Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I chose to do maths, physics, bio, and chem for my a levels, and i’m currently in year 12. i thought i wanted to go into dentistry or maybe engineering hence why i chose to do those specific a-levels (also my school doesn’t really offer lots of choices) anyways fast forward to the middle of year 12 and i realized i absolutely hate chemistry and i just wouldn’t be able to deal with studying it (although this could be from the teacher) i still really like dentistry as a career but i really don’t think i can go through however many years of uni doing chemistry. so basically now i guess i might do something related to engineering since i absolutely love maths and (most of) physics. but the thing is i’ll have to drop a subject next year in year 13 and almost everyone in this position would drop biology however i just CAN NOT deal with chemistry next year and i understand that bio physics and math aren’t the best combo of subjects and they don’t really complement each other and now i don’t know what to do
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked at any prospective Engineering degrees to see what subjects they require? Manchester's Mechanical Engineering for example only requires Maths, Physics, and one other A Level, so you could drop the Chemistry without a problem. I'm sure there's plenty of others like that.

ReputationRep:
    Most only need maths and physics
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by 1234123456785678)
    I chose to do maths, physics, bio, and chem for my a levels, and i’m currently in year 12. i thought i wanted to go into dentistry or maybe engineering hence why i chose to do those specific a-levels (also my school doesn’t really offer lots of choices) anyways fast forward to the middle of year 12 and i realized i absolutely hate chemistry and i just wouldn’t be able to deal with studying it (although this could be from the teacher) i still really like dentistry as a career but i really don’t think i can go through however many years of uni doing chemistry. so basically now i guess i might do something related to engineering since i absolutely love maths and (most of) physics. but the thing is i’ll have to drop a subject next year in year 13 and almost everyone in this position would drop biology however i just CAN NOT deal with chemistry next year and i understand that bio physics and math aren’t the best combo of subjects and they don’t really complement each other and now i don’t know what to do
    So drop Chemistry - it's not a required subject for Engineering except for some instances of ChemEng. Maths & Physics plus any other A-level is fine for Engineering.

Also, try breathing...

ReputationRep:
    yes pretty much all universities ask for maths and physics (and sometimes fm) but the thing is id feel like i’m wasting my time if i did a level biology knowing that it wouldn’t at all help me while chemistry most likely would

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Also, try breathing...
    haha yeah, sorry about that. i just read my post and realized how panicky i sounded.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by 1234123456785678)
    yes pretty much all universities ask for maths and physics (and sometimes fm) but the thing is id feel like i’m wasting my time if i did a level biology knowing that it wouldn’t at all help me while chemistry most likely would
    If you enjoy biology then it's absolutely fine. Your 3rd A-level doesn't much matter for Engineering.

The other option would be doing FM as your 3rd.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2018

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.