The Student Room Group

Why aren't goths cool anymore?

What happened to the goth kids always being cool. In TV shows they'd always have some bully with a dark clothes and a skull on the shirt and chains or something. They weren't depressed they were made out to be cruel.

Two examples I can think of are Sid from toy story who abused toys and Duncan from total drama Island.

What made them cool in the past and what made them lose that coolness?
they were never cool. they have always been shown to be outsiders I think that is what mad then look cool in tv shows
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
What happened to the goth kids always being cool. In TV shows they'd always have some bully with a dark clothes and a skull on the shirt and chains or something. They weren't depressed they were made out to be cruel.

Two examples I can think of are Sid from toy story who abused toys and Duncan from total drama Island.

What made them cool in the past and what made them lose that coolness?

I don't think Sid from Toy Story is a Goth, but rather just a kid with a skull t shirt
Reply 3
OP, I don't think you understand what a goth is.
Original post by Charliepow
they were never cool. they have always been shown to be outsiders I think that is what mad then look cool in tv shows

So was it done wrong in the TV shows?
Original post by Pigster
OP, I don't think you understand what a goth is.

Okay but weren't they supposed to be represented as goths in the show?
Goths have never been cool to anybody other than goths. Goths were basically a response to the homogeny of the people percieved as the "normals" - of course, that response was to become an instantly recognisable and completely homogenised group themselves, always entertained me that. I have no idea what Total Drama Island is, but I never saw Sid as a goth in the slightest.

Groups like that are something you tend to grow out of pretty quickly I think.
So was it done wrong in the TV shows?

everything is wrongly represented in tv shows. people who are oucasts are often shown as mysterious but I'm reality they are just seen as strange. you can be a goth id you want I'm sure you can find a group of them but they aren't as sociatally involved as other groups. also don't join something because of what you've seen in a tv show. they are never as exciting as you may thinj
Reply 8
Okay but weren't they supposed to be represented as goths in the show?

Wearing a skull T-shirt does not make you a goth.

Just do a google image search for goth.

Do they look like Sid?
Goths were never cool, I dislike them so much its annoying lol
I remember roughly between 2006 and 2009, whenever my parents and I went to town on the weekends, we would always see these teen "goths" wearing scary black trench coats and brick shoes. They would stand outside my local HMV store all day doing nothing whatsoever. I guess Emo is more "trendier" and "popular" now, you do see some rappers and various artists wearing gothic wear and preaching about gothic topics I.e Lil Uzi Vert.
Haven’t seen any goths about in town in years they must have grown up. I think the goths were replaced by emo and and scene people. My town is full of hipsters and metrosexual folks. Also it seems like being gay is fashionable now and show that they are gay not just because ppl feeling more comfortable with but also to be celebrated for it
Reply 12
I know shitloads, and most of them are sound.

Quick Reply

Latest