Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'm buying a new PC soon but with the GTX 20xx series cards coming out shortly I've decided to hold off on getting the 1080ti in favour of a 2080 card but do you think the 2070 or 2080 will be better than the 1080ti?

ReputationRep:
    Probably will run at a cooler temperature and have higher GFlops. Just get a 1080ti its price has dropped. It depends as well, what games are you playing and what resolution? Do you want 60 fps or 144fps etc
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by HateOCR)
    Probably will run at a cooler temperature and have higher GFlops. Just get a 1080ti its price has dropped. It depends as well, what games are you playing and what resolution? Do you want 60 fps or 144fps etc
    Well the 1080ti is still pretty expensive and when the 2080's come out I kinda want to get the latest and greatest

60 fps would be the minimum I'd want my games to run at because I do like running games in high graphics. I was thinking of getting a 4k monitor but I'm not sure if it's worth the money? I think a 1080p monitor at 144hz would be a better experience than a 4k monitor at 60hz. A 4k 144hz monitor is stupidly expensive.

ReputationRep:
    I have a 1080 currently with 1440p165 monitor + another 1080p60 one and I constantly get very high FPS, personally I wouldn't bother with a GTX 2000 series card or a 1080 Ti. Also, 1440p165 monitors are top tier and probably better than 4k60 imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
    Well the 1080ti is still pretty expensive and when the 2080's come out I kinda want to get the latest and greatest

60 fps would be the minimum I'd want my games to run at because I do like running games in high graphics. I was thinking of getting a 4k monitor but I'm not sure if it's worth the money? I think a 1080p monitor at 144hz would be a better experience than a 4k monitor at 60hz. A 4k 144hz monitor is stupidly expensive.
    1080p 144hz will run like a breeze on a 1080ti. I got a gtx 970 still runs most games on ultra 55-60 fps. Have Nvidia released the prices for the 20 series?
    Whats your budget for your gpu???
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by HateOCR)
    1080p 144hz will run like a breeze on a 1080ti. I got a gtx 970 still runs most games on ultra 55-60 fps. Have Nvidia released the prices for the 20 series?
    Whats your budget for your gpu???
    My budget for a GPU is £800 - £1000, my budget for the entire system is £3,000 including monitor.

Nah they've not released the prices yet or even announced the release date but it's expected within the next month or so.

(Original post by Edgemaster)
    I have a 1080 currently with 1440p165 monitor + another 1080p60 one and I constantly get very high FPS, personally I wouldn't bother with a GTX 2000 series card or a 1080 Ti. Also, 1440p165 monitors are top tier and probably better than 4k60 imo.
    Aight thanks for the advice, I'll check out those monitors instead.

ReputationRep:
    Aight thanks for the advice, I'll check out those monitors instead.
    Wait for the price release. Woah your GPUs gonna cost almost as much as my entire rig 😂

ReputationRep:
    I hope that some cards drop in price when the new ones are open to the public.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    I can only hope for your sake miners don't steal them all :lol:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by 8472)
    I can only hope for your sake miners don't steal them all :lol:
    I'll get one before those damn miners do

ReputationRep:
    I'm buying a new PC soon but with the GTX 20xx series cards coming out shortly I've decided to hold off on getting the 1080ti in favour of a 2080 card but do you think the 2070 or 2080 will be better than the 1080ti?
    The top tier models in the next generation of GPUs are presumably going to be built on the brand new Volta architecture we saw in the Titan V, which will most likely mean a worthwhile jump in performance. I would definitely hold off on buying until the announcement to see what kind of figures we're looking at. Even if the jump for real world usage isn't significant, at least by waiting you'll hopefully save a few bucks ion a 1080/1080ti instead :yy:
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    I'll get one before those damn miners do
    The best part of the miners is my current 1070 sells for more second secondhand now than I bought it for new before it went full crazy level stock/prices. My card is now £175 more expensive than back in Oct 2016 :rofl2:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    How soon are they coming out?
    How much will they cost?
    OMG I haven't saved up enough money they will all be out of stock by the release date miners buying 6 of them before I have enough money.
    Hope the 2060 is gonna be 250 - 300! That's all I have got right now for a GPU.
    I can't settle for a 2050ti that will be a downgrade from my rx 580.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Ofc it will be better and more efficient they always are.
    How much is a 2080 going to cost and isnt that really a lot of money just for a graphics card?

You need a serious collapse in cryptocurrencies.

ReputationRep:
    will be a couple months before a 2080 is out, the 2070 and 2080 will be alot better than a 1080 ti, think of it as comparing a 1080 to a 980 ti - 1080 wins any day in price and perfomance
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Ofc it will be better and more efficient they always are.
    How much is a 2080 going to cost and isnt that really a lot of money just for a graphics card?

You need a serious collapse in cryptocurrencies.
    Yes it's a lot of money but it's the latest top tier graphics card so if I get pre-order one and get it the day it's released then I'll get one before the prices spike. Anyway there is talk that nvidia might be making a separate graphics card specially designed for mining to stop this massive supply issue they're having with regular cards.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As others have said, it's common sense not to buy anything until we have announcements. We don't really have enough info to say whether the current lineup will be good value when the next series comes out. My last upgrade was to a 980Ti, upgrading to a 1080 would have been a total waste for me and even the 1080Ti isn't going to offer a huge performance boost without me making other upgrades. Of course if you have the budget to go in at the top end then you can, since it means you don't need to upgrade as soon. But equally if a 1080Ti will do what you want (and odds are it will) then you could argue that it's better to go for a 1080Ti now when they drop in price and save your money for a big upgrade (e.g. a 2080Ti) later on.

At the end of the day, if the 1080Ti (or even a lower card) fulfills your goals now and for the foreseeable future then simply spending the money because you have it seems dumb. It makes more sense to spend on upgrades that actually matter, when they matter. If a 1080Ti meets your requirements then spending more makes little sense. So wait for actual numbers to drop on pricing and performance then consider if a 20 series card is something you actually need. Plenty of people with 9 series cards still get perfectly good performance but of course it all depends what you want out of your rig.

As a side note, has there been anything conclusive to say it'll be a 20 series and not an 11 series?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Acsel)
    As others have said, it's common sense not to buy anything until we have announcements. We don't really have enough info to say whether the current lineup will be good value when the next series comes out. My last upgrade was to a 980Ti, upgrading to a 1080 would have been a total waste for me and even the 1080Ti isn't going to offer a huge performance boost without me making other upgrades. Of course if you have the budget to go in at the top end then you can, since it means you don't need to upgrade as soon. But equally if a 1080Ti will do what you want (and odds are it will) then you could argue that it's better to go for a 1080Ti now when they drop in price and save your money for a big upgrade (e.g. a 2080Ti) later on.

At the end of the day, if the 1080Ti (or even a lower card) fulfills your goals now and for the foreseeable future then simply spending the money because you have it seems dumb. It makes more sense to spend on upgrades that actually matter, when they matter. If a 1080Ti meets your requirements then spending more makes little sense. So wait for actual numbers to drop on pricing and performance then consider if a 20 series card is something you actually need. Plenty of people with 9 series cards still get perfectly good performance but of course it all depends what you want out of your rig.

As a side note, has there been anything conclusive to say it'll be a 20 series and not an 11 series?
    No there hasn't been anything conclusive, I'm just going on the speculation of what tech channels are saying. I'm not going to buy anything before I actually know if it's worth it or not but currently I'm running on a 770GTX which is starting to show performance issues when running new games. At least with a 1080ti or a newer card it will handle the next 5 generations of games on max settings most likely.

I don't just want to run a game... I want to run them at max settings at a bare minimum of 60fps and maybe in 2k / 4k, I've not decided yet. I'd rather spend the money on one killer card that will ace every game thrown at it for the next 5 years over buying a card which is £200 cheaper and having it struggle with certain games down the line ya know?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No there hasn't been anything conclusive, I'm just going on the speculation of what tech channels are saying. I'm not going to buy anything before I actually know if it's worth it or not but currently I'm running on a 770GTX which is starting to show performance issues when running new games. At least with a 1080ti or a newer card it will handle the next 5 generations of games on max settings most likely.

I don't just want to run a game... I want to run them at max settings at a bare minimum of 60fps and maybe in 2k / 4k, I've not decided yet. I'd rather spend the money on one killer card that will ace every game thrown at it for the next 5 years over buying a card which is £200 cheaper and having it struggle with certain games down the line ya know?
    That's fair, I saw you mention 1080p further up but if you're considering 4K then it makes perfect sense to just go for the top end card you can get. Only time will tell whether the top end 20 series cards actually offer a better price to performance ratio of course but regardless of whether you ended up with a 1080Ti or a 2080 you won't be disapointed and will see a huge performance boost compared to your current 770.

As I'm sure you're aware though, I wouldn't expect even a top of the line card to last 5 years and maintain top end performance. A 3 or 4 year upgrade cycle is probably more realistic if you want to maintain top of the line performance. My 980Ti is a mixed bag for running modern games and that's only 3 years old, without even trying to go 4K or 144Hz. In the long run it may end up more beneficial to buy something like a regular 1080 when they go cheaper and look to upgrade to a 2080Ti in the future.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 24, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.