Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I've been looking into the reviews of the halls available at Reading and have found mixed feelings..

I'm looking for a self- catered room with a decent sized living space. Does anyone know which rooms have the bigger beds?

Not bothered about having an en-suite or shared bathroom, but want to be in a laid back environment where security isn't cracking down on you every other day;P (Apparently Bridges is quite strict?!)

Want to be in a social area where things are happening but not too bothered about being in the prime location for going out in the campus bars and clubs.

I'll be studying Bio Sciences, not sure what block my lectures will be in, so are walks to and from excessively long or are halls relatively close and easy to get to?

If anyone could give me some advice on their personal experiences that would be amazing!!

Thanks!!x
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by exxadilexxa)
    So I've been looking into the reviews of the halls available at Reading and have found mixed feelings..

I'm looking for a self- catered room with a decent sized living space. Does anyone know which rooms have the bigger beds?

Not bothered about having an en-suite or shared bathroom, but want to be in a laid back environment where security isn't cracking down on you every other day;P (Apparently Bridges is quite strict?!)

Want to be in a social area where things are happening but not too bothered about being in the prime location for going out in the campus bars and clubs.

I'll be studying Bio Sciences, not sure what block my lectures will be in, so are walks to and from excessively long or are halls relatively close and easy to get to?

If anyone could give me some advice on their personal experiences that would be amazing!!

Thanks!!x
    Hi!
    Thanks for your question - accommodation can be quite confusing sometimes. Have you had a look at the accommodation website, the link is: https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-s...mmodation.aspx.

So, in terms of security it is the same in all halls. The security guards work 24/7 and always do rounds of the halls each morning/.evening as well as going out to houses when there have been noise complaints. So this won't differ where you live!

In terms of your lectures, they will be spread out across the campus in the central areas. You will have the big first year biology lectures in the Palmer Building on campus which is about 10 minutes from most halls. The biology building is very close to the Park Group halls, however, so this may be useful for practicals etc.

For self catered park group halls, then I would suggest Mackinder, Stenton or Childs hall as there are premium rooms and therefore you will have a bigger room and also slightly bigger kitchens and beds. Or Stenton townhouses as you have 3/4 beds in all of these options but the townhouses give you slightly bigger living spaces as it is the whole of the bottom floor. This is also the same with the Bridges townhouses and also the Bridges premium shared bathroom rooms (as you get a 3/4 bed and also quite a good living space). You've also got the option of St Georges in Park group too, which will be slightly cheaper as they are not premium rooms.

Lots goes on in all of the halls, you have a JCR for all halls who organise activities throughout the year. The good points about living in Park Group is that you are close to Park Bar which is where lots of the social activities go on!

For the 3/4 beds, look for the more modern halls such as Bridges, Mackinder, Stenton and Childs. Generally the premium rooms give you a 3/4 bed as apposed to a single!

Hope this helps and do get in touch with anymore questions!

Alice
    Food Science Placement Student

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.