The Student Room Group

Working with someone you dislike

So I have an interview for a new job, but it turns out that someone I don’t like works there. She’s in one of my classes and the year below me, but she always gives me dirty looks and like giggles at me in a mean way with all of her friends. I really don’t know what to do because I hate my current job but this is the only job I have heard back from :frown: I can’t cancel the interview, so if I do get it, I just need some advice on how to deal with this. She makes me feel very insecure and bad about myself
Just open up to her. Maybe she is insecure and hides behind a veil of laughing at others with her friends. If you get to know her maybe she is a good person. Even if she is not then just totally ignore her.
I was in a job once and the people I worked with were horrible - there were two girls who would whisper and talk about me even before I'd left the room. It brought my self-esteem down but if you just rise above the immature and childish behaviour then you will be fine. It's not so much about what they are doing/how they are treating you, but it's more about how you react to it. Her behaviour will only affect you if you allow it to, and it can be difficult to adopt a strong mindset but once you do, you will be able to dismiss any cruel jibes and work to the best of your ability.

Remember... those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. :smile: Good luck!
Reply 3
If you ever have a problem with the way she acts then you tell your manager. You're both old enough to work so she should be old enough to act maturely and not like a 5 year old. You do you in life, don't let others dissuade you.
Original post by moopmeen
I was in a job once and the people I worked with were horrible - there were two girls who would whisper and talk about me even before I'd left the room. It brought my self-esteem down but if you just rise above the immature and childish behaviour then you will be fine. It's not so much about what they are doing/how they are treating you, but it's more about how you react to it. Her behaviour will only affect you if you allow it to, and it can be difficult to adopt a strong mindset but once you do, you will be able to dismiss any cruel jibes and work to the best of your ability.

Remember... those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. :smile: Good luck!

Thank you so much for this advice this has made me feel a tonne better!
Original post by 8472
If you ever have a problem with the way she acts then you tell your manager. You're both old enough to work so she should be old enough to act maturely and not like a 5 year old. You do you in life, don't let others dissuade you.

I just got the job!! I met her today when I walked in she seemed nice so that’s really good!!
Just be civil, you're colleagues. A member of management where I work is not the nicest, quite controlling and sees herself as way better than just ordinary staff. Just smile when I see her and be nice, then it doesn't get worse. I found out she's leaving today and I had to hide my happiness.
Original post by 8472

I agree.
You might not even work the same shifts anyway.
And even if you do, you might be doing different job/working in different areas.
Original post by DrawTheLine
Just be civil, you're colleagues. A member of management where I work is not the nicest, quite controlling and sees herself as way better than just ordinary staff. Just smile when I see her and be nice, then it doesn't get worse. I found out she's leaving today and I had to hide my happiness.

Hahahaha yeah when someone you dislike leaves it’s really hard not to jump with joy 😂 I am very excited to hand in my notice to my current job :P
I wouldn't worry, she's probably a lot different on her own, when she doesnt have to be one of the girls.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by RuthieG101
I wouldn't worry, she's probably a lot different on her own, when she doesnt have to be one of the girls.

Yeah definitely, I spoke to her when I went in and she was like “oh hey!!” And super nice which has really put my mind at rest
good luck with the new job 😊
Original post by RuthieG101
good luck with the new job 😊

Thank you so much!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending