Turn on thread page Beta

Do you find it better being over 18? watch

ReputationRep:
    It goes all downhill from there

ReputationRep:
    The change from 17 to 18 makes **** all immediate difference apart from the fact that you can legally drink and smoke. A lotta people drink before 18 anyway tho so meh.

Things start to get a bit different once you actually leave home for once, either for uni or just being able to afford your own place.

ReputationRep:
    Age is just a number there are mature 18 year olds and silly 30 year olds. Who you are depends on your situation in life and what you’ve been through determines your maturity
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Thanks everyone again, I’m glad to know that some people kinda of enjoy it! I know it’s different for everyone but hopefully it will go okay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks everyone again, I’m glad to know that some people kinda of enjoy it! I know it’s different for everyone but hopefully it will go okay
    All you should worry about right now is achieving goals you’ve set yourself. The rest falls right into place

ReputationRep:
    Nope, Still can't go out on my own.

ReputationRep:
    It really isnt as deep as it sounds. I'm 18 and it's just normal like i know you are allowed to drink and whatever but i mean if you choose to drink and do all the other stuff that 18 year olds would do then i guess it would be a bit different or else its just normal life lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Realitysreflexx)
    no its not scary at all, but it also doesnt instantly make you an adult. Just dont commit a crime... other then that until 25...or so your a kid, hell im 27 and most people adress me as youngster lol.
    because you hang around with old people. you're not young at all.

ReputationRep:
    Since turning 18 i have a bit more freedom (from parents), got a job, started uni amongst other things. Being 18 isnt really that bad, it depends entirely on what you do tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nonotyoutoo)
    because you hang around with old people. you're not young at all.
    maybe not to you if your like 12

but by all means im young m8 lol...

young adults are age group 24-35 according to the government..

further humans tend to live till 80 and middle age begins at 35 thats a good 8 years from now.

so yeahh im young, if i was a footballer i would be in my prime right now or basically any other kind of athlete.

Cristiano ronaldo is 33 and lionel messi 29 would u consider them old?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Realitysreflexx)
    maybe not to you if your like 12

but by all means im young m8 lol...

young adults are age group 24-35 according to the government..

further humans tend to live till 80 and middle age begins at 35 thats a good 8 years from now.

so yeahh im young, if i was a footballer i would be in my prime right now or basically any other kind of athlete.

Cristiano ronaldo is 33 and lionel messi 29 would u consider them old?
    The day you turn 25 is the day you are no longer young. Fact.

ReputationRep:
    ......speechless..... that means i've been old for two years now?

lets take a 20 year old and 22 yr old...

your slow lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gigi77774)
    Do you plan to move back in after uni?
    It's been quite a few years since I left Uni now, and I've not been back for more than a few days at a time. I set up a work-from-home business, moved to a random city and just, sort of, started my life. I love my parents (my Dad is literally one of my best friends) but I don't feel the need to be there every couple of weeks or something.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure you know what a 'fact' is, buddy. If middle-aged is your 40s, then any time in your 20s and even early 30s is still relatively young.

ReputationRep:
    Other than actually moving out from under my parents roof when I moved to uni my life didn't change much. When I was under 18 I still had a job, paid for my own things, went places on my own, was responsible for whether or not I chose to show up at school (these were the days before they fined parents for kids missing school so in my mid teens my parents were like 'it's your life, your choices') and did cooking, cleaning, washing etc. Other than physically paying the bills myself now and not having a family to come home to at the end of each day I don't think that much has changed due to great amount of flexibility and freedom my parents allowed me when I was younger.

Change usually happens gradually, things that might seem a bit scary now will become part of life in a few years. There's no hurry, take it at your own pace. Some people grow up very fast and some people still don't feel ready when they're approaching 30! There's no right and wrong, no one way to do things. And you will look back on 18 and think how young you were and how you wish you were still as young an carefree as when you were 18!

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking forward to turning 18, no more pressure to be hip and trendy in high school, I can buy GTA san andreas....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlayWithMarkers)
    Not sure you know what a 'fact' is, buddy. If middle-aged is your 40s, then any time in your 20s and even early 30s is still relatively young.
    Middle age starts at 25. Old age starts at 50

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    Honestly most people aren't really an adult until they're about 21 or so, you don't turn 18 and magically gain maturity and independence overnight. Most 18 year old's still live with their parents, don't own their own house, don't have to pay bills or provide a food shop for the whole family every week and don't have to look after anyone but themselves. Becoming an adult comes with time and experience.
    21 isn't even adult. It's at least 25 until the change in people's personalities over time drops significantly.

Anything before then can be chalked down to immaturity and inexperience, but after that people tend to stay roughly the same.

There are 50 year olds who are kids. When you're a kid, you think adults are these omniscient God who can do and know everything. When you're an adult, you realise adults are just taller kids. Like you say, there's no magical change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    21 isn't even adult. It's at least 25 until the change in people's personalities over time drops significantly.

Anything before then can be chalked down to immaturity and inexperience, but after that people tend to stay roughly the same.

There are 50 year olds who are kids. When you're a kid, you think adults are these omniscient God who can do and know everything. When you're an adult, you realise adults are just taller kids. Like you say, there's no magical change.
    That's true. I'm 25 in a few months and I can say I have changed since I was 21, albeit not as drastically as from when I was a teenager. I do think it depends on what the person has experienced in their life, though, I've gone through a fair amount so have matured at least a bit little bit quicker than my peers.

ReputationRep:
    Well I actually like being over the age of 18 more better than being a minor under 18 as it is because you have more freedom as an adult and also more rights but it is a shame there are some things we still cannot do even if you are 18 like adopt a child, drive a bus and supervise a learner driver.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.