Turn on thread page Beta

Should schools do more to promote LGBT equality? watch

ReputationRep:
    I follow both Stonewall and LGBT Youth Scotland on Twitter, and constantly get things in my Twitter feed about works that various works that different schools across Scotland have done for LGBT equality.
    Being gay, that makes me feel jealous, as my school has done next to nothing, and the one time they mentioned it at an assembly, it came across as ill-prepared and uneducated. I wasn't the only pupil who shared this opinion. We also had a senior teacher who used to run assemblies that left to join an anti-gay agency.

I really think ALL secondary schools across the UK ought to do more. We are in 2018 now, no longer the 1980's or 1990's and high school is often the worst time for LGBT people.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone at a school which does work towards LGBT equality?

It's sad that in 2018, there are still many schools where LGBT pupils (including myself) don't feel that there is enough support. Another reason to get rid of religious schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe2001)
    I follow both Stonewall and LGBT Youth Scotland on Twitter, and constantly get things in my Twitter feed about works that various works that different schools across Scotland have done for LGBT equality.
    Being gay, that makes me feel jealous, as my school has done next to nothing, and the one time they mentioned it at an assembly, it came across as ill-prepared and uneducated. I wasn't the only pupil who shared this opinion. We also had a senior teacher who used to run assemblies that left to join an anti-gay agency.

I really think ALL secondary schools across the UK ought to do more. We are in 2018 now, no longer the 1980's or 1990's and high school is often the worst time for LGBT people.
    Be pro-active and let your school know that there should be more dialogue about LGBT issues. Of my 7 children, two of them are gay and there was never any discussion at school about LGBT. We should be more open in 2018 about these and other issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    Be pro-active and let your school know that there should be more dialogue about LGBT issues. Of my 7 children, two of them are gay and there was never any discussion at school about LGBT. We should be more open in 2018 about these and other issues.
    Thanks! I completely agree with your point as it is 2018 and ought to be more accepted and discussed.

The school is quite unresponsive to criticism, so I am not really sure as to how I would let them know that I am unsatisfied with their work on LGBT issues. They did a 2 minute segment in an assembly and gave me no reassurance whatsoever, it was mostly praying for no more discrimination, and then it was never mentioned again. The teacher barely seemed to know what she was talking about, and wasn't LGBT anyway, so unqualified to talk about it, IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I completely agree with your point as it is 2018 and ought to be more accepted and discussed.

The school is quite unresponsive to criticism, so I am not really sure as to how I would let them know that I am unsatisfied with their work on LGBT issues. They did a 2 minute segment in an assembly and gave me no reassurance whatsoever, it was mostly praying for no more discrimination, and then it was never mentioned again. The teacher barely seemed to know what she was talking about, and wasn't LGBT anyway, so unqualified to talk about it, IMO.
    Don't give up on it. Ask if you can have a speaker in to talk about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    Don't give up on it. Ask if you can have a speaker in to talk about it.
    I mentioned it in a post-assembly survey, and will certainly be bringing it up if there is a future survey of any sort. They started a new PSHE program this year, so no doubt they want feedback. Honesty is the best policy. I wasn't the only pupil in my year who felt that way either.

Seeing on Twitter what other schools are doing for LGBT issues though, is making me really envious, as I don't feel supported at my school.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how I could actually get the school to do something either.
    It's not as if I can go to senior management and say "I'm gay, you're doing a really poor job regarding LGBT issues, please do much more."

Schools don't seem to value pupil opinion. It's so frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else have any more input?

The lack of LGBT friendliness at the school is another reason why I don't want to stay for next year. Unless things improve, I'll leave the school fairly bitter as I am going through a tough time and don't feel supported at all.

Hopefully if I get a leadership position next year, I can perhaps sway things a bit...

What are the types of things that you would like to see done at your school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    What are the types of things that you would like to see done at your school?
    Having people talk about it at assemblies, the school taking more action against homophobia (I have occasionally had it), ways of helping LGBT children and also any activities which show a promotion of LGBT equality.

Having people talk about it at assemblies, the school taking more action against homophobia (I have occasionally had it), ways of helping LGBT children and also any activities which show a promotion of LGBT equality.
    Like dedicated assemblies during LGBT week? I think this would be better done with a member of staff who is familiar with these things rather than have it delivered by tutors in PHSE or the like. Or even better external speakers.

What type of topics? Famous LGBT people? Persecution of LGBT in other countries where it is not tolerated and/or illegal? Coming out stories?

Every school has a duty to tackle homophobic bullying, and you should report it if you experience it.

ReputationRep:
    I think every school has a duty to tackle all bullying. Period.
    Also, why amd how should people talk about it? I don't see the reasoning. What exactly do people talk about?
    Additionally, what ways of helping LGBT children do you suggest, like, specifically.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    Like dedicated assemblies during LGBT week? I think this would be better done with a member of staff who is familiar with these things rather than have it delivered by tutors in PHSE or the like. Or even better external speakers.

What type of topics? Famous LGBT people? Persecution of LGBT in other countries where it is not tolerated and/or illegal? Coming out stories?

Every school has a duty to tackle homophobic bullying, and you should report it if you experience it.
    That's the way that they did it in that assembly, and it was bare-bones at the most. They spent most of the short segment praying, which doesn't help whatsoever. They ought to have got a speaker, or someone who was LGBT, or at the least, very educated on the issue.

They could talk about anything LGBT, but ultimately it has to be a comfortable environment for LGBT kids to thrive in. The lack of effort put into that assembly, and seeing what other schools have done, has really lowered my opinion of my school.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Definitely should. It's more of a question of how do we promote and let's keep going with it

ReputationRep:
    wasn't LGBT anyway, so unqualified to talk about it, IMO.
    You've got to be realistic about this. There may be no LGBT staff at your school who want to front something and you can't expect everyone to educate people from personal experience - your RS teacher will not follow all the religions she teaches you about. Our 6th form sex ed is taught by a teacher who happens to be gay - does that mean he can't teach straight people about sexual issues?

Obviously your sexual orientation is very important to you, but other people have identities they may feel are equally ignored by your school - they may be Mormon or deaf or Jewish or autistic or one of many other things - and you need to appreciate that it isn't all about just about championing your identity.

All that said, if you really think something needs doing than make some tactful, specific suggestions as to what you think is missing and what you think could be explored/done to improve things.

ReputationRep:
    We certainly don't need a week dedicated to these people, just teach equality full stop no need to single them out, worst case mention lgb people in a lesson or something but nothing extreme

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    You've got to be realistic about this. There may be no LGBT staff at your school who want to front something and you can't expect everyone to educate people from personal experience - your RS teacher will not follow all the religions she teaches you about. Our 6th form sex ed is taught by a teacher who happens to be gay - does that mean he can't teach straight people about sexual issues?

Obviously your sexual orientation is very important to you, but other people have identities they may feel are equally ignored by your school - they may be Mormon or deaf or Jewish or autistic or one of many other things - and you need to appreciate that it isn't all about just about championing your identity.

All that said, if you really think something needs doing than make some tactful, specific suggestions as to what you think is missing and what you think could be explored/done to improve things.
    The school is Catholic, so there probably isn't much pupils raised in other religions. There are a great deal of agnostic/atheist pupils whose parents are Catholic, but that's another issue altogether.

As for LGBT staff, there probably will be a couple and I do respect that it is their decision, BUT I do know that pupils often thrive if they know people who are like them. It's a role model type of thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    Definitely should. It's more of a question of how do we promote and let's keep going with it
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I might just make them aware of this once I have finished my exams, as I have struggled with my sexuality all of this year, and the more promotion and goodwill done, the better.

ReputationRep:
    The school is Catholic, so there probably isn't much pupils raised in other religions.
    You've rather missed the point. I was quoting examples of other things that could be just as significant to other people but you took it only in relation to your very personal circumstances, demonstrating the point very well that most people don't really care about other people's overriding interests. The majority of people are probably totally uninterested in your sexual orientation. You could be gay, transgender or pan sexual but they just don't care in the same way you quite rightly wouldn't care that I've been married for 20 years but had relationships with women in the past. Multiple assemblies and consciousness raising about LGBT rights is more likely to annoy people than anything else in the same way that having Roman Catholicism shoved down your neck obviously annoys you (as it would me).

None of that means that bullying should be tolerated in any form or that there shouldn't be support available for those who are struggling with issues but I would hope we've got past the point when we have to wheel out an LGBT person in an assembly just because they are an LGBT person. It reminds me of the rather pathetic assembly at my school by an engineer who amazingly was wearing a skirt and had breasts.

(Original post by Compost)
    I would hope we've got past the point when we have to wheel out an LGBT person in an assembly just because they are an LGBT person. It reminds me of the rather pathetic assembly at my school by an engineer who amazingly was wearing a skirt and had breasts.
    As a society as a whole, I would whole heartily agree. I (and I suspect you) are very bored of it by now.

However, in schools, you can't rely on a passive approach to teaching appropriate behaviour to young teenagers. A good number of those are very interested in singling out differences and exploiting them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2018
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.