Turn on thread page Beta

Why do school shootings in america make headlines here? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    This is reducing incredibly complex things to outrageous simplicities.

It's one thing to point out failures like those of the FBI in this case, or failures of licensing or availability in other cases. But to declare that you believe that mass shootings could be easily solved is wildly speculative.

The point about the bad countries is that no-one cares about how bad they are, and people like to look the other way. Not because the crimes aren't horrific, but because they like to attack "The West". It makes people feel good to rip on America or Britain, but they don't like the idea that there are problems in other countries that can't be blamed on "The West".
    it is not wildly speculative they can reduce mass shooting as many other countries have put actions in place to stop it and succeeded. The American government are refusing to even have a talk about it (as they think the problem of open is much more important).
    I wouldn't disagree completely with your point about us not being able to blame eastern disasters on the west. i feel as if you believe news these days is mainly run by liberal propaganda which client be further than the truth tbh. the mojarity of news networks are run by extremely conservative powers and report on news that people will want to hear. and yes as horrible as it seems people do care more about America that other 3rd world countries.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charliepow)
    it is not wildly speculative they can reduce mass shooting as many other countries have put actions in place to stop it and succeeded. The American government are refusing to even have a talk about it (as they think the problem of open is much more important).
    The situation isn't as in other countries, though. The US has phenomenon that aren't apparent in other countries - a far richer and more urbanised society, with many more firearms. There aren't any comparable nations that have had similar issues and solved them.

The US Government isn't "refusing" to talk about these issues. In the main, what we have are victims, opposition politicians and highly politicised celebrities screaming and shouting for "change" without actually specifying what change they want. Almost all the noise has been about "gun control" coupled with a lot of emotion. It's not clear what that means, if it would be effective, and from an outsider view (as in from Britain or Europe) we completely ignore the enormous constitutional implications. Changing the Constitution isn't a trifling matter, if that's what people want.

I'd add that one measure that might (and only might) have some impact would be an outright ban on all firearms. This is the point at which anti-gun people are the ones refusing to talk - the implications could be too terrible to contemplate - which is why they're not talking about it - they're just shouting a lot.

I wouldn't disagree completely with your point about us not being able to blame eastern disasters on the west. i feel as if you believe news these days is mainly run by liberal propaganda which client be further than the truth tbh. the mojarity of news networks are run by extremely conservative powers and report on news that people will want to hear. and yes as horrible as it seems people do care more about America that other 3rd world countries.
    The US media is incredibly liberally-biased. Given that the country is more or less 50/50 in Democrats/Republicans, there is only one "conservative" network - Fox, and only one "conservative" major newspaper - The WSJ, which doesn't concentrate overwhelmingly on social issues. Pretty much all other TV and print media has a strong liberal or Democratic bias - and an even stronger anti-Trump agenda. The coverage, opinion and editorial on Trump relative to Obama couldn't be more stark. I'm not a particular Trump fan, and some of his stuff is terrible. But look at how all of a sudden there has been a shooting, and the media narrative is all about dead children being the fault of Trump and Republicans.

Obama has his fair share of mass shootings, he had 8 years and a large House majority. He did nothing about gun control, which is apparently such a huge concern to Democrats and liberals all of a sudden. I don't recall CNN, NBC and pretty much every talk show host constantly moralising about Obama's inaction on guns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    The US media is incredibly liberally-biased. Given that the country is more or less 50/50 in Democrats/Republicans, there is only one "conservative" network - Fox, and only one "conservative" major newspaper - The WSJ, which doesn't concentrate overwhelmingly on social issues. Pretty much all other TV and print media has a strong liberal or Democratic bias - and an even stronger anti-Trump agenda. The coverage, opinion and editorial on Trump relative to Obama couldn't be more stark. I'm not a particular Trump fan, and some of his stuff is terrible. But look at how all of a sudden there has been a shooting, and the media narrative is all about dead children being the fault of Trump and Republicans.

Obama has his fair share of mass shootings, he had 8 years and a large House majority. He did nothing about gun control, which is apparently such a huge concern to Democrats and liberals all of a sudden. I don't recall CNN, NBC and pretty much every talk show host constantly moralising about Obama's inaction on guns.
    he did nothing about fun control? he tried to do lots about gun control yet was unable due to the democrats in his government. Obama nor Trump has overriding power they at just the face of the government.
    Anyway I see with both habe wildly separate ideas on the importance of these shootings and nothing we say is going to change the others mind so lets just end our conversation as I have other things to do today.
    thanks
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charliepow)
    he did nothing about fun control? he tried to do lots about gun control yet was unable due to the democrats in his government. Obama nor Trump has overriding power they at just the face of the government.
    Anyway I see with both habe wildly separate ideas on the importance of these shootings and nothing we say is going to change the others mind so lets just end our conversation as I have other things to do today.
    thanks
    If Obama was unable to do anything about gun control due to Democrats, why would Trump, or indeed anyone be able to do anything? What you're suggesting is that the situation has no possible solution.

ReputationRep:
    When big events happen like a mass shooting happen anywhere around the world, it becomes worldwide news because of how horrific the event was.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.