Turn on thread page Beta

Is this sustainable / typical? ( of A* students ) watch

ReputationRep:
    Burning myself out?:

Since moving sixth form ( grammar to private on scholarships etc. ) I have struggled to fit in however I have found it useful to concentrate on my work in order to get predicted 3/4 A*s and aspire for Oxford. Each day I spend about 2 hours on homework and 3-5 hours making notes ( I do 4 essay subjects so I never have to revise for tests ). At the end of terms I get incredibly burnt out but my holidays are very long and I spend 5-6 hours each day working again.
    Is this sustainable? I achieved 8A*s and 4As ( and a B but I didn't revise for french lol ) at GCSE starting revision in March but pulling 10 hour days. I'm concerned by year 13 I will be a workaholic and that I'll divebomb my June exams this year because I have exhausted myself. On top of this I run an online business, volunteer, go to the gym for an hour most days, saturday school and still need to gain Grade 8 piano alongside my pre existing distinction in violin ( to which I actively take part in school activities ).

Basically is it a grim and bare it situation - I need this reassurance that I'm not being counterproductive. Any successful revision approaches are appreciated.

Note: Work hard play hard is my absolute motto and I really enjoy spending time with my friends so please no one slate my work life balace

ReputationRep:
    2 hours on homework
    3-5 hours on notes (5-6 at holidays)
    1 hour at gym + time to get there and back.
    at most you are doing 9 hours of work and gym a day normally, compared to 10 hours during the holiday.

If you get an average of 6/8 hours of sleep then you have about 9 hours or 7 hours left in the day.
    That does not include normal things like eating, brushing, showering, online business, volunteering and working on the piano and violin.

You are clearly doing quite a lot. I recommend doing less but doing it more efficiently. Find a way to work that you like and that you think helps you more.
    I recommend doing lots of past papers if you have learned the core stuff.

- I did little to none of the GCSE revision. I got nothing below a B grade for any of my GCSEs and this is all thanks to how I worked in class and homework. It will depend on you to find your way of working.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ninjaliv)
    Each day I spend about 2 hours on homework and 3-5 hours making notes ( I do 4 essay subjects so I never have to revise for tests ). At the end of terms I get incredibly burnt out but my holidays are very long and I spend 5-6 hours each day working again.
    Couple of red flags here:

3-5 hours a day making notes? At A Level? If I spent 3-5 hours a day making notes I'd have my entire degree summarised in a week or two. This sounds like an exceptionally long amount of time to spend making notes.

"I do 4 essay subjects so I never have to revise for tests": Essay subjects don't mean you don't have to revise for tests, don't fall into the trap of not doing exam practice.

5-6 hours per day spent working over holidays: I wouldn't say that's unreasonable, although every day sounds a bit much. The average A Level is 5 contact hours per week iirc, you are trying to cram a weeks worth of content into a day. That sounds both excessive and unnecessary when you consider how much superfluous fluff is in your classes.

Is it typical? I can't say, it's probably typical of some and not of others. I can't say I ever put that much time into my A Levels and I don't even really spend that much time on my degree. I'm still hitting top marks but that's useless information. What I do is irrelevant to what anyone else should do.

Sustainable? I'd say no. You've already mentioned that you feel burnt out. That should be a pretty good clue that what you are doing is not sustainable and won't work for you.

A lot of people fall into this trap. They think hours put in directly equates to the outcome. Sometimes they are correct but there's more than one way to skin a cat. Rather than throwing hours at your problem, consider doing better revision, or generally using your hours better. You feel burnt out which suggests something isn't working for you. Consider looking into ways to work smarter rather, than harder and longer. That said, don't expect to find shortcuts or "life hacks".

ReputationRep:
    How many hours of sleep do you get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninjaliv)
    Burning myself out?:

Since moving sixth form ( grammar to private on scholarships etc. ) I have struggled to fit in however I have found it useful to concentrate on my work in order to get predicted 3/4 A*s and aspire for Oxford. Each day I spend about 2 hours on homework and 3-5 hours making notes ( I do 4 essay subjects so I never have to revise for tests ). At the end of terms I get incredibly burnt out but my holidays are very long and I spend 5-6 hours each day working again.
    Is this sustainable? I achieved 8A*s and 4As ( and a B but I didn't revise for french lol ) at GCSE starting revision in March but pulling 10 hour days. I'm concerned by year 13 I will be a workaholic and that I'll divebomb my June exams this year because I have exhausted myself. On top of this I run an online business, volunteer, go to the gym for an hour most days, saturday school and still need to gain Grade 8 piano alongside my pre existing distinction in violin ( to which I actively take part in school activities ).

Basically is it a grim and bare it situation - I need this reassurance that I'm not being counterproductive. Any successful revision approaches are appreciated.

Note: Work hard play hard is my absolute motto and I really enjoy spending time with my friends so please no one slate my work life balace
    Thats such a sad way of living your life. Ease it a little. When you grow up is this the childhood you’ll want to remember?
    An A* student plays smart not hard. More hours doesn’t mean you’ll be any better.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.