Turn on thread page Beta

I've been abroad taking part in a volunteering scheme since January and will come back in late march. I'm with 8 other British young people (18-26) and 9 native people. Problem is, I havent really managed to strike up a close friendship with anyone as I'm a fairly quiet and anxious person also I don't drink alcohol. I try to talk to people but I'm often either ignored, get drowned out by loud people or I get a snide, sarcastic comment in response. And yet people tell me that I need to open up more and that they want to include me. A lot of people view me as annoying but I'm just being myself. Someone literally said that if I drink alcohol, then people will get to know me which also makes no sense. If you want to get to know me, ask me things maybe.

We have a team leader who, luckily, is lovely.

Its kind of getting to me as I thought I was past the hideous stage of finding it hard to make friends. I'm 19 now. My self esteem is starting to suffer. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Just try and hang in there. It's only 1 month left. If they do some social stuff try and join them and just talk with people so they get to know you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.