Turn on thread page Beta

Should schools do more to promote LGBT equality? watch

ReputationRep:
    why does there need to be events/big spectacles about LGBT at school?

do they do this about straight people at schools?

where's the "equality?"

Just be thankful you're not being bullied for being gay. Back in my day there was no openly gay people in my school, but a couple who were suspected and were ridiculed somewhat, but they always denied it ... but looking on facebook now two of them are in gay relationships so i guess they felt the need to hide it when they were at school. Be thankful the environment today is not as hostile and you don't need to stay in the closet......
    Had you come out as being gay at my school i'm pretty sure you'd have got a lot more than one or two homophobia comments from the students there, you'd almost certainly have been bullied relentlessly...

ReputationRep:
    While schools are not primarily about sexual orientation , there has historically been such appauling stigmatising and intimidation of gay people there plus underlying promotion of heterosexual norms, of course equality should actively be on the agenda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    do they do this about straight people at schools?
    where's the "equality?"
    OK - the rest of your post was fair, but this angers me. Straight people don't face the same issues as gay people. We do see things about straight people, because we see it all around us. I've only had heteronormativity forced down my throat for my entire life.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the education system should pander to the 1.7%. Not that I mind you being gay, less competition is never a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    Did some more research and found that yesterday was Purple Friday: "a day for people across Scotland to show support for LGBTI people, and stand against homophobia, biphobia and transphobia in Scotland."

Quite a big event, so even more the reason to celebrate, right? Lots of schools actually did make the effort. Never even mentioned at my place. Poor show. I wish that they did this as I feel it is important. They are only interested in brainwashing Catholicism on us. Never been so pissed with them before.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.