Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I’ve applied for a chemistry degree at UCL(Offer AAA) next year and am studying chem, physics maths and f maths at a level.
    I’ve already got an A in maths AS and B in f maths AS but am wondering if further maths a level is even necessary for a Chemistry degree (S3/M2/FP2) - how useful is further maths in a chemistry degree or is it irrelevant ?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by meeravirdee)
    I’ve applied for a chemistry degree at UCL(Offer AAA) next year and am studying chem, physics maths and f maths at a level.
    I’ve already got an A in maths AS and B in f maths AS but am wondering if further maths a level is even necessary for a Chemistry degree (S3/M2/FP2) - how useful is further maths in a chemistry degree or is it irrelevant ?
    All the entrance requirements I have ever looked at do not require FM. They dont insist on Maths either.
    The power combination I think is Chemistry, Biology Maths.

Would it make it easier to get your grades if you dropped FM? is that what you are thinking of doing?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was thinking of focusing on chem/Physics/maths. But do you know how advanced the maths is in a chem degree? Bc if a lot of f maths concepts are covered in a chem degree it might still be important to do f maths?

ReputationRep:
    The thing that surprises most people about a chemistry degree is how much maths/physics there is. At Russell Group universities especially they place a lot of emphasis on the very fundamentals of chemistry, which involves things like Schrodinger's equation and quantum mechanics. Even if it's not required for a chemistry degree, it is very useful if you want to do it as much of the chemistry degree is based around advanced mathematical/physical concepts.

You won't need further maths, even for the most mathematically heavy courses - the maths that you need above A-level gets taught as part of your course.

The more advanced topics are not covered in further maths A-level, either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    You won't need further maths, even for the most mathematically heavy courses - the maths that you need above A-level gets taught as part of your course.

The more advanced topics are not covered in further maths A-level, either.
    Thank you!! I think I’ll drop f maths then and really work on getting A*s on my other subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meeravirdee)
    You'll find that the most common combination at reputable unis is chemistry, maths and physics - this is by far the most useful. FM is decent, but biology is pretty unnecessary. FM and beyond gets taught as part of the course

1. Chemistry
    2. Maths
    3. Physics
    4. Further Maths
    5. Biology

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.