Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I started doing my chemistry IA on the effect of temperature on buffering capacity. I added a pH 7 buffer to distilled water and titrated it with NaOH. I then measured the amount of NaOH taken to increase the pH of the water by a unit of 1. I tried this for temperatures between 5 and 80 degrees but there was no significant difference between the data obtained.*

This there any notable fault in my methodology?

I have to finish gathering data for my IA within one week. Since I was going to discuss the effect of temperature on the equilibria*of the buffer solution, I am in the process of finding another IA experiment in the same subject area.*

If you have any suitable ideas or any improvements for my previous method, please let me know.

Thank you*

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think T should affect buffering capacity?

ReputationRep:
    Because pKa is dependent on temperature because of its effect on equilibrium
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Using ethanoic acid, Ka = 1.74e-5:
    A 1 dm3 mix with 1 mol dm-3 A- : 1 mol dm-3 HA mixture has a pH of 4.76. If OH- is added until the pH is 5.76, the mixture will have a A- : HA ratio of 10 : 1

At a higher T Ka will be a higher value as the dissociation is endothermic. I just used 1.95e-5:
    A 1 dm3 mix with 1 mol dm-3 A- : 1 mol dm-3 HA mixture has a pH of 4.71. If OH- is added until the pH is 5.71, the mixture will have a A- : HA ratio of 10 : 1

I don't think the volume of OH- needed would be any different at different values of T. Maybe I'm missing something.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I'll give that a try.

I would think that the disassociation constant would be different for the buffer at different temperatures, changing its ability to keep the ph of a solution at a particular value. the change might be too small to be measured with the addition of a base.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NicknameTara)
    Thank you, I'll give that a try.

I would think that the disassociation constant would be different for the buffer at different temperatures, changing its ability to keep the ph of a solution at a particular value. the change might be too small to be measured with the addition of a base.
    Ka changes with T, but I don't see it affecting its ability to resist pH change.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 24, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.