The Student Room Group

Integration

How would you integrate (e^3x +4)/e^2x ?
split it into two fractions & integrate them separately.
You can simplify the term by cancelling the fraction to e^x + 4, as e^3x/e^2x = e^x. The rest of it can be solved by substitution.
Original post by Kallisto
You can simplify the term by cancelling the fraction to e^x + 4, as e^3x/e^2x = e^x. The rest of it can be solved by substitution.

I don't think you can do that. (e^3x + 4) / e^2x = e^x + 4e^-2x.
Original post by TheMindGarage
I don't think you can do that. (e^3x + 4) / e^2x = e^x + 4e^-2x.

I guess I have misunderstand the fraction term. So the power is e^3x + 4 and not e^3x as I thought?
Original post by CelaenSardothien
How would you integrate (e^3x +4)/e^2x ?

The answer on the book said (e^x)-(2e^-2x)+c but I not sure how you get to the final answer
Original post by Kallisto
I guess I have misunderstand the fraction term. So the power is e^3x + 4 and not e^3x as I thought?

(e^(3x) +4)/e^2x

It is e to the power of 3x + 4 divide by e to the power of 2x
The answer on the book said (e^x)-(2e^-2x)+c but I not sure how you get to the final answer

See what I did - split it into two powers of e. Then integrate each one separately. You'll have to either do the inverse chain rule by inspection or use substitution.
(e^(3x) +4)/e^2x

It is e to the power of 3x + 4 divide by e to the power of 2x

So the bold print is the power. I guess I got it now. As the bear said, you should make two fractions of the term first: e^(3x) + 4/e^2x = (e^3x/^e^2x) + (4/e^2x).

So we got what TheMindGarage simplified: e^x + 4e^-2x. Now you can integrate separetedly as the bear said as well. For 4e^-2x, you have to substitute. For substitution, you can the ignore the factor 4. You multiply the integrated term of e^-2x with 4 as last step.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest