The Student Room Group

Can I make it to Grade 7 - 9?

I've been in Higher Tier maths for a few months now and starting today I have 3 months til the exams but I don't feel confident in it and so I got Key Stage 3 book and Foundation Tier books to study with my Higher Tier books.

I missed a few years from Year 8 - 11 (long story) so my knowledge has been stuck because of that which is why I'm going to through all the books again but is 3 months enough time to do this and get a good grade?

I've been studying ever since I started the course but as I got more into it I realised there were basics I didn't have and thus has created the problems I have now.
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
bump
Reply 3
Wait, sorry, I have an idea, but just to confirm, what year are you actually in now?
Reply 4
Original post by Mandy03
Wait, sorry, I have an idea, but just to confirm, what year are you actually in now?

24 years old, I'm at adult college.
Reply 5
Original post by anon43215
24 years old, I'm at adult college.

Right, I understand. My mum recently started relearning maths as well for career stuff.

I guess it would mostly depend how much time you can actually offer to studying what you have left to learn. I understand being an adult may mean you might not be able to conjure up the time that you might need to use for other things other than studying, but in my opinion, realistically looking at it, it's all up to that.

That and what kind of a mathematician you are. I know people who take forever to get maths, those who have to try extra hard but do nonetheless, those who take a few tries and those who get it after looking at just one example. You can probably tell which one you are.
Reply 6
Original post by Mandy03
Right, I understand. My mum recently started relearning maths as well for career stuff.

I guess it would mostly depend how much time you can actually offer to studying what you have left to learn. I understand being an adult may mean you might not be able to conjure up the time that you might need to use for other things other than studying, but in my opinion, realistically looking at it, it's all up to that.

That and what kind of a mathematician you are. I know people who take forever to get maths, those who have to try extra hard but do nonetheless, those who take a few tries and those who get it after looking at just one example. You can probably tell which one you are.

I'm not working at the moment so I have all the free time needed to focus on studying. It's mainly me trying to remember the equations and practising worded questions since those are the ones I struggle with most, what they are asking me to do.
Reply 7
I'm not working at the moment so I have all the free time needed to focus on studying. It's mainly me trying to remember the equations and practising worded questions since those are the ones I struggle with most, what they are asking me to do.

That's even better! That gives you more chance to be able to acquire the skills that you'd need by the end of the year.

I know me, a random stranger, telling you that doesn't really help you, but just to tell you, I wasted two years in sixth form not learning anything and even miserably failing all my mock exams and I ended up getting an A at the end of the year. This is whilst I was working part-time and taking three other A-level courses.

You should be able to pass it if you find it in yourself to get the help you need from your mentor, or just anyone who you know you can rely on when it comes to teaching these things. IMO, that was my biggest hurdle before, I was simply too shy to ask for help and let them see that there were basics that I just did not get, but as soon as I let that go, I managed to get a really good understanding of all that I needed to learn.

I'm not sure if what I'm talking about here helps though, so if not, I apologise, but this is all I got.
I've been in Higher Tier maths for a few months now and starting today I have 3 months til the exams but I don't feel confident in it and so I got Key Stage 3 book and Foundation Tier books to study with my Higher Tier books.

I missed a few years from Year 8 - 11 (long story) so my knowledge has been stuck because of that which is why I'm going to through all the books again but is 3 months enough time to do this and get a good grade?

I've been studying ever since I started the course but as I got more into it I realised there were basics I didn't have and thus has created the problems I have now.

Grade 9 is genuinely a challenge for Y11s. But again, achievable if you work hard. I think Grade 9 is harder to get than a C at AS IMO, so if you do manage to get that, might consider further study.

Just keep working and I'm sure you'll get at least a 7

corbett maths is a great website for GCSE maths and you should get the CGP GCSE Revision guides for maths too. I used these and got an A* back when it was letters. I believe my UMS would mean it would be an 8 now though.

Quick Reply