Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Year 12 student studying Chemistry, Biology, History and Mathematics. I've always wanted to go down the medicine route, however I've had no luck with work experience and I'm becoming more and more put off the idea of studying medicine.

My strongest subject is definitely history, but after researching career opportunities, I don't think I want to pursue that either. I feel like I've researched every course there is but I can't find a degree that I have a strong interest in and also provides a stable career.

Please help. There was never any doubt in my mind that I would go on to do medicine, however now, with a mere few months to decide, I have no idea what I want to do with my life!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)
    If you had work experience would you have considered medicine? Maybe we can help suggest how you go about organising it?
    Perhaps? I've tried for months to organise it at hospitals, GPs and even local care homes/hospices, however I've either gotten no response or there has been an issue with organising references. I feel like it's too late at this point to even get work experience.

Even if I had done it, I still have doubts about going into medicine as it is clear that other applicants have such a stronger passion about the career than I do. Also, I don't know how I'd write a personal statement when I have practically no drive to pursue this career anymore.

I haven't completely written it off yet however because I feel like I'd be letting people down by not doing medicine at university, I've always told friends and family that a medicine degree was what I would do.

Thank you for replying!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)
    I am sorry to hear this. Have you tried emailing your local medical school? I know for a fact that our medical school has "taster" courses for A-Level students. All out local hospitals also have similar work experience. GP tends to be harder as they are busier. It is not too late, as we have A2 students coming even after the 15th October deadline.
    I haven't, I'll definitely email and find out whether or not they offer any type of course for A Level students. I'll try again at other local places (care homes, hospices, etc) and see if I can arrange something, as I feel it is definitely necessary to help me come to a decision.

Thank you for all of your help!!

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.