Turn on thread page Beta

Do my parents have to know?& counselling watch

About two years ago maybe, I suffered from PTSD.
    I have got over the PTSD, and I haven't done anything bad in a while but I'm worried I'm starting to feel the same, but I cannot have my parents finding out.
    I am 16 and I have a counsellor, my question mainly is- if I tell her, would she have to tell somebody? She doesn't know that it was a thing before, she only knows about my anxiety.
    If my parents did find out, I would feel incredibly uncomfortable and they wouldn't take it well, just like last time. At the same time, she'll only be able to give advise and tell me all the stuff I know- "do some exercise" I do, "meditate" stresses me out, "tell somebody or ring a helpline" this would make me feel incredibly uncomfortable. she also says I'm too young for medication, so I don't know what to do here either. It's just not been a good few months yano.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    About two years ago maybe, I suffered from PTSD.
    I have got over the PTSD, and I haven't done anything bad in a while but I'm worried I'm starting to feel the same, but I cannot have my parents finding out.
    I am 16 and I have a counsellor, my question mainly is- if I tell her, would she have to tell somebody? She doesn't know that it was a thing before, she only knows about my anxiety.
    If my parents did find out, I would feel incredibly uncomfortable and they wouldn't take it well, just like last time. At the same time, she'll only be able to give advise and tell me all the stuff I know- "do some exercise" I do, "meditate" stresses me out, "tell somebody or ring a helpline" this would make me feel incredibly uncomfortable. she also says I'm too young for medication, so I don't know what to do here either. It's just not been a good few months yano.
    Hi there. As standard, anything you say in counselling is confidential and they can't tell anybody. They can break that confidentiality and tell somebody if they believe you or somebody else are at serious risk, but if you think that may happen you can always ask that it not be your parents.

A counsellor really isn't in the position to be telling you if you need or can have medication or not though. If you think medication may be helpful for you, go talk with your GP about it. They tend to avoid medication for young people cos it can have worse side effects and I believe possibly affect brain development in some way (don't quote me on that), but if you are in need then you can be prescribed them. There are more clear cut rules for doctors regarding confidentiality. You are 16 so you are classed as an adult. They cannot discuss your details or things you tell them with anybody (even family) without your permission. Again there's that serious risk rule, but they still have to tell you that they will be doing it and frankly things need to be pretty bad to worry them anyway.

Counselling can be really beneficial, but I would advise you have a chat with your GP too to see what other support you might be able to get.

I hope that helps.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.