Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am planning on studying Medicine after I graduate from school but before that I still have one more year at secondary school. Currently I am doing Higher Human Biology however for next year, there is no Advanced Higher Human Biology course that I can choose and there is only the Advanced Biology.

So my question is: Should I go ahead with the Advanced Biology and teach myself about the plants from Higher Biology or should I choose Advanced Maths because it is the only other subject (other than Biology and Chemistry) that I want to take an advanced higher in.

If I do choose Advanced Biology, how much about plants will I be missing out from? If you could please detail all the key areas, it would be appreciated!

I know this decision should be based on what I believe is best but I'm a very indecisive person in general.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Okay so this is something I was worried about as well but literally it's not about plants don't worry

I took Higher Human Biology and now I'm taking Advanced Higher Biology - if you're doing medicine TAKE ADVANCED HIGHER BIOLOGY honestly

Basically it's split into 2 main units - one is cells and cell structure all that kind of thing and there is the briefest paragraph you need to know about plants where you DON'T NEED ANY PRIOR KNOWLEDGE trust me

And then in the second unit is field techniques resproduction all that sort of stuff and i'm around halfway through - again, no plants and even if there was in the second half of the unit it's literally going to be a topic or smth but i don't think there is

It would be a huge mistake to not take Advanced Biology especially on the basis you don't know about plants when a) they don't come up b) you probably should take it if you're doing medicine and c) when both human and normal biology advance to the same course you shouldn't have to learn anything outside school

ReputationRep:
    I'll check my textbook later but I think you're fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nata5ha)
    Okay so this is something I was worried about as well but literally it's not about plants don't worry

I took Higher Human Biology and now I'm taking Advanced Higher Biology - if you're doing medicine TAKE ADVANCED HIGHER BIOLOGY honestly

Basically it's split into 2 main units - one is cells and cell structure all that kind of thing and there is the briefest paragraph you need to know about plants where you DON'T NEED ANY PRIOR KNOWLEDGE trust me

And then in the second unit is field techniques resproduction all that sort of stuff and i'm around halfway through - again, no plants and even if there was in the second half of the unit it's literally going to be a topic or smth but i don't think there is

It would be a huge mistake to not take Advanced Biology especially on the basis you don't know about plants when a) they don't come up b) you probably should take it if you're doing medicine and c) when both human and normal biology advance to the same course you shouldn't have to learn anything outside school
    Hello! Thank you for replying to my questions, it gave me a lot of reassurance. I have also asked a current medical student who took Advanced Biology and he also says that there isn't much about plants within the course so I believe I should do fine. The only problem now is that I can only take this subject at Caledonian University so I will have to constantly travel every day to get there and I will also be travelling to another school for Advanced Chemistry since my school doesn't provide it. However, nobody within my HHB class is taking Advanced Biology so I'm a bit worried about that too.

ReputationRep:
    ik what you mean the travelling is a nightmare but it'll be worth it in the end when you get to become a doctor
    im not even taking advanced chemistry this year omg and i got accepted to edinburgh
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    ik what you mean the travelling is a nightmare but it'll be worth it in the end when you get to become a doctor
    im not even taking advanced chemistry this year omg and i got accepted to edinburgh
    Congratulations! That's always a great thing to hear! How many universities did you apply to?

I am also planning to apply to Edinburgh but I'm hoping that Glasgow will accept me because I am an incredibly lazy person and would rather stay close to home without having to travel much.

ReputationRep:
    4 i got interviews at aberdeen dundee and glasgow but patched the aberdeen n dundee ones bc i cant afford to move there and ive heard back from edinburgh obviously but first choice is glasgow its amazing omg im just waiting to hear back

ReputationRep:
    4 i got interviews at aberdeen dundee and glasgow but patched the aberdeen n dundee ones bc i cant afford to move there and ive heard back from edinburgh obviously but first choice is glasgow its amazing omg im just waiting to hear back
    I'm planning to apply to Aberdeen as well but honestly even if I do get accepted there it's not a uni I'm planning to go for interviews because I really can't see myself living there since its so £££. Hopefully you hear back from Glasgow soon!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    You'll be able to do AH biology no problem after human biology.

Definitely take AH bio if you are able to do and want to study medicine. It's not a requirement for Scottish medical schools, but is strongly recommended.

ReputationRep:

I am currently doing higher human biology and am considering taking advanced higher biology next year too. What grade did you get in Higher human?

ReputationRep:
    an A

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.