Turn on thread page Beta

All things related to gym blog. watch

ReputationRep:
    Started gym on 12th. Went on 14th and 23rd. I have been contemplating about going gym for a year. I am very shy!

Did 7 reps of 10kg on chest press machine & 30 mins stationary bike cardio. Not good!!!!

I have really skinny arms and am weak lol. What was everyone else's starting weight?

I have no clue how to organise my gym time and what exercises to do.

Seeing no changes this weekend. But my pecs felt very sore for a few days.

Weight: 76kg Goal: 70kg with toned body. Currently very skinny fat.
    Height: 180cm

ReputationRep:
    Do you already know how to find the right weight for you? Normally it is like do 12 reps of a single weight. If you are not out of breath and breathing heavily then it is too light. If you can't complete the 12 reps with proper form then it is too heavy. I remember seeing this somewhere. I don't know if it is correct but this is what I would use to find out.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get out of breath but I just can't physically lift anything higher than 15kg consistently .

I might try alternating 20kg and 15kg tomorrow.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by davidddddddd2)
    Started gym on 12th. Went on 14th and 23rd. I have been contemplating about going gym for a year. I am very shy!

Did 7 reps of 10kg on chest press machine & 30 mins stationary bike cardio. Not good!!!!

I have really skinny arms and am weak lol. What was everyone else's starting weight?

I have no clue how to organise my gym time and what exercises to do.

Seeing no changes this weekend. But my pecs felt very sore for a few days.

Weight: 76kg Goal: 70kg with toned body. Currently very skinny fat.
    Height: 180cm
    Good on you for trying to get more fit. Hope everything goes well.

I'm going to move this over to the fitness blogs area in fitness. You should get better responses over there and maybe some people will be interested in following your progress.

TSR is also joining in with Sport Relief's Walking4Wellness campaign so if you want a bit of motivation to get more active or just for your current activity to contribute to raising funds for Sport Relief you could check that out and join the TSR league.
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5208790

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidddddddd2)
    I don't get out of breath but I just can't physically lift anything higher than 15kg consistently .

I might try alternating 20kg and 15kg tomorrow.
    Then go for something smaller. It is always best to start at a weight that is perfect for you even if it is light compared to struggling on higher weights for weeks.

I forgot to add that if you don't feel much out of energy or aching then it is too light.

(Basically, if you could do like 20 proper reps at once with a chosen weight it is probably too light.)

ReputationRep:
    26th Feb

Chest press

10kg 20 reps
    15kg 15 reps
    20kg 13 reps

100 calories burnt on stationary bike

ReputationRep:
    27th feb

Vertical traction
    25kg 10 reps
    30kg 8 reps
    35kg 10 reps

Technique was awful.. but it was much easier than chest press. I think I can go up to 50kg..

chest press
    15kg 10 reps
    20kg 17 reps

50 calories burnt on stationary bike

I still don't have any structure to my routine! I am also not seeing any improvements at all..

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.