Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelinahx)
    This isn't even true. To even imply that Sheffield (lmao) and London have equal employment opportunities is lying to OP.
    Never mentioned there was more employment oppurtunities?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbrdodd)
    Its harder in areas such as London due to high rent prices, so youll be working hard for little return for yourself due to bills (such as rent, tax, etc) but if you lived somewhere such as Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds, etc; you’d be working hard for things in return with lots of opportunities.
    🤔🤔🤔

ReputationRep:
    You implied there were. There is literally no reason moving to the UK if you're going to move to Sheffield or Leeds lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WiSi)
    Why?
    Just don't bother if you are coming here to live in London the least British city in the entire country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stewpid)
    Just don't bother if you are coming here to live in London the least British city in the entire country
    I'm not interested only in London, I nominated it because is a famous city, but there are also others like Bristol, Brighton, Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds etc...

ReputationRep:
    You implied there were. There is literally no reason moving to the UK if you're going to move to Sheffield or Leeds lmao
    This because people go to sleep early or shops close early ?

ReputationRep:
    Because I have lived in London for seven months and I have visited other British cities, such as Portsmouth, Brighton, Exeter, Torquay and Cambridge. They're uninteresting and plain. Shops close at 6PM and there is little employment prospects (this is especially if true if you're not in London, Birmingham, Manchester or Leeds). Also, I wouldn't move here for "quality of life". According to the where-to-be-born index, it ranks amongst one of the lowest in Europe.
    You are right...https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...countries.html.
    This is weird, you are right.

Anyway, I think that this "where to be born" do not represent the reality of the job opportunities because consider also the expectation of life, that in Italy is very high, maybe the highest of the world, and balance the low job opportunities and low salaries.

There is also the fact that this raking was made in 2013, 5 years ago.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    So far everyone in this thread is only talking about England as though that's all the UK is. Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland all have a lot going for them and the culture is different in each nation too. If you decide to move to the UK you have a lot of different options and you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you only considered London. Your best bet is to embrace flexibility so you can go where the work is, even if it's in a place you wouldn't have considered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    Yep, lots of post grads are really struggling to get employment and end up working in retail instead of their field. Research the job market in the field you’re in, it’s not impossible to get work but it certainly isn’t easy.
    Yes, obviously not all the degree all the same.

Where I live the best opportunities belong to those people that have a degree in Sanitary sciences ( med, vet, etc..) or Engineering.

Who have a degree in Science ( such as math, physics, biology etc..) or Humanities, have difficulties in finding a good job.

I don't know how things work there, but I know that people that work in finance have really good salaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pantsu)
    So far everyone in this thread is only talking about England as though that's all the UK is. Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland all have a lot going for them and the culture is different in each nation too. If you decide to move to the UK you have a lot of different options and you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you only considered London. Your best bet is to embrace flexibility so you can go where the work is, even if it's in a place you wouldn't have considered.
    As I said before, I'm not considering only London, it was just an example.
    Mine question was about difficulties that can be found in integrating or living in another place.

I have a friend from the UK, she leaved near me, but she didn't resist here, because she didn't like Italy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WiSi)

Where I live the best opportunities belong to those people that have a degree in Sanitary sciences ( med, vet, etc..) or Engineering.

Who have a degree in Science ( such as math, physics, biology etc..) or Humanities, have difficulties in finding a good job.

I don't know how things work there, but I know that people that work in finance have really good salaries.
    same story here. major in a vocational subject like med/vet/dentistry, engineering, comp sci and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WiSi)

Yeah it’s pretty much the same here. Have you done a degree? What area are you wanting to work in if you move to the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WiSi)
    I'm not interested only in London, I nominated it because is a famous city, but there are also others like Bristol, Brighton, Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds etc...
    Nottingham is kind of booming also, however the UK is getting more and more expensive, rent is high, there is no rent control like in mainland europe, so unless you get a high paid job and are qualified to do sonething special dont bother..Also the UK economy is surviving right now, but thats not guaranteed post brexit.. If the pound falls off a cliff then consumer prices will really rocket. its an import nation so food prices could jump. Its a developed world nation with a sluggish economy and high income ills. Translation being low paid is just as tough here as anywhere in the developed world. If you really want to come here, then do it but dont think the streets are paved with gold. Everyone may be employed but alot are under employed and working class (low pay).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickyrossman)
    same story here. major in a vocational subject like med/vet/dentistry, engineering, comp sci and you'll be fine.
    Where I live computer science is not a great option, there salaries are around 1100-1400 per month.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know it depends where you are going to stay. (which part of the country and what you want to do.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    Yeah it’s pretty much the same here. Have you done a degree? What area are you wanting to work in if you move to the UK?
    Well, I honestly hoped that Uk invest more money in the research and that PhD student have a decent salary.
    Here is about 900 euros, at most 1100, and is hard to survive without asking money to parents.

Is Uk suffering still today for what happened in 2008, or the situation was always like today?

My main problem is that were live, people, no matter what degree they have, do not become independent from parent before 35-40 and is a late period, you have no possibility to have a family or a child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Realitysreflexx)
    Nottingham is kind of booming also, however the UK is getting more and more expensive, rent is high, there is no rent control like in mainland europe, so unless you get a high paid job and are qualified to do sonething special dont bother..Also the UK economy is surviving right now, but thats not guaranteed post brexit.. If the pound falls off a cliff then consumer prices will really rocket. its an import nation so food prices could jump. Its a developed world nation with a sluggish economy and high income ills. Translation being low paid is just as tough here as anywhere in the developed world. If you really want to come here, then do it but dont think the streets are paved with gold. Everyone may be employed but alot are under employed and working class (low pay).
    Seem that British are more worried about Brexit then any other country.
    I don't understand why, the pound have a bigger value then the euro or the dollar, it the powerful type of money.
    The crazy think is that this decision was made by the population.....

Also there the economy is sluggish?!?
    I tough that UK the the world leader of Finance and Banks.

Low salaries are everywhere, I just tough that with a degree there are good possibility, there is no country that assure you everything cause it's impossible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WiSi)
    Seem that British are more worried about Brexit then any other country.
    I don't understand why, the pound have a bigger value then the euro or the dollar, it the powerful type of money.
    The crazy think is that this decision was made by the population.....

Also there the economy is sluggish?!?
    I tough that UK the the world leader of Finance and Banks.

Low salaries are everywhere, I just tough that with a degree there are good possibility, there is no country that assure you everything cause it's impossible.
    One of the reasons UK banking is so succcesful is because it can operate in that big population ie europe if it loses access to 500+ million people and there are banking tariffs that wont be easy.

Also im German, lets be honest if you spoke German you would wanna go there far stronger economy alot less uncertainty.

So i mean tbh its not in the best of positions on brexit, the british people realize this. Picking a fight as one nation vs 27 is always difficult.

Leaving the EU brings a littany of regulation issues, which businesses hate.

The us strength of currency is not comparable, america produces its own food and is its own massive economy the UK provides alot of services to mainland europe and imports.. Also cant print money at will and dictate monetary policy is far more dependent on other nations.

Also high pound hurts uk for its export business so technically its good. The main reason the pound is strong though is because people make alot less money in the uk then in germany for example. So if consumers buying power decreases because imports prices go up thats bad for the consumer.

Not everyone is rich in england and you wont be coming here to join the elite, you will be coming here looking to survive, so you need a viewpoint of a middle class existence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Realitysreflexx)
    One of the reasons UK banking is so succcesful is because it can operate in that big population ie europe if it loses access to 500+ million people and there are banking tariffs that wont be easy.

Also im German, lets be honest if you spoke German you would wanna go there far stronger economy alot less uncertainty.

So i mean tbh its not in the best of positions on brexit, the british people realize this. Picking a fight as one nation vs 27 is always difficult.

Leaving the EU brings a littany of regulation issues, which businesses hate.

The us strength of currency is not comparable, america produces its own food and is its own massive economy the UK provides alot of services to mainland europe and imports.. Also cant print money at will and dictate monetary policy is far more dependent on other nations.

Also high pound hurts uk for its export business so technically its good. The main reason the pound is strong though is because people make alot less money in the uk then in germany for example. So if consumers buying power decreases because imports prices go up thats bad for the consumer.

Not everyone is rich in england and you wont be coming here to join the elite, you will be coming here looking to survive, so you need a viewpoint of a middle class existence.
    If you are from Germany, nice to meet you!
    Are you convinced that German economy is better then UK's one?
    I mean, english is the international language, Uk was always well-knower for the opportunities.

If the Brexit have so many bad side effects, why most of the people wanted it?
    There will probably be less foreign students, less people that will want to work there, it seems that someone forced Uk to go out of EU.

Salaries in Germany are better then in the UK?!?

Of course not everyone is rich in the UK, you have to work, and I intend to do it, nothing is free, I know it, but this is a general rule everywhere. Even if some countries have better welfare system then others, and here US is not a good country, no one will give you something for free.

What I hoped to find in the UK is just a meritocratic way to grow, like working hard and obtaining with time good position and be able to be independent from my family, by doing something that I like.
    I'm not expecting to became rich.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.