it's only fair. not that i am comparing HIV to being vegetarian...of course being a vegetarian is far worse!
    Nothing. Unless he chops his hand off, use the spoon to carry multiple times fresh blood to fill it up your arse. And only if he does it very quickly.

ReputationRep:
    well i wouldnt advise coming in contact with his semen, but other then that sounds like its his issue to deal with.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucas1Wright)
    I gave him a lift this morning, on the drive, i casually asked him about the medication (Tenofovir) tablets he takes all time, he replied " oh it's for my nose". which is bull really and does not help calm my fear at all but i didn't press him on it. I still haven't mention anything to the other housemates about his medication as of yet.

Am not being unfair to him but am an extreme hypochondriac, i would prefer if here was just honest.

On the HIV, i don't know anything about the illness, however i will now do my research and read up on it.
    You're acting like you do here and seeing some other people's responses, and you're surprised that he didn't tell you it's HIV medication (either treatment or prevention)?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.