Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is 48 too old to start a nursing degree in Sept 18?

ReputationRep:
    No, it isn't. One of my daughters did her nursing degree when she was a couple of years younger than you and she was a single parent with 2 teenage daughters.
    She is now senior Ward Sister on the Cardiac Ward at my local hospital.
    I will be 70 next month and in the final year of my degree in Criminology.
    At your age, you will have just as much,if not more, to contribute to any profession. Get in there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    No, it isn't. One of my daughters did her nursing degree when she was a couple of years younger than you and she was a single parent with 2 teenage daughters.
    She is now senior Ward Sister on the Cardiac Ward at my local hospital.
    I will be 70 next month and in the final year of my degree in Criminology.
    At your age, you will have just as much,if not more, to contribute to any profession. Get in there!
    Thanks for the information. Do you know if she was the only forty something on her course? Also, which are the placements hospitals?

ReputationRep:
    She was at the University of Hertfordshire and did placements at Stoke Mandeville and I think the John Radcliffe but I can't be sure. I'll ask her when I see her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Water apple)
    Thanks for the information. Do you know if she was the only forty something on her course? Also, which are the placements hospitals?
    I remember her saying there were two or three around her age and they would share lifts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    I remember her saying there were two or three around her age and they would share lifts.
    Thanks for your great responses. I am hoping I'm not the only forty something. Good luck with your final year.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Water apple)
    Is 48 too old to start a nursing degree in Sept 18?
    No, not at all

We have lots of mature students at Teesside, particularly on health courses. As other people have mentioned, just don't let it feel like a barrier, it can actually be a great advantage. People start uni at lots of different ages and life stages - everyone has something different to bring (and starting at 48 you'll find you have lots of work and life experiences which will really enhance your learning).

Have a flick through some of our health course pages at our student profiles for examples of how students of all different ages have enjoyed their courses (Katie's is a great one).

Good luck with everything.

University open days

1. Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 13 Oct '18
  2. Teesside University
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  3. Teesside University
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.