Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I already hold a degree and have applied for paramedic science. I am aware that usually people applying for a 2nd degree are not eligible to apply for student finance and that there is a list of allied health care courses which are exempt from this rule. Paramedic courses were previously not listed as an exemption to this rule because some were funded by ambulance trusts. Since no ambulance trust will be funding any paramedic course in the UK from 2018/19 and an announcement has been made to move towards BSc courses only, will paramedic science courses now be included in the list of allied health care courses exempt from the 2nd degree rule?

Thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by wirewolf92)
    I already hold a degree and have applied for paramedic science. I am aware that usually people applying for a 2nd degree are not eligible to apply for student finance and that there is a list of allied health care courses which are exempt from this rule. Paramedic courses were previously not listed as an exemption to this rule because some were funded by ambulance trusts. Since no ambulance trust will be funding any paramedic course in the UK from 2018/19 and an announcement has been made to move towards BSc courses only, will paramedic science courses now be included in the list of allied health care courses exempt from the 2nd degree rule?

Thanks
    Hi wirewolf92,

Each Ambulance Trust has discretion over the funding they award, we have had no update as yet to any changes to that.

I am checking with our senior assessors if they are aware of any changes to this, in the meanwhile we can only advise you on the current rules.

I will respond to your question once I have a response.

Regards Rona

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Rona, I look forward to your reply.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thanks Rona, I look forward to your reply.
    Hi wirewolf92,

Just to let you know that we have no information on this as yet, nothing in our guidelines.

We have passed your question to our Policy department and will advise once they respond.

Regards Rona
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Thanks
    Hi wirewolf92,

I have now had a reply from our Policy department.

Currently, a Paramedic Science course is only classed as an exception if the student is entitled to funding from the Ambulance Service Trust.

If you are not eligible for support from the Ambulance Service Trust you can apply to us for full support, but this will be subject to the Equivalent Level Qualification ELQ rules.

Unfortunately if you already hold an ELQ, you would not be eligible for support through Student Finance England.

Regards Rona

ReputationRep:
    If paramedic science is only not currently on the exemption list because of available ambulance Trust funding, and from this academic year, this will not exist, does this then mean that Paramedic science degree courses will be added to the list of exemptions? (seeing as it is an allied health professional course)

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.