Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone😊i guess there are plenty of us in the same situation or similar so any advice is greatly received... i am a single parent with two dependents age 12 and 6. Desperately wanting to start a degree but with no idea about times, hours, schedules etc, how can i plan in advance? I do not have a great support network for childcare so i really need to know. I thought lectures and things would be over by 5pm but iv been told by plenty of people that the timetables change weekly and some sessions dont finish til 6pm and some evening sessions. Any ideas please? Im wanting to do BMedSci Health and Human Sciences at Sheffield with a foundation year.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Claire 77)
    Hi everyone😊i guess there are plenty of us in the same situation or similar so any advice is greatly received... i am a single parent with two dependents age 12 and 6. Desperately wanting to start a degree but with no idea about times, hours, schedules etc, how can i plan in advance? I do not have a great support network for childcare so i really need to know. I thought lectures and things would be over by 5pm but iv been told by plenty of people that the timetables change weekly and some sessions dont finish til 6pm and some evening sessions. Any ideas please? Im wanting to do BMedSci Health and Human Sciences at Sheffield with a foundation year.
    Looks like the university has its own childcare with decent hours for it https://su.sheffield.ac.uk/advice-su...rvices/nursery

ReputationRep:
    im in a similar situation.
    My kids are 3 and 11. I do have my parents support but they are disabled so I don't like to ask and my partner works full time. my eldest is autistic so childcare outside of my parents and partner (kids dad)is a no no so I can't go to uni, so I'm doing the open university. I've no other option. thankfully my youngest will be in school full time by the time my workload increases.

good luck with your studies

ReputationRep:
    Ahh thanks...unfortunately the childcare they provide isnt for me, my little girl is 6 and goes to school. I was considering Open University too. I will be able to put my daughter in after school club but it finishes at 5:45pm and depending upon last lecture etc and travelling home, just dont know if i can manage it. Some people have told me to just miss lectures i cant do. Its not something i want to risk. Mustn’t give up though😬thanks and good luck with your studies too.

ReputationRep:
    😊 thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claire 77)
    I would contact the course leaders ask them what the course is going to look like with workload etc, what flexibility there is and explain you have children. On the whole, on my course, I had understanding tutors, who would let me leave early as my childcare finishes at 6 pm. However, some tutors will not accept the fact you have kids as an excuse for not turning into a class or asking for a deadline to be extended. As for childcare ask at your daughter's school or other parents. In some schools, there are local after school clubs for older children. And, other parents are more likely to know where you can find child care.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.