Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Huddersfield is my first choice and I really want to move out, however I've been looking at the wherever or not the place is safe to move to and I've seen mixed responses from people. It's either "the worst place in England" or "your overreacting" any advice from people who live there?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by MRalph)
    Huddersfield is my first choice and I really want to move out, however I've been looking at the wherever or not the place is safe to move to and I've seen mixed responses from people. It's either "the worst place in England" or "your overreacting" any advice from people who live there?
    Every town/city has dodgy areas. People are generally overreacting when they say XYZ is the 'worst place in England/UK/Scotland'.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi @MRalph,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you as wanted to make sure the information we share with you is up-to-date.

We know it can be daunting moving away from home and like a parent or friend would say, it’s about being sensible no matter where you are – on holiday, at home or if you are living away.

Huddersfield is a small, friendly town and the University, community and businesses work together to keep the town safe for our students.

So let’s try and put your mind at ease!

SUPPORT ON CAMPUS
    On campus, we have a security hub open 24/7, with staff constantly monitoring CCTV and being on standby if any person was to ask for assistance getting across the campus.

STUDENT’S UNION
    The Students’ Union has a Community Officer who works closely with the owners of student halls in Huddersfield, including DIGS, IQ and Unite, which are staffed 24/7.

If any student does find themselves in an emergency and has no way of getting home, the Students’ Union is working in partnership with GT Taxis and A1 Taxis to provide safe travel home for those who need it.

SUPPORT IN HUDDERSFIELD
    Bars and clubs in Huddersfield are all part of the Huddersfield Pubwatch to help keep the town safe. There is also a Safe Taxi Policy which outlines that in the event of an emergency, a student can hand over their student ID to the taxi office to get a taxi ride home if they don’t have the cash to pay for it.

If you have any particular questions about safety in Huddersfield, the University has its own Campus Police Officer, Laura Jackson, who is more than happy to answer any questions from students or prospective students. She can be reached at [email protected]
    We hope this helps.
    Susanne UOH

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Im from Huddersfield. I can tell you it is a very nice place. Of course every town or city has bad places but that is more along the outskirts of hudds so i wouldnt worry about it. It has a nice community feel to it when you get involved. It is also fine for people of multi cultural backgrounds.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.