Turn on thread page Beta

Tory MP apologises to Corbyn (and pays his legal costs) watch

ReputationRep:
    Ben Bradley, the Tory MP, who accused Corbyn of committing a serious criminal offence, (of selling state secrets to spies) has made the following statement after being threatened with legal action:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “On 19 February 2018 I made a seriously defamatory statement on my Twitter account, ‘Ben Bradley MP (@bbradleymp)’, about Jeremy Corbyn, alleging he sold British secrets to communist spies. I have since deleted the defamatory tweet. I have agreed to pay an undisclosed substantial sum of money to a charity of his choice, and I will also pay his legal costs.

“I fully accept that my statement was wholly untrue and false. I accept that I caused distress and upset to Jeremy Corbyn by my untrue and false allegations, suggesting he had betrayed his country by collaborating with foreign spies.

“I am very sorry for publishing this untrue and false statement and I have no hesitation in offering my unreserved and unconditional apology to Jeremy Corbyn for the distress I have caused him.”

https://labour.org.uk/press/senior-t...jeremy-corbyn/
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Excellent news.

ReputationRep:
    Respect on the apology, it's rare to such a truthful one.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighOnGoofballs)
    Respect on the apology, it's rare to such a truthful one.
    It was because he was being sued.

ReputationRep:
    The behaviour of the people pushing this nonsense story about Corbyn has been absolutely disgusting, and it's "stories" like this in the right wing media that makes me really like Corbyn and want him to do well even though I disagree with him on a few things.

Great to see that this horrible style of politics has finally seen consequences for someone, though it would be nice to have consequences higher up for the media outlets responsible rather than just an MP who made a comment on twitter. Baby steps I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    I respect the fact that the guy apologized even if it was only to avoid being sued. however I find it sad that the torys have gotten to the point where they are now willing to create ridicoulous accusations simply in an attempt to once again try and slander Corbyn. I have also noticed that this seems to have been occuring more and more since Corbyns suprise success and the torys unpredictable failur in the last election leading me to believe that the torys are beginning to feel more and more threatened by Corbyns posotive public opinion particulaly in the north and among young voters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    The behaviour of the people pushing this nonsense story about Corbyn has been absolutely disgusting, and it's "stories" like this in the right wing media that makes me really like Corbyn and want him to do well even though I disagree with him on a few things.

Great to see that this horrible style of politics has finally seen consequences for someone, though it would be nice to have consequences higher up for the media outlets responsible rather than just an MP who made a comment on twitter. Baby steps I suppose.
    If only people liked politicians for their policies, instead of feeling sorry for them. Oh well, I guess your voting for Corbyn won't have policy implications for the country as a whole. He can just be that benign old bloke with a white beard who sits in #10 and doesn't do anything but open new schools.

Oh wait, no he would have to actually run the country and do stuff! Are you sure you still wanna vote with him, even though you disagree with him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    If only people liked politicians for their policies, instead of feeling sorry for them. Oh well, I guess your voting for Corbyn won't have policy implications for the country as a whole. He can just be that benign old bloke with a white beard who sits in #10 and doesn't do anything but open new schools.

Oh wait, no he would have to actually run the country and do stuff! Are you sure you still wanna vote with him, even though you disagree with him?
    I do like some of his policies. I'd like the police, NHS and other services to be better funded and not run into the ground, and I trust him and Labour more with things like welfare, environment issues and workers rights. And I like an anti establishment outsider.

But I find his pacifism goes too far and is a bit worrying. Things like when he opposed the air campaign against ISIS, that's something I could never agree with.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.