Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi, i'm in year 11 and about to take my GCSEs :0

I have already picked two of my a-levels as maths and economics but i am very conflicted whether i could or should take geography a-level as my third a-level

concern 1: at gcse geography i have been predicted a 6 (B), i'm worried that if i am struggling to get an a or a* at gcse, i will not be able to get an a or a* at a-level

concern 2: i am very very interested in human geography but not so keen on the physical side of geography as well as case studies, should that be a concern?

concern 3: i am not too good at essay writing and i have heard some of the question in geography exams can be u to 50 marks! this really worries me

despite the concerns, i may have to take geography because the school i am transferring to said they will not allow me to change the subjects i have chosen at any circumstance and honestly even if i had the choice there really isn't any other subject other than geography that i would like to take

if you are currently taking geography a-level, know friends who take geography a-levl or have previously taken geography a-level, i would really appreciate if you could share any of your experiences and advice

thank you so much in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soundgirl)

I have already picked two of my a-levels as maths and economics but i am very conflicted whether i could or should take geography a-level as my third a-level

concern 1: at gcse geography i have been predicted a 6 (B), i'm worried that if i am struggling to get an a or a* at gcse, i will not be able to get an a or a* at a-level

concern 2: i am very very interested in human geography but not so keen on the physical side of geography as well as case studies, should that be a concern?

concern 3: i am not too good at essay writing and i have heard some of the question in geography exams can be u to 50 marks! this really worries me

despite the concerns, i may have to take geography because the school i am transferring to said they will not allow me to change the subjects i have chosen at any circumstance and honestly even if i had the choice there really isn't any other subject other than geography that i would like to take

if you are currently taking geography a-level, know friends who take geography a-levl or have previously taken geography a-level, i would really appreciate if you could share any of your experiences and advice

Hi I'm in year 12 taking geography a level.
    There are definitely essay based questions, HOWEVER, you will be taught lots on how to plan them, structure them and write them. I don't particularly like writing essays but from the teaching, I've been getting from around 14-17 out of 20 mostly due to the structure we have been taught.

Case studies are a lot different in comparison to gcse. You don't learn set case studies in a sense. Instead you will have a couple large ones for each topic where you learn a range of facts etc . At a level, you could say you learn parts of the topic through a case study. At a level, it's all about building up your knowledge about the world around you. If you can find news articles every now and then that relate to a topic, print it and see if you can find any interesting statistics and the source of it. It will be beneficial

I was on the letter grades for GCSE. I was targeted an A and was getting Bs in year 10. I started getting more interested at the end of year 10/start of year 11 so I made sure to colour code my notes. In the end I got an A*
    For revision notes, I had lined paper and I went through the revision guide as well as my book and made neat notes almost like my own textbook. Then to learn the content I would read part of it then sit and speak out loud attempting to recall it until I could do it. I also did practice questions and practice case studies when my teacher assigned them. I highly recommend using the quizlet app to make sets of case study facts for each case study you have so you can practice whenever.

With a level, I prefer the physical side however I'm beginning to enjoy the human side a bit more now because of the range of topics we cover. At my sixth form, a lot of people who take geography got around a B for GCSE so it's not impossible at all. You just have to have the passion for the subject and the passion to try hard. Because hard work is more likely to drive you to success.

I hope this is somewhat helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsMeme)
    Hi I'm in year 12 taking geography a level.
    There are definitely essay based questions, HOWEVER, you will be taught lots on how to plan them, structure them and write them. I don't particularly like writing essays but from the teaching, I've been getting from around 14-17 out of 20 mostly due to the structure we have been taught.

Case studies are a lot different in comparison to gcse. You don't learn set case studies in a sense. Instead you will have a couple large ones for each topic where you learn a range of facts etc . At a level, you could say you learn parts of the topic through a case study. At a level, it's all about building up your knowledge about the world around you. If you can find news articles every now and then that relate to a topic, print it and see if you can find any interesting statistics and the source of it. It will be beneficial

I was on the letter grades for GCSE. I was targeted an A and was getting Bs in year 10. I started getting more interested at the end of year 10/start of year 11 so I made sure to colour code my notes. In the end I got an A*
    For revision notes, I had lined paper and I went through the revision guide as well as my book and made neat notes almost like my own textbook. Then to learn the content I would read part of it then sit and speak out loud attempting to recall it until I could do it. I also did practice questions and practice case studies when my teacher assigned them. I highly recommend using the quizlet app to make sets of case study facts for each case study you have so you can practice whenever.

With a level, I prefer the physical side however I'm beginning to enjoy the human side a bit more now because of the range of topics we cover. At my sixth form, a lot of people who take geography got around a B for GCSE so it's not impossible at all. You just have to have the passion for the subject and the passion to try hard. Because hard work is more likely to drive you to success.

I hope this is somewhat helpful
    this was soon helpful, thank you very much

ReputationRep:

Im in A2 studying geography having got a low B at GCSE but as it was my favourite subject i decided to still pick it for a level and ended up with an A at AS so do not worry if you get a 6. There is alot of essay writing however the format in which you write them is relatively simple and will be taught to you. I would definitely consider picking it as you are already interested in it so you will want to revise.
    Good Luck!😁

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamiemcq17)
    Im in A2 studying geography having got a low B at GCSE but as it was my favourite subject i decided to still pick it for a level and ended up with an A at AS so do not worry if you get a 6. There is alot of essay writing however the format in which you write them is relatively simple and will be taught to you. I would definitely consider picking it as you are already interested in it so you will want to revise.
    Good Luck!😁
    thank you good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:

I was meant to get a C for GCSE geography, but I got a B.
    I like human geography too, not a fan of physical, but it isn't that bad it is very interesting.
    Don't worry about essays they are easy to get marks on because of the structure you are taught.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAlchemistress)
    I was meant to get a C for GCSE geography, but I got a B.
    I like human geography too, not a fan of physical, but it isn't that bad it is very interesting.
    Don't worry about essays they are easy to get marks on because of the structure you are taught.
    thank you x is there coursework? is the a-level just lots of memorising?

ReputationRep:
    thank you x is there coursework? is the a-level just lots of memorising?
    There is coursework and a lot of memorising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAlchemistress)
    There is coursework and a lot of memorising.
    oh no how hard is it memorising all of the content?

ReputationRep:
    oh no how hard is it memorising all of the content?
    It’s not bad, it’s pretty straight forward.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently a year 12 student studying A-Level Geography, and let me tell you this:There is A LOT of content, I'm not sure if it's just because of my teachers but I've currently nearly finished 4 topics and the workload has already filled an entire large lever arch file. The content is immense and you'll have a lot of Case Studies, a few large and a few small. Personally, I think human is much easier since it's much more open and logical whilst physical is just facts, facts and more facts. Just be prepared for the workload and hope to have interesting teachers, cause let me tell you, it will be really really boring if you have a boring teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnknownSophie)
    I'm currently a year 12 student studying A-Level Geography, and let me tell you this:There is A LOT of content, I'm not sure if it's just because of my teachers but I've currently nearly finished 4 topics and the workload has already filled an entire large lever arch file. The content is immense and you'll have a lot of Case Studies, a few large and a few small. Personally, I think human is much easier since it's much more open and logical whilst physical is just facts, facts and more facts. Just be prepared for the workload and hope to have interesting teachers, cause let me tell you, it will be really really boring if you have a boring teacher.
    oh no I feel really worried about the physical side now, what would be your advice if i was to take it?

ReputationRep:
    oh no I feel really worried about the physical side now, what would be your advice if i was to take it?
    Don’t be. I’d recommend that after every lesson, summarise your notes. Something I wish I had done early on. Put it into a separate folder ready for mock/exam season. It will allow you to revise so much quicker! Practise exam questions, not AS but a level. AS questions are a lot easier, and sadly it won’t be like that for our exams.

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.