The Student Room Group

'House of Horror' parents face up to 94 years in jail

So for those who have read or heard of what had happened, what are your thoughts on this? 13 kids had been tortured and starved by their own parents, youngest was 2 and the oldest was 29. When the parents had been in court, both showed no remorse or guilt.

For those who haven't heard or read the article, the link is below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42701311
Americans sure know how to hand out a prison sentence.
Reply 2
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Americans sure know how to hand out a prison sentence.

I read that the justification for this is to ensure dangerous criminals are not able to be released regardless of any future appeals, behavior etc. When you see someone getting a 100 year sentence its so even if it's reduced to half later on they are still unlikely to ever leave.
Reply 3
Good
Original post by Reue
I read that the justification for this is to ensure dangerous criminals are not able to be released regardless of any future appeals, behavior etc. When you see someone getting a 100 year sentence its so even if it's reduced to half later on they are still unlikely to ever leave.

hmm makes sense to be honest. Although I don't understand why they don't just give them life without parole.

I remember watching a documentary once where this guy in America was serving a 450 year sentence.
It scares me to think how many other things like this are going on everyday man, it's messed up.
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
It scares me to think how many other things like this are going on everyday man, it's messed up.

Especially when young kids are involved and are affected
Why have kids if you're going to treat them that way? What happens behind closed doors...
Reply 8
Original post by SCIENCE :D
hmm makes sense to be honest. Although I don't understand why they don't just give them life without parole.

I remember watching a documentary once where this guy in America was serving a 450 year sentence.

Ariel Castro was given life + 1000 years without parole.
Reply 9
Shambles
uh...I think they had kids because they wanted to treat them that way.
Original post by HighOnGoofballs
uh...I think they had kids because they wanted to treat them that way.

That's just... wrong on so many levels.
Definitely. Some really really ****ed up people in this world. It would be interesting to hear about their childhoods. Normally people like this have an equally if not even more ****ed up upbringing.
Original post by HighOnGoofballs
Definitely. Some really really ****ed up people in this world. It would be interesting to hear about their childhoods. Normally people like this have an equally if not even more ****ed up upbringing.

Yeah generally when the wiring goes wrong in the childhood, then doesn't get re-wired right, it stays wrong and ****ed up.

Quick Reply