Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I’m currently looking at used cars on autotrader and I am not sure what to go for.

I don’t want to spend more than £3000 but ideally anything in between £2500-£3000.

Have been looking at polos but apparently they often have problems with them.

What have you guys got for your first car if you’re around my age?

ReputationRep:
    Get a fiesta most reliable mate
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13raston2)
    Get a fiesta most reliable mate
    What type of one the older style one or newer looking one? Can you send me a link / pic?

Do you have a fiesta?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Polos are fine. Around 70k they need the cambelt done. I had a 2002 one and after 25k miles (70k->95K) I had done on it was a new water pump and usual tyres, pads, wipers and bulbs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8472)
    Polos are fine. Around 70k they need the cambelt done. I had a 2002 one and after 25k miles (70k->95K) I had done on it was a new water pump and usual tyres, pads, wipers and bulbs.
    How much did it cost you to get the cambelt done?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerWhizzKid)
    I’m currently looking at used cars on autotrader and I am not sure what to go for.

I don’t want to spend more than £3000 but ideally anything in between £2500-£3000.

What about an alfa romeo or a mini?

ReputationRep:
    I have a seat Mii. Extremely reliable and so are the skoda citigo and volkswagen up, unsure if they will be in your price range. You should also look at toyota aygo, peugeot 107 and citreon c1 , they are really cheap to run and really reliable!
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    How much did it cost you to get the cambelt done?
    I didn't have it done as it had been done early on my car. It should cost about £200-£220 on the low end but depending on the dealer and what they do they often do the water pump at the same time and bump it to like £320. See a young man come in a looking a bit naive or unaware and you'll probably get slapped for another £20-£40 :lol: So say £380 maximum if you get it done on a bad day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WiSi)
    What about an alfa romeo or a mini?
    Mini parts are expensive and Alfa Romeos are prone to faulty rads.

Get an Ibiza, Fiesta, Polo or even a Mitsubishi Colt (but don't get a Mirage or a Vauxhall Corsa).

There's also a bunch of mini hatchbacks like the Up, Citigo, Aygo etc, but they aren't my cup of tea (if you have to choose, - then the Citigo). Also avoid anything French.

ReputationRep:
    You can get a good, reliable Hyundai Getz or Kia Picanto for about £1k (10 year, 70k miles). Tax for diesel is about £20, £115 for petrol, and insurance is generally not more than £1k. They are both really reliable, with the Getz being the 4th most reliable car in the UK and the Picanto being 13th. If you want a newer car, try the Hyundai i10. They may not look cool, but they are great value for money.

source: http://www.reliabilityindex.com/top-100

ReputationRep:

Whatever you do just remember to stick the car reg into an insurance comparison website before you fall in love with the car so you have a vague idea what it will be, obviously then shop around a lot more when actually getting insurance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nevershear)
    Mini parts are expensive and Alfa Romeos are prone to faulty rads.

Get an Ibiza, Fiesta, Polo or even a Mitsubishi Colt (but don't get a Mirage or a Vauxhall Corsa).

There's also a bunch of mini hatchbacks like the Up, Citigo, Aygo etc, but they aren't my cup of tea (if you have to choose, - then the Citigo). Also avoid anything French.
    If they are expensive there is a reason, they resist a lot.
    Mechanic workshop are full of French cars and Fiat cars.

Also Japanese cars are good, such as Suzuki Swift.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WiSi)
    If they are expensive there is a reason, they resist a lot.
    Which makes sense when you're buying a low mileage car, but when you're going 2nd hand you're playing russian roulette with your wallet. With his budget, it's almost definitely not going to be low mileage bought outright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nevershear)
    Which makes sense when you're buying a low mileage car, but when you're going 2nd hand you're playing russian roulette with your wallet. With his budget, it's almost definitely not going to be low mileage bought outright.
    If you have some time to spend on, you don't have to play russian roulette.
    You can understand if the person that sell you the car is honest, by just looking how the car looks after years of usage.

You can watch also how many kilometers that car have.

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think of this car for a 17 year old guy?

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think of this car for a 17 year old guy?
    Name:  2D99A061-6EFF-46B0-B054-BFFE2D95CE93.png
Views: 42
Size:  474.5 KB
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Id go for a nissan micra any day
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Autotrader Vauxhall Corsa 1.0
    I wouldn't go for the 1 litres, they're very under-powered. Go for a 1.2 at least, but make sure to do quotes before buying the car.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  2D99A061-6EFF-46B0-B054-BFFE2D95CE93.png
Views: 42
Size:  474.5 KB
    You have to tell us when that car was made and how many Km it haves.

ReputationRep:
    Fiat 500

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.